SOUTH GLEN FALLS DRAGWAY

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST SOUTH GLEN FALLS DRAGWAY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Now we believe, this track has not got it’s proper respect with it’s contribution the regional racing.Not much available BUT some really neat historys and stories. It was Shirley “Cha-cha” Muldowney’s home track ! plus some other legends called it home. IF They rained out …we’d get their guys at Dover ,or the lure of a “Money Meet” would bring them in. Close comparison to Dover….Small, local…out of the way..tight-knit operation….with a loyal following. Opened ?…Closed?…Why?

thekidd312

was a good drayway i ran there alot of times when my uncles butch and i had a tennco gas station in sloansville ny little one bay and made a good living out of it. we had 3 409 62 chevys 2 hardtops 1 wagon also a 63 421 2/4 4speed poncho and a 67 283 m/stock nova later a 63 1/2 427 ford and reb 390 machine. then move dopwn here at the time pine bush. later was up state visting ran my street 65 chevy 283 4speed won class had choice of trophy or cash forgot how much 10=15 bucks back then took money for gas to get home and at 32.9 for high test got home money in pocket. those was the days. i thank my uncle for getting me into dragracing. did street race for a time for living we was all dumb one one time when young. life goes on. yes lets remember s.g.f.dw

jvore

Hey thanks Dino, for this opportunity to keep the SGF drag strip memories alive! I visited the strip many Sundays from 1962-64, with friends and racers, some time hitch hiking up to Lake George for the weekend, then thumbing down to the strip to catch a ride back to Cohoes. Neat old strip, nothing elaborate, just good racing and friendship, you could always find some one you knew! I’ve been in touch with some old SGF racers, and putting together a photostory of the strip and action, so always looking for SGF action or strip pics to expand the media, so if any one has any shots please post or e-mail me (fstnova8@aol.com). A lot of the racers visited both strips on occasion, so I know the Dover guys can help, well thanks in advance, Jim.

john-sachs-sr
                Participant

Quick story,cause it seems I get timed out,doing 1 finger typing.
                    7-5-70,Date of race
                    We had run the first round,and almost wound up on the Northway(hiway) (couldn’t stop in the short shutoff area).I told the track manager I wouldn’t make another pass unless they did something with the shut off area.They wound up moving the starting line back about 500 feet.Virgin ground,both cars got sideways,and almost took out the starter.
                    Guess who won the match(2 out of3)? 😀
                    John

Attachments:

jvore

To help answer why South Glens Falls went under, the offical story is that they used waste oil from the GE plant turbines to keep the dust down on the return road. When the oil was discovered to contain hazardous PCB’s, it was declared a hazardous clean up site, by the government. Truth is probably that they yealded to development from a neighboring mobile home court! Jim. 😈

dino
                        Keymaster

Nice poster …had the same problem at dover..Chet & joe put “Something ” down in the dirt pits and it got dragged onto the starting line on all the front stocker tires.

jvore

Here is how South Glens Falls looks today, the end of another era! Jim. 👿

Attachments:

jvore

To show why they put down so much oil, here’s a shot of SGF, with Don Garlits smoking the tires in near lane, photo by Bob Dastalto. Look at the sand return lane in foreground!Jim. :mrgreen:

Attachments:

dino
                                    Keymaster

Found this in the “Dino-Vault’ with Oakes,Lagana ,Flynn……………like ’65

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

May 1965….Doc Has a good day at So.Glens Falls !

Attachments:

jvore

Hey guys, nice additions for SGF! Here’s a shot from my HAMB link of the strip in the heyday, Jim. 😎

Attachments:

super-sport-pete

hi guys,was at lake george area and hemmings had a small bit with directions, i found it! i walked into the shut off area as sachs said could hear 87 noise.mosquitoes got the better of me.kind of eerie,like a cemetery.i found it on bing maps,but i don’t know how to post it.gurus help.it is behind a car dealer rt 9 autoworld 1055 saratoga rd.12803,at reynolds rd.this place deserves some space.thanks.

jvore

Here is what I believe is the old strip as seen from Google maps, it is located behind the Autorama car sales, as indicated before, Jim. 😉

Attachments:

super-sport-pete

i just spoke to a truck driver at work that i have known for a couple of years. he saw me reading PHR and turns out he is a racer from upstate NY who raced at south glens falls, lebanon,and fonda?will get more info.said lot of local problems closed track.went to dover for “BIG SHOWS” only.guess it was more well known than i knew.

dino
                                                            Keymaster
                                                                quote dinotheweirdo:

Found this in the “Dino-Vault’ with Oakes,Lagana ,Flynn……………like ’65

Holy-Moly…Just noticed the “11th Commandnment” with Joe Bambace was running Too. Go back to page one here to see ad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.