THE NEW YAWK BOYZ /and Ct. guys Racin on THE STREETS

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST THE NEW YAWK BOYZ /and Ct. guys Racin on THE STREETS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

DOVER GUYS seemed to do “A little testing” during the week 😀 IN SOME ‘border line” areas…like the Bronx public Streets! and other areas…… WHATS your memories of the “Dover Guys’ off the Track but goin fast ? ? ?

bossguy

I remember the guys from Pelham Speed, they would come over to Charlie Castaldos shop and chat with Rick Rickman. I was told they were regulars on the Hutch. I used to go out to Connecting highway to watch or participate. The funny part is that I was in the Coast Guard Reserve at Ft Totten in Queens, my reserve unit was about 95% cops and firemen including one from Highway 1 and 2 from Highway 3. We were driving down to Governors Island for something and I was dozing in the back seat. Hwy 1 was riding shotgun. I glanced up as we got on the Connecting Hwy and I absent mindedly stated,”Oh connecting Highway, I used to come out here street racing”. With that Hwy 1 spins around in his seat and grabs me by my lapels, screaming,”How many times did I chase You”! Then he started laughing and telling me about his encounters with street racers on the Hutch. Lots of funny stories.

maso
            Participant
                quote bossguy:

I remember the guys…Rick Rickman.

Richard Rickman passed away this last summer up in Cape Cod. The Rickman brothers were my across the street neighbors and I went to school with Ronald.

billy-casey

Hi maso and bossman.. speed casey here .. ricky was a great guy , I first met him around 1960 when he had a new black 6o chevy with a 348 ,tri-power ,and a 4 speed . he used to hang around the lunchenette on pondfield rd.and the bronxville bowling alleys.I was only about 14 then .. Billy

dino
                    Keymaster

How ’bout you Ct. Guys ? I HEARD YOU late at night in Danbury….Stamford had a few Late night “excursions” …didn’t it ? related: 😆 Bobby LaRegina used the, not open yet sections of I-684 in the Mt. Kisco N.Y. area, to test his Altered

billy-casey

When I had my shop on tuckahoe rd. in yonkers we used the not open yet sections of the sprain prky .. it was great , very long straight and smooth concrete with good bite .. alot of money runs in the mid 60’s and earlly 70’s
                            Billy

billy-casey

I remember one night around 1972 we towed Ralph Popora’s camaro to stamford
                                to race a chevelle ( the fastest in the area) we raced on the side road of 95
                                there were thounds of people there . and then we ran the same car a few weeks later on the not open yet rt 7 in norwalk .. Ralph never new about it , he was away at school. 😆 😆 😆 Billy

bob-lasko
                                Participant

In the late 60’s we would run alongside 95 at exit 9, And the clarol 1/8i n Stamford. Then in the early 70 and 71 would run a the the king’s department store road faster car would go to westchester airport road or norwalk rt 7. After the accedent at kings thing just went away.

Hey Bill, Have a lot of time to spend on the web 😆 😆 🙄

gene-terenzio-sr
                                    Participant
                                        quote Bob lasko:

In the late 60’s we would run alongside 95 at exit 9, And the clarol 1/8i n Stamford. Then in the early 70 and 71 would run a the the king’s department store road faster car would go to westchester airport road or norwalk rt 7. After the accedent at kings thing just went away.

We used to run from the west ave entrance ramp to the next exit on 95, I stole my brother Vic’s 39 ford coupe with a 401 Buick in it when i was 14 years old to race Billy Velez, now known as Billy Rodgers H/D Sportster, I hit the l/s fender coming out of the garage, should of quit right there ,but no, this guy used to bust my balls about how he could beat the car, so i met him on the 95 entrance we waited till their was no traffic and went at it i just stood there spinning the tires he was 2 3 hundred feet gone i shifted to second gear and started to gain on him but it was to late, he smoked me bad, I’m not even going to tell you what Vic did. billy would never let me forget that day, i used to cal Vic’s car Poison Ivy, billy started calling his bike Calamine Lotion.

bob-lasko
                                        Participant

Gene. not quite as old as you are 😆
                                            Bob Lasko
                                            SS/CS

anonymous

the kids that got hurt at kings dept store was tim troutman and his girl friend, tim lost a leg in the deal. i owned the local speed shop in those days. the mayor called me and told me to try to stop it. there was no way to stop it, it was way out of hand.

billy-casey

your probably right Bob wasn’t sure of the year ,thats why we reraced on rt 7 the road was not good for fast cars , Ralph’s car was a high 11 sec and almost crashed.. how did yopu do at the dutch … Billy

quote Bob lasko:

bob-lasko
                                                    Participant

Dave, I Know about the accident,I was there the night it happened.
                                                        Bill I won the 1st round and then I went home to take my wife out for dinner for our anniversary.
                                                        Bob Lasko
                                                        SS/CS

lawman

Gentlemen,

I just joined the board and this post brings back a lot memories. My Uncle Hampton Dais lived right around the corner from Kings on Henry Street and definitely remember the racing that used to go on there and on the side road of I-95 and the Hutchinson River Parkway.

Also, Mr, Terenzio, I remember coming to your shop on Myrtle Avenue with my uncle Hamp and his son in the 1970’s when you and your brother had your cars there.

Great times!

gene-terenzio-sr
                                                            Participant
                                                                quote Lawman:

Gentlemen,

I just joined the board and this post brings back a lot memories. My Uncle Hampton Dais lived right around the corner from Kings on Henry Street and definitely remember the racing that used to go on there and on the side road of I-95 and the Hutchinson River Parkway.

Also, Mr, Terenzio, I remember coming to your shop on Myrtle Avenue with my uncle Hamp and his son in the 1970’s when you and your brother had your cars there.

Great times!

Yes they were good times, Sorry to hear that Hamp passed, He was a good friend . pass my sympathy to his son.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.