NEW YORK NATIONAL SPEEDWAY

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST NEW YORK NATIONAL SPEEDWAY

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

This is Weird…Talk about ‘small world’. Just taked to a sign customer here in Rockingham…Grew up on Long Island, and was in the Concrete business there. HE DUG UP the burnout Box and rear starting line area, in ’85 ,for the last ‘Slabs’ to be poured for the Condo complex ,built on top of New York National. And he raced a charger at Westhampton, N.Y.National and Islip. Westhampton still running with new name …has a freind still racing there. Big campaign on to get approval of more racing on “the Island” ..politicians blocking everything.

randy-fish

I just got a new coffee table book about Motion Performance. It chronicles the Long Island dealership’s history, but also has lots of photos from New York National Speedway — like the awesome Astoria Chas Corvette, Dennis Ferrara, Bill Mitchell, and many more.

One of the first real race cars Al Hofmann drove was a Baldwin Motion 427 Camaro owned by Neil Kelley, called “Sunday’s Child.” The Kelley family lived in Glastonbury, owned a tool & die shop in Wethersfield, and bought parts from me at Performance Centers of America on Burnside Avenue in East Hartford.

oooops 😯 Time for a New Lost Car toipic …Neil -lets find Him and info on Sundays Child …check “search first”- edit Dino

super-sport-pete

met don kauer at the fest,quite a guy.had a number of good stories to tell me.one was we were BOTH at NY NATIONAL on the last day and might have raced each other as we ran the same class (PRO-ET) and were there during the last year it was open!

musclecarjohn
                    quote Plain Busted:

Ok, here are some more NY National shots.

Andy

Man that Buick looks awfully familar,lol…

don-kauer
                        quote SUPER SPORT PETE:

met don kauer at the fest,quite a guy.had a number of good stories to tell me.one was we were BOTH at NY NATIONAL on the last day and might have raced each other as we ran the same class (PRO-ET) and were there during the last year it was open!

That was a sad day when N.Y. National closed..August 31, 1980…My Comp car “The Equalizer” was at Benza Bros. shop in Pelham and would remain there for the season getting a 4 link and some serious updates and I needed a car for the 80′ season….So looking ahead in December 1979 I purchased a 69′ Chevelle roller from John Di (N.J. Super Gas standout)….Over the winter I took a bone stock LT-1 and freshened it up with a small roller and a set of heads that Casey had laying around his garage…..Frank Lupo gave me a Powerglide and convertor ………I put in a set of 5:13 gears and on a cold opening day in March we were at National Speedway…….Much to my suprise the car went 11:50’s…..Not wanting to run Pro ET in the middle I slowed the car down to run high 11:80’s and it stayed that way all season…..Almost EVERY pass 11:88 ALL season…….I won Pro ET 21 times that final season (in 24 Sundays) and won closing day…………Go figure , one of my slower cars and I had the most fun and my all time best win season 😎 ………Thanks for bringing that up Pete 😀 ……….Don……..

ricky-white
                        Participant
                            quote Randy Fish:

I just got a new coffee table book about Motion Performance. It chronicles the Long Island dealership’s history, but also has lots of photos from New York National Speedway — like the awesome Astoria Chas Corvette, Dennis Ferrara, Bill Mitchell, and many more.

One of the first real race cars Al Hofmann drove was a Baldwin Motion 427 Camaro owned by Neil Kelley, called “Sunday’s Child.” The Kelley family lived in Glastonbury, owned a tool & die shop in Wethersfield, and bought parts from me at Performance Centers of America on Burnside Avenue in East Hartford.

oooops 😯 Time for a New Lost Car toipic …Neil -lets find Him and info on Sundays Child …check “search first”- edit Dino

I had posted a picture of Sunday’s Child at Dover a year ago. Its in the New Guys & Girls section look for post by Ricky White Its in the first page of my posts. The kandy green Camaro was a favor of mine

striker59

I remember the track, went there many times with Tom Ingrao, Toms Speed Shop from Lindenhurst. I packed his parachute, mixed fuel, drove push car a few times, he had a AA fuel dragster. Some of his motor machine work was done in the Bronx. He did his own assembly. Me and some other guys would go out to junk yards and take of hemi heads to be cleaned up and used. His buddy, Bernie Shacker, also ran a dragster. Bernie made one of the first rear engine dragsters after getting burned in a front engine dragster. Blower belt broke and sprayed fuel all over him. Toms is the red dragster in the far lane.

vbob
                                Participant

HEY
                                    Another rainy day up the the attic!
                                    Bumper sticker,ticket stub,rain check!
                                    Anybody remember this race?
                                    ‘V’

Attachments:

dino
                                    Keymaster

Funny all the things you find on FaceBook. There’s a page just for New York National.Found These…First Shot is Opening Day…March 20,1966….”NOW” shot is of the ‘condo’s” ,Greenwood Village.

Attachments:

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.