Wev’e Lost Clem LaChance

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Wev’e Lost Clem LaChance

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

by BOBBY S. » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:27 am

BAD NEWS again… sorry, we lost Clem LaChance THE MAD FRENCHMAN, my friends at Extreme Design got the call from Jeff Rouel, Clem was in Canada, Jeff mentioned Clem will be buried at the cemetery in Carmel, NY. Will pass any info on it as I get it. If any other ODF’s hear any info post it please.

One of Dovers more colorfull characters…”The Mad Frenchmen” passed away today in Canada. He frequented his home country ,having freinds and relationships there. I first met Clem when he was running his bright blue ’48 Studebaker 6 cyl. Gas Coupe. “The Mad Frenchman” was lettered on the door, and Clem & I would have fun with me doing the french accent when he pulled up to stage. A true innovator and craftsman, building his own trick set-ups when speed equip. wasn’t available for his 6 cylindar creations. Never stopped running….right up til last year with his Maverick ….now black but we all remember the ‘Ford Grabber’ blue original version at Dover. A happy guy that enjoyed his racing…..We Miss you already My freind.

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

Here he is puttin em airbourne at our 4th Annual Nostalgia Drags….Believe he was 84.

Attachments:

hvy70ss
            Participant

Sad to hear that…always pleasant to talk with @ the track.Ran with him in NETO a few years back. At one Dover race, he gave me the whole Maverick history back to the blue car. Great Dover memories…him and Pat Heneberry going at it with those high windin’ 6 cylinders!! RIP Clem.

Bobby Smith

babycakes
                Participant

WOW! Another real ‘shocker’! Boy,a ‘true’ sportsman’ to say the least!!! I can’t remember,it’s either 3 or 4 times he won his class at the N.H.R.A Nationals (?) He used to display his ‘Walleys’ at the Dover Reunions,at Marcus Dairy.A true ‘gentleman’,’super-sharp’ making a 300 Ford 6 cyl. run in the 10’s with a full body Maverick! I keep shaking my head at how many Dover ‘legends’ we’ve lost in the past few years; it’s very hard to accept.My condolences go out to his family,and may Clem R.I.P.

dino
                    Keymaster

Same car run from ’65-’70

Attachments:

dino
                        Keymaster

Heres the Maverick in Blue…Clem ran webers on his own trick intake. Car last run at 10.5-6

Attachments:

mikey

He was a great guy, and a super racer. He is already missed. R.I.P., Clem. ……..Mikey 😥

dino
                                Keymaster

Heres a Classic….Two Sixes battle it out for the Money in Street Elim. After beating All the V-8 Gassers and Modified production ‘Big Boys” ….Pat Hennebury And Clem ….Clem kinda ‘shining’ there huh?

Attachments:

masracingtd1167
                                    Participant

Very sad new’s One of the nicest people I ever met !

dino
                                        Keymaster

Just heard from Fred Rice …former Partner with Clem with the Maverick…Just shocked at the News….was last with Clem when he was inducted into DragTimes Hall of Fame in Hendersonville,N.C. … and then they all went Racing at Roxboro Dragway. Clem cranking out 125 mph 1/8 mile blasts.

bobby-s
                                                quote dinotheweirdo:

Just heard from Fred Rice …former Partner with Clem with the Maverick…Just shocked at the News….was just with Clem when he was inducted into DragTimes Hall of Fame in Hendersonville,N.C. this November… and then they all went Racing at Roxboro Dragway. Clem cranking out 125 mph 1/8 mile blasts.

Henderson NC was 2011 last year, looking at the T shirt. Rich Head was part of the awesome event for Clem.
                                                …………Bobby …just quoting Fred…maybe I got It wrong….[edit-dino]

wizeguy1320

Such a shame,….. I remember I was a little kid, maybe 10-11 years old,….and Clem winning an event at Lebanon,….By himself as he usually was, nobody there to cheer and congratulate him….me and my uncle Al Drove over to him loading the Maverick on his trailer and we gave him a big BIG round of applause,….one of those track moments i will never forget ! RIP Clem,…

Attachments:

smokncobrajet

Clem,always the unassuming gentleman,always gracious.We were shocked when we got the call.
                                                        Rudy & June

patina
                                                        Participant

Au revoir, mon ami Qu’il repose en paix Clem. I remember Clem’s Studebaker at Dover in the early years and spoke with him in the staging lanes at the Nostalgia drags. Always a gentleman and good competitor.

Pat

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Some responses on Dover Facebook page:

Me, my “Acapulco Gold” Camaro, & Clem spent many Sundays together @ Dover, Will miss ya brother !
                                                                Jonathan Gagnon -So sorry to hear that. RIP Clem.
                                                                Neil Zimbaldi – wow,…im in shock RIP CLEM !
                                                                Bill Krug -That is sad to hear, He was a great guy and a very good racer.
                                                                Karen Mastrianni-Gay -RIP Clem..you will.be missed
                                                                Gary Smrtic -Sorry to hear that. Great picture! None of us get out of here alive. Godspeed, Clem…
                                                                Chris Kraft- He was the best. sooo funny.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.