TRACK LOCATION RECOGNITION IDEAS

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION TRACK LOCATION RECOGNITION IDEAS

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    patina
    Participant

Cakes;

At present there is no review and approval process for historic markers if placed on private land. However, we urge anyone thinking of erecting an historic marker to first consult with local historians to insure that the text is accurate and the proposed location is correct.

The land owner’s permission is required, of course, before a sign can be erected. If the landowner is an agency of the State of New York, a formal approval process is required. Often the rights of way of state highways extend some distance from the edge of pavement, and one may find that the proposed location is, in fact, on state lands, even though it appears the land is private.

Pies

dino
        Keymaster

PAT …Thanks….good hunting ! AND we DO have permission of the property owner ! V-Bob …You’re right on the case !. I like the Big Rock Idea…as long as we stay away from any future entrance with property developement.

Pies -Cakes 😆 …..I’ll be Muffins 😉

don-kauer

Today Mr. Shimer and myself were on the site…I was amazed to find about 60′ to 75′ of almost perfect blacktop untouched at the finish line right at that horrible dip (where my car would catch some air) where the shutdown begins..I mean the blacktop is good enough to do a burnout and a short hop…At the end of the blacktop the rest of the shutdown is still intact but the blacktop has been lifted and removed…The return road is still there (still paved) and is almost to where you picked up your time ticket (which for me was about two tenths slower then any other track) 🙄 Sorry but I had to get that in…….The rest (other then the teardown barn and the entrance) you would not recognize……The actual track and pits are gone..Lowered at least 12 to 15 feet and totally changed… ❗

babycakes
                Participant

Thanks Pat (aka ‘Pies’) and Dino (Muffins) for the legalities on the Dover “Marker’ at this time.I too,visited the ole Dover track and land with Brian M.,his son Edward,and Brian’s bro-in-law.We reminisced where and what was,as we walked along the length of the property;and if you listened carefully,too,you could hear the ‘ghost-like’ sound of race cars going down the ole 1/4 mile! After that,we headed to the ‘Dover 21st. Reunion’ at Big Als,in Gaylordsville.It was a ‘great’ day! Anyway,Pat,you and Frank enjoy your ‘test and tune at CCDSM Fall Track rental.I hope the rain holds up,and get to ‘fine’ tune Frank’s race car!

dino
                    Keymaster

….ah ,just to clarify…don’t expect an “Event” on the property. The land is totally Not suitable for anything but a jacked up 4-wheel drive …OH and it Floods quite frequently. Now if someone wants to Invest in around $5000. worth of Land Clearing with big time equipment and truck in fill …Ok …Still No elect-water-bathrooms- fire lanes-multiple access roads. ….and we have more ‘neighbors ‘ with back yards right up to it. Marker would be cool.

babycakes
                        Participant

Dino,there’s alot of ODF members like me that agree with you.We may not be able to have a gathering there,but a ‘Marker” would be more ‘GREAT’,none the less! Pictures could be taken of it,and put on line,or even passing the area on your way to the Dover Reunions,to check it out! A piece of a monumental ‘memory’,Dover Dragstrip,a dedicated ‘Marker’.

vbob
                            Participant

HEY

Why not change the topic title to be more accurate to the subject matter!!!
                                OH, heres company that makes historic markers !!!
                                http://www.southwellco.com/ ‘V’

vbob
                                Participant

HEY

How bout NHRA donating $$$ for the marker!!

‘V’

vbob
                                    Participant

HEY

Marker fund marker fund I smell a marker fund!!!
                                        I’m in,who’s in ????
                                        $25, $50, $100 do I see $225 donations ????
                                        ‘V’

dino
                                        Keymaster

“Why not change the topic title to be more accurate to the subject matter!!!”
                                            Right You Are V-Bob ! And thanks for all the research guys…I can get the thing wholesale ! remember …I own a sign Shop.

babycakes
                                            Participant

V Bob and Dino,I’m in too,right behind you guys,let me know the details in donating contributions to a “Dover” Marker….Thanks….Pete.

dino
                                                Keymaster

Gotta read all the posts But it still is NOT out of relmn of possibilty to Do a Historical Marker.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.