"Hellzapoppin " FOUND & History

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR "Hellzapoppin " FOUND & History

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Got this tonight & already have return Contact to get in touch with ‘Neighbor ” of Dick.
        ‘Hi,
        Have been on the Dover Drag strip website. My neighbor has the Hellzapoppin dragster and is trying to get some more information about it. Is it possible to get that picture that is on the web site, I have tried to isolate it but it will not allow individual picture.
        If you have any more pictures it would be very helpful. ‘
        Thanks Dick Spadaro

Well Now …Lets Show them Some Hellzapoppin ! …………………..wonder ‘which’ one he has ….see for yourself….

dino
        Keymaster

Gathered All this From 5 collections In our ODF Premium Members Galleries… Ron Abbotts Dover Favorite in these classic moments from the early 60’s……Bet ya didn’t know there were 4 differant ones…look close …1964 first two…caption dates correct on others .

Attachments:

maso
            Participant

He ran Don Garlits at Indy against the gas burning Cassady & Winward Dodge wedge car and got beat only by inches in the final round. I have it on video and it was a very close race.

Ron Abbott is a big time business man still in Albany and somebody told me that he still has one of his “Helz-A-Poppin” cars in a warehouse up there. Use your telephone book.

dino
                Keymaster

MASO –Home Run ! Dug up the info AND Just talked to THE MAN himself—> Ron Abbott ! …wow ! operates American Auto & Plate Glass in Albany. Confirmed there were 4 cars and he has few photos .Said he match raced Garlits a couple of times. I’m shooting him as Many Photos as I can..There’s more in Galleries than posted here so far …Lot more. He’s into boats and has a plane . GOOD possibilty he will FLY IN to THE REUNION in DANBURY ! Watch for him soon, to get on here, when he gets a break from his busy business ……..And the Hits Keep on Coming ! Stay Tuned ……………………. 😀

storm-king

Very, very cool. The first fast dragster I saw. I love the long dragmaster chassis version. Is that Dick Spadaro the same as the old Ford parts distributor?

dino
                        Keymaster

Thats Right ! knew the name rang a bell …from my Street rod -cruisin Days …ordered Parts …Anyway …More Abbott info coming…Gona interview him ,when we can spend the time, and relay the straight Poop to you all. Heres his Bus. website: http://www.americanautoglass.com/

dino
                            Keymaster

found another one …more keep “popping” up. This is the Kent Fuller car that Ron sold to Shirley Muldowney…You’ll see it’s clone in the movie “Heart like a Wheel” as she tries for her license at Englishtown. Ron remembers when Her husband Jack bought it.

Attachments:

dino
                                Keymaster

……..heres a Ralph Rand collection Black & white …just ‘Popped ‘up

Attachments:

dino
                                    Keymaster

Ron just Called And saw the shots …He’s Happy 😀 …And said the guy in second shot down is John Foley …his ace crew Chief and helped him build the motors. John’s son Shawn runs T/D now …and runs Lebanon all the time…Ask Shawn’s Dad about his “Hellzapoppin” days ,And get them on the Forum ! ….Small world -Huh ?

maso
                                        Participant
                                            quote dinotheweirdo:

MASO –Home Run ! Dug up the info AND Just talked to THE MAN himself—> Ron Abbott ! …wow ! …:D

😆 😆 😆

http://www.americanautoglass.com/

dino
                                            Keymaster

Ron is on the phone a Lot with Me now …We’re Burning him a CD of all the Shots we have found…He’s quite the Guy !We both got busy with work , but a planning a long “sit-down “talk. He’s got a wealth of information.

masracingtd1167
                                                Participant

I know Sean ! we race with him all the time .there is an older guy with him at the races must be his father I will ask him the next time I see him.

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Maso …You ain’t seen nothing yet …All new Film and the footage gathered so far, show Ron and the ‘popper” Many times …gona do a “medley”….Opps …wasn’t supposed to reveal “Big Video” secrets

dino
                                                        Keymaster

OH BOY !…Look what I Got in ‘the mail…….Dave Iwanicki from Moroso Said:

” I have photos of Ron Abbott’s “Hellzapoppin” Kent Fuller car. I owned it from 1974-1976 and
                                                            raced it at Connecticut Dragway. I believe I know where it ended up, kind of a good news/bad news story.”

dino
                                                            Keymaster

More From Dave at Moroso…(works in same office as Scott Hall !)…Any way …He bought it from a guy named Warren Dickinson, whio switched it back to gas from injected nitro. Dave ran it for 3 years in B/D . He then sold it to Henry Terrick,who never ran it .Charlie Milican, A photographer in Montville (Dover CSI project)…has photos off it after that …outside weathering away. THEN it shows up at the ’06 or ’07 Bakersfield Reunion ,now owned by the Anderson Family ,who are restoring it as a Jimmy Nix car. Ron said he let Jimmy run it once way back…..and the stories continue…..Ron sending photos of his last “Hellzapoppin” -a BOAT, he raced for ten years .and he’s talkin about flying in to see everybody… Danbury Reunion -Nostalgia Drags!…..OH …Dick Spadaro! …see what you started !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.