STAMFORD STREET RACERS

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST STAMFORD STREET RACERS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    fastlane

I FOUND A FEW PHOTO TONIGHT OF A COUPLE OF GUYS WHO LIVED IN STAMFORD STREET RACERS FROM STAMFORD IN A CAR BE SURE AND CHECK THE LICENSE PLATE OUT . 😮 THIS WAS LOCATED IN A STAMFORD FACEBOOK WEB PAGE STARTED BY PEOPLE WHO LIVED HERE AND REMENISE ABOUT ITS HISTORY / MY HOME TOWN FROM THE EARLY NINETEEN HUNDREDS UP TO PRESENT DAY. FASTLANE. 😎

dino
        Keymaster

Post at the page and tell ’em about the site…got a link?

gtx-matt

Wow, I know that car. The last I knew it was owned by a guy named Joe Verico who restored it. Years ago (1980s) it was owned by a guy named Pat Dougherty who is a good friend of a good friend of mine. Stayed in Stamford its whole life pretty much, it was a 440 Six Pack, 4 speed, Super Track Pack car. The original owner was arrested for racing it down at Kings, I don’t remember his name though. Do you have a link to the facebook page? This is the same car, probably in the late 80s.

Attachments:

fastlane

THE GUY DRIVING HIS NAME WAS BUTCHIE PUGLIESE I BELIEVE . THE FACEBOOK PAGE AREA TO CHECK FOR IS “IF YOUR REALLY FROM STAMFORD [CT] THEN YOU WOULD REMEMBER “. THE ARE OVER 3000 PHOTOS THERE . ONLY VERY FEW HAVE CARS IN THEM SOME OLD WESTSIDERS AND HANGOUTS . THERE WAS ONE I FOUND BUT COUD NOT DOWNLOAD IT CAUSE ITS ALREADY HERE OF ALL THE F.T.A. GUYS FROM STAMFORD CT . IN FRONT OF THE DOVER TOWER. DINO CAN PROBABLY ADD IT ON . DO YOU KNOW WHICH ONE I MEAN DINO ? CHRIS FASTLANE . 😎

gtx-matt
                        quote fastlane:

THE GUY DRIVING HIS NAME WAS BUTCHIE PUGLIESE I BELIEVE . THE FACEBOOK PAGE AREA TO CHECK FOR IS “IF YOUR REALLY FROM STAMORD [CT] THEN YOU WOULD REMEMBER “. THE ARE OVER 3000 PHOTOS THERE . ONLY VERY FEW HAVE CARS IN THEM SOME OLD WESTSIDERS AND HANGOUTS . THERE WAS ONE I FOUND BUT COUD NOT DOWNLOAD IT CAUSE ITS ALREADY HERE OF ALL THE F.T.A. GUYS FROM STAMFORD CT . IN FRONT OF THE DOVER TOWER. DINO CAN PROBABLY ADD IT ON . DO YOU KNOW WHICH ONE I MEAN DINO ? CHRIS FASTLANE . 😎

That was his name, I couldn’t remember all I could think of was Bud but I knew that was wrong. He managed to blow the stock engine up while it was still under warranty as I recall.

john-sachs-sr
                        Participant

We used to go up to Main St.(don’t remember E. or W.)on Friday nights with the bikes.Talked shit,put up money 😉 ,went to 95(the overpass was where the spectators watched) or rt.7 in Norwalk,and got er done.
                            Good money earned. 😀 😀
                            John

don-kauer

Hey John……..I sold my old GS (Tucci’s old bike) to a guy in Stamford who ran there…….Only remember his first name..Willie…….I had alot of fun on the street with that bike but back in the day I only got 2 passes out of the air tank, then I had to shift manually…In 1st it would spin the tire and 2nd it would stand up then finally settle down..With the 4″ arm when it stood up it looked like a long way down…………. 😀 😀 😀 ………..Don……

digger

this was my stamford street racer, it was like a second job, made more money on the street than i did at redman chevrolet

Attachments:

fastlane

HEY DIGGER WHAT YEAR AND HOW LONG DID YOU HAVE THE SPEED SHOP ON COVE RD AND AVERY ST. AND DO REMEMBER THE V.W. YOU SOLD TONY PISANO WITH THE FLATHEAD MOTOR MOUNTED UP FRONT. WE GOT BUSTED JUST PAST THE OLD SHOP TRYING TO TOW START IT DOWN COVE RD ONE DAY . THE COPS SAID O.K. THATS FAR ENOUGH YOU KIDS TAKE THAT THING HOME AND DONT EVER BRING IT OUT HERE ON THE STREETS AGAIN OR WE WILL IMPOUND IT . 😆

digger

i had the shop for 4 yrs, then went to work at hot rod magazine and then cars magazine

dino
                                            Keymaster
                                                quote digger:

this was my stamford street racer, it was like a second job, made more money on the street than i did at redman chevrolet

…………..nobodys mentioned any ‘figures’….what was a typical weekly run worth…have to adjust to dollar value back then…..what would it be now?

fastlane
                                                    quote digger:

i had the shop for 4 yrs, then went to work at hot rod magazine and then cars magazine

i saw you mention got outta the service in 67 . so what years were you in that place 68 till 71 ? cause i remember cove pizza went in there either in to that store on the corner either before or after that . just curious . chris heres a old photo of that corner now from the stamford facebook area . hey dave and is there any chance you have any old photos of your speed shop when you were in there back then .

digger

cove pizza was across the street,and i have only one pic and will put it on later

digger

this was speed specialties in the cove in stamford

Attachments:

john-sachs-sr
                                                            Participant

…………..nobodys mentioned any ‘figures’….what was a typical weekly run worth…have to adjust to dollar value back then…..what would it be now?[/quote]

Money was VERY good……… Our problem was once we delievered an ass whipping, no one else wanted to race us. 😡 We built motors for a number of Stamford street racers, and it seems that the ones that couldn’t ride well got the races. 😳 As soon as they put a good jockey on the bike, no one wanted to race. 😮
                                                                John

FWIW, our bike would run high 9.40’s, street trim, no nwheelie bar. 1982.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.