THE NEW YAWK BOYZ /and Ct. guys Racin on THE STREETS

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST THE NEW YAWK BOYZ /and Ct. guys Racin on THE STREETS

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Thats cool VB…part one..looks like you can see the whole movie…spyed up to Part 11

bobrizzi

I am new on this site the ‘”short sprain” in yonkers,ny was a local strip in the mid 60’s and early 70’s.we used to shut it down from jackson ave. south there used to be a log at that point ,a perfect spot for burn outs and we would mark off the 1/4 mile with end cars.=When Casey came out we would shut the whole thing down and not let anybody get on it.it used to have a little drive off area where you could hook up the mufflers at the end of your run if you were getting off at Tuckahoe Rd.I remember one night I was under my car hooking up the mufflers and somebody standing next to the car kicked my leg the guy was wearing boots I came out all pissed off. ANOTHER COP ANOTHER CONTEST OF SPEED TICKET…. BUT WE WENT HOME WITH SOME $$$$$ IN OUR POCKET

maso
            Participant
                quote bobrizzi:

… ‘”short sprain” in yonkers,… from jackson ave. south there used to be log at that point …Tuckahoe Rd…
                timh

as a member of THE DANBURY MODIFERS before DOVER came to be. we never raced on the street???? but we did some late nite testing at the old fair grounds!!! with lookouts at each end of the road to make sure no innocent by standers got hurt or heaven forbid a close run got interrupted, MARKS, 56 & my 58 impala. tim

bobrizzi

Tim it is kinda funny that you said innocent bystanders.I did alot of street racing and to this day I still remember the following incident: I ran a 68′ 427 Chevelle from Yonkers,NY one night on Central Ave. we all got together at the Sunoco Station ( Nick and Johns where Billy Casey’s wrench man Tony Masella worked) I was running some guy from the Bronx we went from a roll as we hit the end of our 1/4 mile just before the Howard Johnsons some car came off the Thruway exit (we forgot to block it off) all I could see was two little kids faces in the rear window in terror as I tried to shutdown and keep control.We all learned something that night it was “our thing “but always protect the innocent bystanders, RIZ~~~

dino
                        Keymaster

Riz! ….where ya been ?…Chuck Caman just commented on the use of 2-way radios to alert ,if the cops were coming .

rebel-rr1

Looking for information about my ’57 Corvette. Also looking for any owners before 1971. It was purchased in Yonkers in 1971. May have been a street racer there. Because it was close to Dover, it’s appearance and the fact that it had a roll bar, I believe it may have some track history. As far as I can tell, the car had a small block (but who knows?), headers, a roll bar that went through the passenger seat, some kind of traction bars, was a dark red or maroon color with a black interior, a Grant racing steering wheel and a Ramchargers-Mopar hood scoop. This scoop arrangement was odd for a Corvette! You can see much of this in the attached picture. The last owner I found says he bought the car in 1971, on a side street off Yonkers Ave. near the Argonaut Diner. The 1971 buyer’s name is Chuck Cartalemi. He’s a big car guy from Croton, so some of you may know him as an owner-driver of the Camaro drag car ” Rampage”. I see he ran at the recent reunion with that car. The owner after him came from Putnam, but I don’t know what he did with the car if anything. I’m hoping that some of you might remember the car or the previous owners and give me some history.
                                I’ve also gotten some names of people from the Yonkers area who were into racing that might have known about the car, but I can’t reach them to ask. They are: Pete Spiak who with a guy named Al were into building crazy Vettes,( Al’s son might still own a bike shop in Yonkers), Frankie San Marco (owned a red ’57 Vette), Al Picarello ( built early Vettes, maybe in Mt. Vernon), Frank or Nick Toritto from the same area and a couple of Izzo brothers. Anyone ring a bell?
                                Also, can anyone put me in touch with Flip Bonito who ran Flip’s Speed Shop? He may have a wheel and tire store in Yonkers or Mamaronek. He may recognize the car and know a previous owner.
                                I’m attaching a picture of the car from 1971. Thanks for your help.

yonkersbrad
                                    quote dinotheweirdo:

Seems to me there was some active Street Racing in Mahopac,N.Y….My Brorther was always taking his ’53 ford up there in the mid -sixties…”to go to the Drive-in” …yeah right.

where in mahopac..???

yonkersbrad

anyone remember sat night racing on the sheriden expressway in the bronx..?? or…hunts point market..?? used to race with bruce gibbs down there

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.