The Planning Has Begun

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Oh Boy…Here we go again…Lots of things ALREADY Formulating to make it Better-Smoother- more attractive to watch and participate.
        >>> I’m pleased to announce Richie Head has Volenteered And immediately “hired’ to be my assistant to coordinate things and be my back-up. His son will take over the driving duties of his car ,freeing him up to be my right hand man .Rich has extensive event experience running “Dover Days” in Wingdale and being instrumental with administration duties with NETO…And best of all ,He’s just your basic “Nice Guy”. We will both be working behind the scenes now and up to the race.”Your Northeast Dover Drags Rep”
        NEW FOR 2015 . . . . . . . . .
        … will Confirm all and supply details as they get finalized:

NO OPEN TRACK TEST & TUNE on Saturday for Lebanon Valley Regulars- Only Cars entered in Dover Eliminators-NETO ,ECG, Nendra.

NEW FEATURE will be NOSTALGIA DRAG CAR DISPLAY …with many ‘perks’ for participants …Restored -Original Vintage Racers.

ALL new Car Show Format is being planned

DOVER ORIGINAL CARS in Reserved Pit Area ( near where Fuelers Were this year.)

patina
        Participant

Dino I might also suggest a Dover Nostalgia Racer committee made up of Dover car drivers to be a voice to you and the track. NETO, East Coast Gassers, Nendra, etc all have their thing but the “Dover Guys” don’t. I would volunteer as I’m sure VB and Billy Massiello would be interested. We sit in the staging lanes for an hour and no one listens to us. I have some suggestions (complaints) that I would like brought up.

Ciao, Pat

hvy70ss
            Participant

Dino…You’re in good hands with Rich. He’s been excellent with NETO over the years. I agree with Pat also regarding a committee for Dover guys. As always, count me in.

Bobby Smith

dino
                Keymaster
                    quote patina:

Dino I might also suggest a Dover Nostalgia Racer committee made up of Dover car drivers to be a voice to you and the track. NETO, East Coast Gassers, Nendra, etc all have their thing but the “Dover Guys” don’t. I would volunteer as I’m sure VB and Billy Massiello would be interested. We sit in the staging lanes for an hour and no one listens to us. I have some suggestions (complaints) that I would like brought up.

Ciao, Pat

WE offered for years a DOVER RACING TEAM …and nobody ‘ponied’ Up. I think Wayne does a remarkable job ,in weekly Valley events, Division 1 meets and look at the yearly schedule of what he oversees .Its not his first rodeo. 10 minutes in the tower seeing how he watches things like a hawk and the exact readouts of every car-bracket would eliminate most of your concerns. I did pass along your comments to him .I’ll post his reply.

kman
                    Participant

good lord willin’ i’ll be there draggin’ the camera around…

frank-j-majauskas
                        Participant

I was asked to post John Shimer’s support for Patina’s motion to correct some
                            issues to eliminate the lengthy wait for Dover cars in the staging lanes at the
                            next DDS Crags @ The Valley next year. It’s just brutal to have drivers waiting in a staging lane for an hour or more ❗ I’m sure that changes will be made ❗ ty

Frank… 😎

super-sport-pete

dino. I was parked next to another Dover Racer from the sixties who was there with his son with a car they just put together. Once we started talking we could not stop. what we came up with was to recognize the racers on their entry card and announce that to show the spectators who we were. you do a good job with the “stars” but us dirt pit guys get left out. don”t tell us to letter the car, we race street cars just like the old days. it will also serve to “roll call” who actually shows up. Pete.

dino
                                Keymaster
                                    quote SUPER SPORT PETE:

dino. I was parked next to another Dover Racer from the sixties who was there with his son with a car they just put together. Once we started talking we could not stop. what we came up with was to recognize the racers on their entry card and announce that to show the spectators who we were. you do a good job with the “stars” but us dirt pit guys get left out. don”t tell us to letter the car, we race street cars just like the old days. it will also serve to “roll call” who actually shows up. Pete.

……well lets get this going with little background operational info….. into the tree main computer….All morning long, a track staff person manually types in YOUR entry card Name -city -state matched with your car # When you stage ,a separate computer screen displays that info with your opponents info with the dail-ins.That gets recorded. Wayne prints out those round sheets as a guide to the next round. The announcer..ME OR the track guy have the option to say who’s in what car and where they’re from. It’s right on the screen. To do what you suggest would require a card filing system ,numerically in order to pull by car # a driver profile that>You the driver would have to fill out and submit. You are the source of the information ‘Being An Original Dover Guy” with what car-year-class you ran. I wish I had all that Info in my memory banks -I Don’t. I did this at Dover and had the time in the morning to wander the pits and ask and get more info with my clipboard. When tech was over the cards came to the tower. Picture wading through about 250 cards as a guy staged to tell everyone,”Here’s so & So from blah-blah and he’s got a 327 from Fred’s Speed Shop…considering it was another blank red Camaro. At the Valley there’s 6 computer screens being used by three people non-stop for various operations. Plus the entire track crew is blabbing non-stop on the radios from all points coordinating things.To”get a word” in is sometimes impossible. If we don’t have information -we can’t relay it over the PA. So …IF the issue is to Recognize a racer as a “Dover Original” to the crowd….My solution would be ….Yes- Add another procedure to the operation ,print up “DRIVER PROFILE CARDS” distribute them in Tech and it would be up to the driver to fill out and submit to a central ‘depository, like the tower-goodie booth Or ? .That would then have to be sorted and organized by …? me -I guess…and as the opportunity is available we can get ‘the word out’ ….Just a quick note…All these requests have to be done by “someone” and it takes time -expense and planning…. and I don’t get too many replies when I ask for help each year.
                                    SEE
                                    http://doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=4373
                                    …0 replies-NO PHONE CALLS
                                    With Rich Head on board now…a lot of this will be able to be addressed .In the first 2-3 races, I was able to Spend Time on the Mic…Things have gotten more involved and I hope I can, next year, Be back on the airwaves more. My BEST Solution to ‘Telling The Folks …”IT’s A real Original Dover Guy” is to supply the real McCoys with a Decal ,placed on top rear of drivers window (visible from stands) that says DOVER ORIGINAL RACER . To get one -we’re back to the Driver Profile cards. When you fill it out and submit you get the decal. Oh-Decals cost money, have to designed and produced, with the Profile card printed and the whole ‘new’ added format coordinated. NOT as Simple as requested. That’s why we need sponsors to foot the bill and help to get stuff done. The old saying in churches is 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people.

masracingtd1167
                                    Participant

I think the answer would be to run the classes in sessions so there would not be such a long wait in the lanes . You could wait in your pit area until your class is called .

dino
                                        Keymaster
                                            quote masracingtd1167:

I think the answer would be to run the classes in sessions so there would not be such a long wait in the lanes . You could wait in your pit area until your class is called .

That’s WHAT WE DID previous And folks complained they didn’t get enough Runs SO we switched it to Unlimited….Again… one guy got 11runs with many in the 5-7 range. “IF THEY SO DESIRED” to get back in line. This all pertains to Sat.

babycakes
                                            Participant

Billy, EXCELLENT idea!!!! Your one ‘seasoned’ experienced drag racer,since the begining of time, and if any one that has experienced ‘Waiting’ forever,in the staging lanes, just about to pass out from the heat,with your race suit on, along with your helmet, YES!!!! It’s time for a change! Let’s think for once,of the drivers!!!! GOOD THINKIN” BILL!!! Pete.

dino
                                                Keymaster

Regarding ….NEW FOR 2015 . . . . . . . . .
                                                    … will Confirm all and supply details as they get finalized:

NO OPEN TRACK TEST & TUNE on Saturday for Lebanon Valley Regulars- Only Cars entered in Dover Eliminators-NETO ,ECG, Nendra. CONFIRMED

NEW FEATURE will be NOSTALGIA DRAG CAR DISPLAY …with many ‘perks’ for participants …Restored -Original Vintage Racers.CONFIRMED

ALL new Car Show Format is being planned –CONFIRMED

DOVER ORIGINAL CARS in Reserved Pit Area ( near where Fuelers Were this year.)..:”ADJUSTED” we Need the Pit Room and Bobby Schlegel said where he was worked out great…first thing Folks saw entering the track heading for stands…sometimes 2-3 deep around the “Dover Cars”…So they will stay there.

dino
                                                    Keymaster
                                                        quote Babycakes:

Billy, EXCELLENT idea!!!! Your one ‘seasoned’ experienced drag racer,since the begining of time, and if any one that has experienced ‘Waiting’ forever,in the staging lanes, just about to pass out from the heat,with your race suit on, along with your helmet, YES!!!! It’s time for a change! Let’s think for once,of the drivers!!!! GOOD THINKIN” BILL!!! Pete.

Cakes Read previous reply:
                                                        That’s WHAT WE DID previous And folks complained they didn’t get enough Runs SO we switched it to Unlimited….Again… one guy got 11runs with many in the 5-7 range. “IF THEY SO DESIRED” to get back in line. This all pertains to SAt. Wayne confirmed on a regular Test & Tune weekend the wait is about the same. We run Points races on Sat with the a whole lane (2-pairs) taking 45-60 min. to pull. …don’t think he’s going to change his format. 99% percent of the competitors have no problem.

mikey

I’m backing Patina on the “too long in line”subject. I saw what was going on in the lanes, and it was very un-organized. You need someone in each lane to supervise. The line fills up, you put a cone at the end, and a yellow plastic chain across the lane. Then you run off each lane and then refill the lanes.Also, for our show only, put signs at the staging lanes for Dover Cars, NETO Cars, Etc. It’s OUR RACE, we should be on top of any list!! Just for an example of how someone sat too long in the lanes, was John Shimer. He just wanted to make ONE RUN, just one, and he waited almost two hours. He got all the way to the front of the line and they stopped him and made him sit there for almost 45 minutes. Not right!! I know if he was me, there would have been war! I’m not going to drive 1300 and some miles just to sit in the lanes and maybe make one or two passes, that’s B.S. …………………….Mikey :mrgreen: 😥 😈

hvy70ss
                                                            Participant

As far as I’m concerned LVD did a good job Saturday. I ran my class…made three passes and was done. Had lunch…rode around on bike..said hello to alot of people and even took pics. Went back to car entered Test/Tune and made 3 more passes all by 5pm. I honestly didn’t see a problem with the lanes. You have to remember the amount of cars entered that day. A couple of cars breaking slows the whole deal down. You could go to punching run cards with three runs max as they do elsewhere. I’m sure that will not please many though. We all want this Dover thing to do well but look how it’s grown since 2009. It’s something we all have to deal with and Wayne has a great handle on dealing with packed stageing lanes every Sunday.

Bobby Smith

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.