WOODSTOCK ’69 …Did Dover Run Same Day?-SOLVED

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION WOODSTOCK ’69 …Did Dover Run Same Day?-SOLVED

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    vbob
    Participant

HEY
        While still on the Woodstock subject,
        really strange how all this comes about.
        Just today I receive in the mail my monthly VFW magazine and there on the cover ,well, some were in Woodstock , some in Wingdale and some were in Vietnam all on that same day !!!
        May they all rest in Gods peace!!
        ‘V’

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

. . . . . . . . . .thanks bob……needed that.

dino
            Keymaster

Found this great Story about the Late Chuck Finders about the Fuel Coupe Show We had that day …In the previous posts, his car was newly painted yellow and not yet lettered as “Fire-Brewed”.:
                …….
                But the gasser era was soon to be put on the trailer as the newly burgeoning Funny Car was about to be unleashed. Needless to say, Chucks career after supercharged coupes had it’s ups and downs.

In 1969, fully entrenched in Cleveland Ohio, building chassis after chassis, he teamed up with another Cleveland based gasser team, the Hill Brothers from Strongsville (Oh.) and together they decided to have one more “go” at bringing the fans those wild and crazy coupes – but with a twist. A foursome was developed to become a 4 car Nitro Gasser show to tour the country one last time.
                Finders had a blown, nitro belching, chopped Anglia called “Fire Brewed” , Tom Prock from Detroit, who would later shoe the highly successful Custom Body Dodge F/Car and who’s son Jim, is now the crew chief for John Forces/Robert Hight F/C team, fielded a ’33 Willy’s called the Prock & Howell “F-Troop”; Jim “Fireball” Shores from the famed Shores & Hess gasser, was in another fuel Anglia, while the Hill Brothers had the 4th Willys ‘Nitro coupe.
                The 4 car show booked themselves under the “Outlaw Gasser” name during the summer of 1969. Needless to say, “the cars were a bit squirrelly,” says Finders, “when we cleared the top end, that is to say, after crossing the lanes a couple of times, back pedaling and basically steering clear of each other and the wall, we usually ran in the mid to upper 8’s …. on fuel ! I can just imagine with today’s high tech chassis components under us, we’d be clockin’ around the sixes. I remember Pete Hill saying when he made the switch to Funny Cars after that year and moved to New England, it was like a walk in the park compared with that fuel Willys car.”

…………..Weird Note: The Custom Body Funny Car driven by Prock is NOW “Little MissBehavin”… see it run with Girl Driver At the 4thh Dover Nostalgia Drags,.

dino
                Keymaster

Happy Anniversary Hippies ! 44 years ago TODAY ….They were getting drenched and we were smelling the Nitro with the sun out.

masracingtd1167
                    Participant

Far out man!!

frank-j-majauskas
                        Participant

I was up there at Fort Drum that weekend, not far from Woodstock. Some of us were thinking about going, but we knew we wouldn’t make it back for first formation Monday morning. So we didn’t go….. :lol:…So close,yet so far away ❗ 😆

Frank… 😎

vbob
                            Participant

HEY
                                Heres what I was doing a little farther away from New York !
                                I dont remember too much !!
                                ‘V’

Attachments:

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.