RACER REPORTS -Your Day at the Race!

Forums Forums NOSTALGIA DRAGS 1st.DOVER DRAG STRIP NOSTALGIA DRAGS- 2009 RACER REPORTS -Your Day at the Race!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Lets hear how your did ….rounds ,times, how your car ran and which car-class.Basically, Your spin on how you ran and what you thought .This Helps us for next year and Tells The Real “Inside Story” for those that weren’t there OR too busy running yourself. OH- who’d ya see after a bunch of years and maybe a little more about what your doin now . All new Guys Please Say Hi at ‘NEW GUYS “.

smokncobrajet

I guess I’m first? Our second son,second generation Dover brat,Kevin Bleakley ran the white,blue stripe 68 mustang coupe that belongs to the whole family.He ran in the 4 speed class which is where he likes to run when it’s offered.First time trial was a poor 11:87. The mustang got faster as the day went on.He beat a few,a couple of other racers redlighted,and one broke out,helping him all the way to the Final in his class.In the Final it was Kevin and a Pro racer with an 8 and change 55 Chevy outfitted with a Lenco and a parachute.Can you see where this is going? The mustang was dialed in 3 and change seconds slower than the Chevy,so he was out first,got a great start,and the the 55 chevy left on the first yellow after stage 😮 and redlighted.So Kevin coasted to the win with a 12:00 flat. 😎

masracingtd1167
            Participant

Ok here’s my take on this . First of all every thing was well organized for parking, tech and time trial’s.As far as our racing goes it wasn’t one of our best days! The condition’s weather wise were very good high barometer low altitude . and the starting line was pretty good . OUR 60 ft’s were good 1.09 our best any were else has been 1.08 . We realy should have gone fast but when my car made the transition from the concrete to the new ashphalt all hell broke loose the car would head right for the wall . Not a good thing !We still managed to run a best of 7.78 and 172 mph . Once the ashphalt comes around IT will be a very fast track . I really wanted to get high MPH but there is always next year . My hat’s off to the guy with the altered great job !The best part was I felt like I was at Dover again and not much can top that!

maso
                Participant

Okay…

I have seen all the pictures of Pat’s M.G. lined up against Boucher’s coupe at the tree… Now, what happened at the finish line…hummm…???

What did the time slips say…?

😎

patina
                    Participant

At the finish line the MG ran out of gas and had to get towed back. That was one of the bugs, the injection metering valve is way out of whack and the car used 3 gals. of gas in the equivalent of 1mile. But it was worth it.

Pat

tomatohead
                        Participant

PAT ❗ ❗ I think your car uses as much fuel as I drink BEER 😆 ❗ LUV U ❗ tomato 😀

Attachments:

billy-casey

Pat , great job on the car … I was in the stands talking to Bobby Lagana when you and Boucher’s pickup were on the starting line and I said to him …WOULD YOU LOOK AT THIS … I think we both got alittle misty , thanks for the memories… Billy 😥 😀

masracingtd1167
                                Participant

Hey Willie instead of sitting in the stands you should have been helping Pat out with his tune up? I know your not a good spectator ! P.S. Your brother Bob is a real cool guy now I know where all the brain’s in the family went!

dino
                                    Keymaster

Well nobody said it But I will…there were a few we missed due to health reasons, prior committments,work,family,another race or busy schedules. Some had put away cars for the season ,too cold for open roadster street rods. The rain-out even compounded that.I Knew from phone calls that some,were even out of the country.TWO guys that that don’t travel too far anymore were missed by me .Even In all the turmoil of the day,I kept looking and asking Brian,”Have You Seen Smokey And Grover”. A LOT OF People asked me too!.Most don’t know ,that my week ,going into the race was one chinese firedrill. I Wanted to leave thursday..even had that rental PT Cruiser and was loading it up .Worked thurs night til 1 in the morning ,finishing up all the banners. So I never had time all week to Be the “Social Director” and call ALL the people I wanted Too…. Two on the top of the list, were Mark And Jim. Now Most Know they have run the Reunion for 19 years now…which some of you I have told ,why I couldn’t come ,with a New development in our family health area. I call “Smokey” ,”Grandpa Dover” (Read History page) .Even at the race ,we never got to do a lot we wanted too, the running of the race came first .BUT IF I have to Rent a Cab to get those two to the 2nd Annual Nostalgia Drags …They will be there…maybe kicking and Screaming….But they will be there…As Co-Grand Marshalls Of Our “Parade Of Memories”…..and I have the perfect driver for the car,they’ll be in. How could you Not have the First paid customer at an event like this (Grover)? With the inaugural race under our belt, we have plenty of time to polish up our act and schedule. WE missed ya guys ! Already spoke to Tony’s Daughter at track…Big things brewing!

hearse-bill

Well….as you all know by now….NO HEARSE….but will sure try to be racing it next year…..as far as our race day….it was great….registered for 2 classes….vintage and comp…..went 2 rounds in vintage…..and to the final in comp with our 48 Austin…..final was awsome…..both of us ran exactly 2 100ths off our dial….so difference was the 2 100ths he had on the tree…….win light diddnt work so niether of us knew who won at the other end…till we got our time slip….nice flamed trophy for runner up…thanks to all….showed off the hearse album to alot of people….day could not have been better……

maso
                                            Participant
                                                quote Billy Casey:

Pat , great job on the car … I was in the stands talking to Bobby Lagana when you and Boucher’s pickup were on the starting line and I said to him …WOULD YOU LOOK AT THIS … I think we both got alittle misty , thanks for the memories… Billy 😥 😀

Did you read the “Casey… at The Track” poem to him…??? 😆

dino
                                                Keymaster

Need More “Racer Reports” Straight From Guys that Ran. Hey need all the info…I was Kinda busy or stuck in the Tower.

dino
                                                    Keymaster

More from Pat D.:
                                                        “Dino,
                                                        I never felt like the car was anything special just a nostalgic Dover car. So many people came up to me and said they knew the car, how long have I had it and some thanked me for inspiring them to get their car done. They had been following progress on the Dover site. The e-mails have been non-stop I never expected this and am somewhat humbled. .I did come up and introduce my self but you where going nuts and I had to get back to work on the car. Also I need pictures of the recreated photo I got none and videos would make my day.(Got “em -working on it -Dino) I also want to try to get in touch with a guy who came up to me and remembered the car, he said he has a picture of the car with ME in it towing down the return road at Westhampton circa 64. Any way of putting something on the site so that a person looking for a person can connect.” (Just Did-Dino)
                                                        ……………..here ya go Original- 1964-Video Bob…Recreation -2009-Tomatohead at just the right angle

Attachments:

bikeair1

Mucho Thanks! ! ! ! ! ! !

Dean:

Just a quick note of appreciation. Last weekend at Island Dragway was a wonderful experience. You were waaaaaaaay too busy to talk but I did stop by to say hi (love the T-Shirt BTW). The event was just magic for a geezer like me to relive a period of my life that was truly exciting. I was able to hook up with Ray Hinkley, my best friend in the world during HS, and take an amazing stroll down memory lane. Your website and leadership led to this reunion. I am greatly appreciative. My mind is still in sensory and memory overload.

While I never raced at Dover, I was a devoted fan during this passage of my life. I laugh now about how far Wingdale seemed from Katonah while I was trying to scape together enough money for gas for my VW and entry fee at the races. Getting to spend the time in pits at Island was great as I could never justify the cost of a pit pass at Dover (As I recall minimum wage at the time was somewhere between $0.75 — $1.00 per hour).

Ray raced a Thunderbird with Jerry Ingersol after I flew the coup to college and my life away from NY. Getting to share the day with him and Jerry racing his Mercury (winner “Best Clone”) was terrific. Also I have become a lifelong Volvo nut, certifiable. Meeting the Morehead clan and their amazing 544 drag car was wonderful. These folks are great! I wonder what they could do with a twin-turbo powered Volvo of today? I will be submitting article regarding their car to Rolling Magazine, the publication of the Volvo Club of America. What fun!

Thanks much for all your efforts. They say that people change over time, but I can attest that in many ways you seem the same as in HS. The same positive, engaging, wildly energetic, “band conductor” in search of a band. It’s great to see what started out with you drawing all those Rat Fink cartoons in math class has led to.

Congratulations on your successes! I hope to join you all again in 2010.

Scott Peper
                                                            Gladstone, MO

PS: Great thanks for early call to cancel on 11/07. I was able to save the expense of two airline tickets from Kansas City to New York.

THANKS SCOTT >>CHECK YOUR LINKS HERE>>>THEY ARN”T LINKING >>>HOW “BOUT THAT ALL THE WAY FROM MO.!!!

cgaswillys

Dad, My son John and I had a blast. We ran our Willys in the Dover Vintage class. this car raced at Dover in the 60’s. Any way there were 97 cars in our class and our old dinosaur with the original 1966 suspension got down to the last 3 cars before a cold track bit us. Ol’ Sandy got real loose on the 1-2 shift and I had to lift and give up the run, that’s racing. Here’s a shot my 11 year old son got of our first pass of the day. We were the 4th pair of car to go down the new track and I had my best ever 60′ time on this pass. Alreadt looking forward to next years event.

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.