Tribute To Tom Iorizzo

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? Tribute To Tom Iorizzo

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    tommy-iorizzo

tommy-iorizzo

tommy-iorizzo

tommy-iorizzo

tommy-iorizzo

bossguy

Was the 65 Impala lettered with a Eastchester area bar (Foley and Obriens?). I recall a nasty sounding Impala running around on the street. I never went to Foley and Obriens, I was loyal to Fore and Aft White Plains.

dino
                            Keymaster

“Another Round of Modified Elim on the line……DMP wagon out of Fred’s Speed Shop . . . up against Tom Iorizzo running in F Gas today with the 327 under the hood “

Attachments:

dino
                                Keymaster

“Looks like Lagana will get the bye run in the A Modified Production “Locomotion II” Camaro”

Attachments:

dino
                                    Keymaster

Notice the position of cars…Toms out FIRST …his rear wheels almost to line …He should have been last to leave under handicap …Gas record faster than Modified Production…HOLESHOT -better reaction time.

paul-ceasrine

Uncle Dino,,,,,,,

I think I have ‘Part I’ figured out.
                                            1965 Chevrolet Impala,,,,,,with a big block weigned in at #3788 lbs.
                                            Now Tom was running in C/Stock in 1969, according to the Drag News…

1969 C/S class had a weight bracket of 8.50 to 8.99 weight-to-horsepower.
                                            The 65′ Impala could be purchased with a 409/400HP, or a ‘special’ 396/425HP engine.
                                            The 409/425HP dual-quad engine was discontinued early in the production year.

So, I’m guessing Tom had a 396/425HP engine in the car in 1969.
                                            With that engine, the car had a weight/horsepower factor of 8.91 (C/Stock)
                                            I don’t think it was a 409 in the car.
                                            If he was running against Joe Beltempo in the 63′ A/SA Plymouth Max-Wedge car in 1969, then that 396/425HP engine combination fits.

Now if my memory serves me correctly, I think that car (or one like it) campaigned in D/S in 1970 and/or 1971.
                                            Because I remember the Chevy running 12.20’s, against that real nice ‘Midnight Black’ 1966 Ford Galaxie with the 427/425HP Wedge, which usually ran around 12.50’s.

Paulie,,,,,,,I’m still working on i

tommy-iorizzo

I found this picture on here a while ago.

paul-ceasrine

Uncle Dino,

OK,,,,,
                                                    June 1, 1969
                                                    In the Dover Chronciles,,,(Raider Collects Win)
                                                    Joe Beltempo in the A/SA Mopar defeated Tom Iorizzo in a C/S Chevrolet.

Using 1969 as a base point.
                                                    For the 65′ Impala to fit into (C/Stock) 8.50 – 8.99 weight/horspower factor.
                                                    The 65′ Impala with a 396/425HP (NHRA re-factored horsepower) had a weight/horsepower factor of 8.91.
                                                    Car weight of 3788 lbs.~425 = 8.91wt/hp.

Now in 1970 or 1971, that same car with that engine combination would be classed in D/S.
                                                    100% sure that car ran in D/Stock in 1970, for at least some period of the season.

Now, if Tom wanted to run in Super/Stock with that car in 1969,,,,,he would have been classed in SS/G.
                                                    Guess who was also running in that class in 1969,,,,,,Harvey Wilson in the ‘Hairy Too’ Cobra-Jet Mustang and
                                                    Rye Ford with their Cobra-Jet Mustang.
                                                    Now, no way would that Big-Block Chevrolet out do the 68′ Cobra-Jets at that time, so it is logical that Tom went from
                                                    H/Stock or F/G or E/MP in late-1968 with the 327 small-block, into C/S in 1969 with the 396/425HP big-block.

WHEW,,,,,,,,,,,almost done… 😉

paul-ceasrine

More to Mr. Tom Iorizzo,

C/Stock is definitely confirmed for 1969.
                                                        On May 25, 1969, Tom won C/S with a 12.26 @ 90.00 MPH (on the brakes through the traps).

The next week, June 1, 1969, he won class and made it to the Stock Eliminator Finals, losing to
                                                        Joe Beltempo.

As we continue to go crazy, Tom was running in F/G in 1968, with a 327 in the 65′ car.
                                                        May 19, 1968, he won F/G class with a 13.21 @ 107.00 MPH

And then on July 14, 1968, Tom switched over to Modified Production, and ran in E/MP with the car, and won class
                                                        with a 13.05 @ 109.00 MPH.

When Tom was running the 65′ Impala with the 327 engine in 1968, he utilized a Mopar Max-Wedge hood scoop,
                                                        obviously permitted in Street Eliminator… 🙂

The 65′ Impala with the 327 engine weighed in at #3613 lbs, or 11.04 wt/cubic inch.
                                                        For F/G or E/MP class, the weight to cubic inch factor was 11.00 to 11.99, if I remember correctly.

Just how many car combinations did they run,,,,,,,,,,, 😯
                                                        Paulie

paul-ceasrine

Just when you think it ends,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 🙄

July 6, 1969

Tom Iorizzo is running in SS/J.
                                                            Not sure what car,,,,,,but whatever it is, it wins class with a 12.06 @ 115.00 MPH

And follows that up the following week July 13, 1969, with another class win
                                                            with a 12.27 @ 109.00 MPH.

Is it possible that he had the 68′ Z-28 Camaro back then, which would have been classed in SS/J for 1969,
                                                            or was he running the 65′ Impala with a different engine combination…….. 😕

Almost done,,,,,,Dino,,, 😉

paul-ceasrine

Now to confuse everyone,,,,,

July 13, 1968

Tom Iorizzo wins F/G with his 65′ Impala (327 engine and hood scoop) with a 13.05 @ 109.00 MPH.

The same day, one Paul or Frank Iorizzo (brother or cousin), ❓
                                                                Wins the H/S class with another 65′ Impala (the H/S car in the previous posted photo)
                                                                Car runs a 13.17 @ 100.00 MPH (on the brakes through the traps).

Now, for that car to be classed in H/Stock in 1968 (11.50 – 11.99 weight/horsepower factor),
                                                                the engine would have to be a 327/300HP combination.
                                                                3570 lbs.~ 300HP = 11.90 wt/hp. = H/S (for 1968)

What the F***,,,,,,,, 😕

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.