THE WILLYS TOPIC !

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? THE WILLYS TOPIC !

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Just keep finding them…ODF galleries-Good for Willys. Love the ‘reversed’ class isit S/GB or B/GS

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

Guy on the Hamb sent me this
            Video Bob Took pictures that day:
            http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=237

Attachments:

dino
            Keymaster

Maso asked way back when V-Bob posted the photos…”So Who Won”? Well -just got from Ronnie Moreheads ‘stash’ , THE results Story (No Photos-V-Bobs Are Better anyway in color) its in two parts ( Lot Of Familiar Names Here ! ) :

Attachments:

dino
                Keymaster

……………continued:

Attachments:

dino
                    Keymaster

Cakes….Bumped this to show you…All kinds of stuff buried on the forum.

babycakes
                        Participant

Thanks Dino of the ‘Willys’ gassers memories.They had a good run from the late 50’s,to the early 70’s.I was blessed and lucky to be part of it,running in B/Gas from ’62 to 64′.The supercharged Willys gassers back then were like the pro-stocks and funny-cars in today’s era.Then came the Anglia’s and Austins to dominate the gas classes.My partner Bill and I decided to follow suit.Bought an Anglia body,chopped the top (first time),and bingo,Christmas eve got my ‘greetings from Uncle Sam.Back in 60 and 61 my partner Bill had a 34 Ford 3 window coupe with a blown 459 cu.in. Olds running in A/GS.I was a pit crew member.He ran against ‘Ohio’ George’s 33 Willys at the Nationals,and got beat by a car length each time.Ohio George and I to this day have been good friends and still keep in touch.Yeah,he was blamed for ending the ‘Willys’ era,with his switching to a late model body ( factory supplied 67 Mustang fastback),however,one thing,it was on a Willys frame! He told me he never realized afterwards,how bad the 33 Willys handled,till he drove the Mustang that handled as smooth as a Cadillac! To conclude,I’m glad to see a few Willys gassers that are restored and run at nostalgia events that gets the ‘ole’ heart pumped up once again.Not to be partial,I too enjoy watching other classes from the 50’s to 70’s era also!

super-sport-pete

hi pete, do you go to “MR. BILLS?” in south glens falls-rt./9? saw some very serious WIILLYS there last fall. 60,s blown chrysler/hemi,s slicks,there were about six of them.all ready for the first round at SGF dragway right down the street. all DRIVEN in registered, lites,and wipers. i just don,t see cars like that down here. have a good day. PETE.

babycakes
                                Participant

No Pete,I missed the boat on that deal at Mr.Bill’s.Shame on me! I go past there,every so often to visit my ole drag racing partner,and best friend,who lives in Gansvoort (he’s about 2 miles from the ole S.G.F Dragstrip.). At 79,and closing in on 80,he’s into ‘hogs’ and still touring the country with his wife and club members,during the summer.There’s a guy named Roberts,just up the road from me that has a black ‘glass’ Willys P/U ,’hemi’ powered street rod.When I’m sitting on the porch and hear and see it go by the house,a thumbs ‘up’ and a ‘big’ smile goes across my face! Anyway Pete,appreciate you letting me in on,what to watch for in my area,THanks! 😮 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.