SOUTH GLEN FALLS DRAGWAY

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST SOUTH GLEN FALLS DRAGWAY

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    breatle62

I can remeber as a kid going w/my 2 older brothers to watch the drags at SGF …..I remember i was scared of the noise at 1st, but got used to it… 😆

digger

i aso raced at south glens falls as a 16-17 yr old kid. i live in port henry ny. in my town is a 57 chevy “the flying farmer” owned by norm monette. it also raced and won alot at south glens falls. it was restored about two yrs ago

babycakes
            Participant

I also remember the ‘short’ shut down area in the mid sixties running in the 10’s,kinda run outa room fast! Didn’t return till 1970,ran a G/S Boss Mustang (mid 11’s) much better! Nice crowd of people there it seemed at S.G.F Dragway.

digger

i ran this car at south glens falls when i was 16-17 won two trophys and a jacket also ran 6 times at north hudson and won 6 times

Attachments:

super-sport-pete

anybody hear of “NORTH HUDSON DRAGWAY”? in june i was in lake george, and took a ride 40 miles on 87 to north hudson ny. i read about it in jalopy journal-a car show at firehouse on rt 9. its virtually a GHOST town. the dragstrip is STILL there! its a street. couldn’t find much info about the place.anybody know?

babycakes
                        Participant

S/S Pete,you got my curiousity,I don’t remember it either,so I went to google search,and found this info.It was off Rt.9,5 or4 miles north of where ‘Frontier Town was.Off of Rt.9 you turned onto Dunley Rd.,followed that to Wonderview RD. which there is a housing development,where the ‘strip’ was.It was an 1/8 th mile strip from the early 60’s I guess.I also scrolled down to the bottom of the first menu (North Hudson Dragstrip) and under the title ‘View topic Hudson NC Dragstrip,click on and it’s under Malibu Racing.com.scrolling down’it shows photos of the ‘strip’ apparently after it closed a few years after.I still can’t believe I never heard of it! Hope this helps ya Pete.

super-sport-pete

i did not say ,but in jalopy journal,the post said that SOUTH GLENS FALLS DRAGWAY was last listed for sale for $349,000.00! can’t use it ,but you can say you “live” at the dragstrip!

dino
                                Keymaster

JUST FOUND THIS…Cool:

dino
                                    Keymaster

We need Bucksnort to add the missing pages here! When Did it open?…when did it close?

dino
                                        Keymaster

hey Dino, I, but it seems as though you have some great pics from CT and other tracks, anything from Glens Falls??? It may have even been to Dover a few times, But I know it was definately run at GF, It spent most of its life as a street racer but it did hit the track occasionally, its been in my family forever and I would love to find some pics of it on the track….My family lived in the schenectady area through the early 1970s then My mother moved back to CT . Chuck Fisher originally from Seymour,Ct. HEY get this He Told Me “I have a few pics of other cars they owned also that would have been commonplace at Glens Falls, and I own the 69 SC Rambler that is in your photo archives that says SC/Rambler by Stahls on the side”…. it was only raced for the 69 season then a new Lighweight Javelin took it place, the lettering was removed from the SC and it was sold as a used car, it still runs the exact same running gear from its Dover days but the wheels and paint are back to orig now…. I would love to reletter it and put the cragars back on it though..”

Attachments:

babycakes
                                            Participant

I go passed the ‘ole’ track,at least a 1/2 dozen times a year, as it’s not too far from me. Unless you were familiar where it was, you’d never know it was ever there! I’ve talked to a few guys around my neighborhood,that used to race, or spectate there years ago. They said it was a ‘ritual’ every Sunday (like Dover) with all the guys and gals, and ‘run whatcha brung’! And have a ‘great time of it! I’ve tried to get ‘any’ old photos of the track from them, with ‘no’ luck! Either they were lost, thrown away, what have you? Bottom line…another ‘good’ drag strip is but a ‘memory’ for those who remember it!

dino
                                                Keymaster

Bucksnort started a Facebook page for it…and posted about a dozen or so photos he had…when I get a break (Ha-Ha) I’ll copy -paste & post em here .

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.