AWB 65 Coronet

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING AWB 65 Coronet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    34gasser-65awb

Aside from the Dover Willys that Pops runs, I’m working on this Dodge. Started with a 4door; I’m patching it up into a 2door with doorjambs and doors and stuffing the rear up about 20inches. Frontend will hopefully get a tube axle and be about 12inches ahead of stock. I’d like to see it as close as possible to Greer’s “Tension” Coronet.

Attachments:

34gasser-65awb

Latest pics:

Attachments:

hvy70ss
            Participant

NICE!! This could be the start of a new trend in Nostalgia classes. If enough interest is generated, maybe orgs. like NMCA could add it to their schedule?
                I run Nostalgia Muscle Car, they have Nostalgia Super Stock. I can see it now…A/FX next year as a exhibition class!! BUT…..we need to get some Bowtie cars out there too. Early Novas and Chevelles would be awesome. What do you all think…could it work??

Bob Smith

34gasser-65awb

Thanx funnycar! And Bob, anything *could* work. I definetly agree, gotta get some other makes included for cannon fodder <GRIN> Sure would be nice to see something like that happen. Seriously though, there was plenty of Novas and 64-65 Chevelles that CRANKED and kept up with the Hemis real good. In them days, anybody coulda won at any time. There is an organization starting to get off the ground now up here in the northeast:

http://afxer.com/documents/73.html

This could turn out to be a really good thing. If I get this Dodge doing before I’m too damn old to run it, I will get out with these guys. There is a few other guys currently building altered 65-67 Barracudas; won’t be long before there is a good 20-30 running AWB cars in the eastern half.

bobby-s

That would look great Dad with a Blown 33 Willys 😀 and son with a killer AWB mopar 😛 , will fit right in with the theme of NETO,
                        have fun and ‘RUN WHAT YA BRUNG (can afford)”

34gasser-65awb

Had some fun today! Hung the 2door parts on it and got the tail almost exactly where it needs to be. Just a little bit more trimming……

Attachments:

howie

Great project. I had to sell my first afx (not completed) but am now going to start on another one a keeper this time. Keep up the good work and show pics.

vbob
                                Participant

Hey Vince, Soon you’ll be having Dino do some magic of his on your AWFC.
                                    Maybe a DOVER DRAG STRIP #2 car ???

Kep up the work before the snow flys!!

‘V’ Bob

34gasser-65awb

It’s getting there Bob! I started welding the tail back in today, and started the 2-door conversion. Might have it off the jackstands before the snow flys!

34gasser-65awb

Got more work done yesterday. It’s 1 piece again, with the 2door quarter section in on 1 side. Does that make it a 3-door?

Attachments:

34gasser-65awb

In 1 of the pics above, the radiused wheelwell looks off in relation to the tire. It is. The axle is going to go ahead another 2 inches when I get the apropriate S/S springs and (Plymouth) spring hangers in the car.

22-inches relocation in total. This Dodge will rival “Plain Busted” for having the slicks closest to the doors! Speaking of doors, these line up pretty good considering that it lost 2doors in the process of losing 20inches of length from the tail!

Attachments:

dino
                                                Keymaster

Arn’t your rear side windows too wide? they started out as a Door windows ???

34gasser-65awb

Yep Dino, the 4door b-pillars are still in place. They are helping to hold everything square, along with the additional square-tube braces I put inside the body. When all the surgery is complete, the 4door b-pillars will come out and then the door posts will get welded into the proper 2door position.

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Gotcha!

34gasser-65awb

Got the passenger side about 95% patched up on Friday. The wheelwell is still ugly. Will clean it up when I have the slicks/wheels and axle position finalized (about 2inches farther forward with a 30inch slick).

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.