On The LAGANA TOP FUEL TRAIL

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION On The LAGANA TOP FUEL TRAIL

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    maso
    Participant

Dominic is 0.208 seconds behind the number one qualifier in the 15th spot. Doesn’t look good, really, but these guys can suprise you like they did at Las Vegas. 😎

patina
        Participant

Home NHRA Stories Paul Richards Racing, Lagana gear up for Denver ShareThis

Paul Richards Racing, Lagana gear up for Denver

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Paul Richards Racing has announced that TBC Retail Group has added the 32nd annual Mopar Mile-High NHRA Nationals to the team’s schedule with Dominick Lagana driving the Big O Tires/Service Central Top Fuel dragster at Bandimere Speedway.

Prior to the race weekend, Lagana and fellow Service Central drivers Johnny and Shane Gray will make a special visit to the Children’s Hospital Colorado Foundation July 21, where they will greet oncology children and their families throughout the day. Lagana also will be giving goody bags that have been graciously donated by partners such as Summit Racing, McLeod Clutches, and Paul Richards Racing to children.

“Win, lose, or draw at the track this weekend, this event is the winner in my book,” Lagana commented. “The children are the winners, and I hope with our team’s visit, it will help them get better as they move forward in life. These visits are a big part of what we do as a team. Paul does every display or charity event possible, and my brother Bobby and I love doing them as well,” Lagana said.

Got this from the NHRA.com

dino
            Keymaster

Les M. Sent this:
                Bobby Lagana’s youngest son Dom, has qualified 6th ( Top Fuel ) competeing against the big boys, at the NHRA “Mopar Mile High Nationals” in Denver !!! Not to shabby for the home town boy !

1 99 Del Worsham, Chino Hills CA, Hadman-TFX 3.933 314.53 314.53
                2 12 Bob Vandergriff, Alpharetta GA, Hadman-TFX 3.937 310.55 310.55
                3 22 Doug Kalitta, Ypsilanti MI, Attac-TFX 3.973 312.21 312.21
                4 421 Spencer Massey, Brownsburg IN, DSR-TFX 4.010 303.64 303.64
                5 5 Shawn Langdon, Brownsburg IN, Hadman-TFX 4.042 305.36 305.36
                6 142 Dom Lagana, Scarsdale NY, Hadman-BAE 4.043 303.78 303.78

maso
                Participant
                    quote dinotheweirdo:

Les M. Sent this:
                    Bobby Lagana’s youngest son Dom, has qualified 6th ( Top Fuel ) competeing against the big boys, at the NHRA “Mopar Mile High Nationals” in Denver !!! Not to shabby for the home town boy !

6 142 Dom Lagana, Scarsdale NY, Hadman-BAE 4.043 303.78 303.78

It looks like Dominic will square off against Rod Fuller in the first round with lane choice advantage and with a 0.076 second better qualifying time. This coulld be interesting.

Will it be on ESPN…?

Denver atmosphere is difficult to tune to.

dino
                    Keymaster

Time Differance shows they should have run By now ??? Elim started 11am their time ?

dino
                        Keymaster

JUSt IN !:’Thats Racing ” 🙁
                            Dom Lagana loses to

Rod Fuller
                            ****WINNER**** 0.078 4.059 300.53
                            This is the first time Lagana and Fuller have faced each other in eliminations. This is the first time in the Lagana family has qualified in the top half of the field. Fuller won here in 2007. Lagana with the starting line advantage but then started mixing up cylinders and the engine started eating itself up. He got real loose and he did good job driving keeping it in his lane and getting it back straight. There is oil in Lagana’s lane so this will cost him points and money. Fuller launched hard and made his quickest pass of the weekend for the win. Rod Fuller’s incremental times: 60ft-0.871 sec., 330ft-2.241, 660ft-3.243/257.28 mph.

maso
                            Participant

Bummer… 😐

dino
                                Keymaster

At Zmax:
                                    Lagana launched hard and keep it hooked up to get in the show with his quickest pass of the weekend.
                                    Notice His MPH is 7th fastest…ET is to Qualify…MPH wins races
                                    #1 2 Tony Schumacher 3.771 325.9 3
                                    #2 421 Spencer Massey 3.771 324.9 2
                                    #3 99 Del Worsham 3.787 321.8 1
                                    #4 1 Larry Dixon 3.788 324.1
                                    #5 7 Brandon Bernstein 3.811 322.6
                                    #6 4 Antron Brown 3.813 320.8
                                    #7 552 Rod Fuller 3.843 317.1
                                    #8 22 Doug Kalitta 3.843 306.8
                                    #9 44 David Grubnic 3.857 313.1
                                    #10 255 Clay Millican 3.858 313.2
                                    #11 142 Dominick Lagana 3.882 319.6
                                    #12 12 Bob Vandergriff 3.890 315.7
                                    #13 317 TJ Zizzo 3.900 312.2
                                    #14 5 Shawn Langdon 3.904 306.8
                                    #15 345 Bruce Litton 3.923 310.9
                                    #16 173 Ike Maier 4.007 303.2
                                    #17 323 Chris Karamesines 4.027 290.8
                                    #18 3516 Terry McMillen 7.592 91.08
                                    #19 303 Pat Dakin 8.732 71.03
                                    #20 34 Morgan Lucas 99.999 .00

Sunday, Sept. 18, ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise three hours of eliminations coverage at 8:30 p.m. (ET).

maso
                                    Participant

Eliminations start at 12:00 noon. They will bring up the Pro Stockers first, then the funny cars. I’m going to buy a $55.00 seat for seating section D-R. Those are the expensive seats. I will leave now for an hour drive and try to avoid the rush gate traffic. I will be back home in the eavning. I don’t have a camera.

It looks like Dominic will square off against Spencer Massey in the second line-up of the first round of T/F eliminations tomorrow afternoon with out lane choice.

Top Fuel
                                        ——————————————————————————–
                                        Order for Qualifying Round 4

CONCORD, N.C. – SUMMIT FastNews – Final order after 4 rounds of qualifying in Top Fuel at the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series, Fourth annual O’Reilly Auto Parts NHRA Nationals:
                                        Psn Driver Vehicle ET Speed
                                        1. Tony Schumacher U.S. Army Dragster 3.771@ 325.92
                                        2. Spencer Massey FRAM/Prestone Dragster 3.771 324.98
                                        3. Larry Dixon Al-Anabi Racing Dragster 3.775 324.83
                                        4. Del Worsham Al-Anabi Dragster 3.787 322.27
                                        5. Antron Brown Aaron’s/Matco Tools Dragster 3.802 324.44
                                        6. Brandon Bernstein Copart Dragster 3.811 322.65
                                        7. Doug Kalitta Kalitta Air Dragster 3.840 318.92
                                        8. Rod Fuller Yas Marina Circuit Dragster 3.843 320.43
                                        9. Terry McMillen Amalie Oil/UNOH Dragster 3.856 321.50
                                        10. David Grubnic Rocky Boots Dragster 3.857 313.15
                                        11. Clay Millican Parts Plus Dragster 3.858 313.88
                                        12. T.J. Zizzo Peak Motor Oil Dragster 3.860 316.23
                                        13. Bob Vandergriff C&J Energy Services Dragster 3.861 320.05
                                        14. Shawn Langdon Lucas Oil/Speedco Dragster 3.861 317.49
                                        15. Dom Lagana Service Central Racing Dragste 3.882 319.60
                                        16. Morgan Lucas Geico Powersport/ Lucas Oil Dr 3.884 315.19
                                        ——— Not Qualified ———
                                        17. Bruce Litton Lucas Oil/Stoops Dragster 3.909 315.71
                                        18. Pat Dakin Commercial Metal Fabrications 3.955 291.38
                                        19. Ike Maier Tim Horton/Crosbie/Maier/Pat D 4.007 303.23
                                        20. Chris Karamesines Lucas Oil Dragster 4.026 296.24

@ = Track ET Record

dino
                                        Keymaster

Found This…Cool:
                                            http://dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=238642&Filter=30#indextop
                                            Hope they don’t do what Rockingham Did today…’Cancelled Racing due to Mist-moisture and threatening weather”
                                            As Wayne at Lebanon says…”I’ll get this track dry in 45 minutes…were RACING!”

maso
                                            Participant

We never saw any rain at the Z-Max.

Dominic gave Spencer Massey a very close run in the first round and went back to the pits for the weekend. They spun a pinion bearing in that race. Also… In the fourth qualifying run on Saturday ( I wasn’t there… ) Something happened that might have caused the pinion problem. The track people slopped a little too much of that sticky stuff down on the track at the top end and it caused the Twilight Team to tear up their slicks pretty bad I am told. Perhaps the stress of that had some effect on that pinion bearing that failed in the first round of eliminations today, I don’t know…

I think that it all came down to lane choice this weekend. It seems like about five out of six wins in both nitro classes and pro stock classes all came out of the same lane. Y’know… they can put all that money into a state of the art facility like the Z-Max, but they can’t seem to give you equal lanes… It seems like the few cars in that lane that lost all had cylinder distress.

There must be something special about the way they treat that track surface there because all day Friday and Sunday I never saw one car break traction and make tire smoke except when doing burnouts and even then while doing burnouts it seemed like the tire smoke volume was lower than normal.

I bought an autobiography from Don Garlits and read it up to page 104 while sitting in the grandstands.

Alf LaManna wasn’t with them this weekend.

hvy70ss
                                                Participant

Mas,
                                                    The left lane was coming apart…literally! About the 1000 ft. mark, the concrete was crumbling in pieces. Dave Rieff from ESPN2 did a quick segment on it Sunday with the TV coverage. He actually had chunks in his hand while talking about the differance between the two lanes. Some cars made it down while others had trouble. That place is WAY overated. We all know how they treat the little guy racers too.

Smitty

maso
                                                    Participant
                                                        quote HVY70SS:

Maso,
                                                        The left lane was coming apart…literally! About the 1000 ft. mark, the concrete was crumbling in pieces. Dave Rieff from ESPN2 did a quick segment on it Sunday with the TV coverage. He actually had chunks in his hand while talking about the differance between the two lanes. Some cars made it down while others had trouble. That place is WAY overated. We all know how they treat the little guy racers too.
                                                        Smitty

That makes sense. I didn’t see the ESPN telecast, I’d like to. I don’t have cable TV.

Track owners and management are usially very touchy about lane equality issues and tend to not like people, especially racers talking about it publicly so the ESPN2 expose is suprising. The Z-Max track has ( get this… ) two passway tunnels that run under the track so spectators can change sides without walking all the way around. One of these is right under that 1,000 foot mark, so that concrete structure is subject to a little bit of deflection there and that may be the cause of this problem. That’s my speculation anyway. It could be that problems occur in one lane and not the other because concrete does not always cure uniformly. I was once a concrete batch plant inspector for the state of New York for Interstate highway construction and I know a little about these things.

I sat in the grandstands about half track for the first round of qualifying on Friday and then again on Sunday for the eliminations. I saw all of the nitro and pro stock cars and it was always in that right lane where the win light went on unless the driver there had some serious handling problems or raw fuel blowing out header pipes. Anyone could see that this race came down to “lane choice” and that’s not good.

This could be a serious liability for them at Charlotte Motor Speedway… I hope not.

Maybe Z-Max will have to fill the 1,000 foot tunnel then repair the concrete. Other than that, Z-Max is a very impressive set up. I hope it works out because I am only an hour’s drive from there…!

bobby-s
                                                            maso
                                                            Participant

That is cool…!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.