AWB 65 Coronet

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING AWB 65 Coronet

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

Hi,

Nice job.You must buy the blades by the case. Thats alot of cutting, wow.

Good luck
        Andy

34gasser-65awb

Hey Andy! Thanx! Ahh, it was plenty of cutting. That’s the fun part. Went thru my fair share of blades and cutoff wheels, a few busted-open knuckles, and a whole crapload of MIG welder wire!

A little bit of oxy-acetylene, too 😈

It’s getting to be fun again now that 1 side actually looks like something. After I had all the cutting done and stood there staring at all the pieces to get figured out, it felt like I’d never get it back together.

Andy, you recall how much tube work was up front in “Plain Busted”? Was it just the tube axle or some framework too? I see that the inner fender panels and radiator support panel were long gone.

dino
            Keymaster

Lot of work…was it this hard “back” then? ..remember Lettering Doc’s Arrow in his basement Garage just after he Hacked it open to move wheels…looked like Freddie just took a sawsall and went at it…rough to say the least …I remember saying …”how could you cut up a nice car like that ?” what did I know .

anonymous

Hi,

It was all tube from the firewall. The old wheelbase was to short and I think about 12″ or so was added with the tube front end. It really helped the car. Here are some photos that might help.

Andy Panessa

Attachments:

dino
                    Keymaster

DOVER CSI Field operative ANDY , code name “Plain Busted” has successfully Broken the code (Smart!) on how to copy-paste from Gagunda ODF Photo Gallery files …do it all the time …anyone can do it (ask for Help)

howie

Did you shorten the wheelbase? The trunk looks shorter. You have alot of work ahead of you my friend and will it be a straight axle or k frame with torsion bars? Good luck Howie

34gasser-65awb

Thanx Andy! Those pics do give a better idea of how much tubework was up front. I can only imagine what a handful it was with the stock nose. Howie, I took 20inches out of the trunk and wheelbase. Fronts will go up hopefully about 12inches with a tube axle, radius rods, and old coilovers.

Dino, it’s been LOTS more measuring than anything else so far, but cutting is a close second. This looks like so much more work than the Black Arrow because of my 2door conversion surgery. If I started with a 2door, I’d have all the surgery done by now!

34gasser-65awb

Has been a while since the last update here, actually got a bit done. The rear portion of the AWB surgery and 2door conversion surgery are darn close to done. Just need to finish grinding some of the welds and get a hammer and dolly to a few spots. Dropped it off the stands finally and moved it so I have room to get started on the nose. Getting downright COLD around here now, so the nose might wait untill next year.

Attachments:

34gasser-65awb

A few more pics of the project, and just for fun; a pic of the headers that wound up on quite a few AWBs.

Attachments:

34gasser-65awb

Here’s a long overdue update on my Dodge project. Since the last posts, I have completed the 2-door sedan conversion, fixed up a relocated front fender, and finished off the decklid.

Oh, and uh……
                                            ……….. I scored a piece of funnycar history also! Long story made short here, but anyway:

Reed Koeppe (Currently 1 of the biggest names in Chrysler factory racecars and Hemi cars in general) is a good friend of mine. Reed and I were recently discussing what I had planned to do next with my Dodge (2X3 framerails, cage, front suspension/steering) when he mentioned the ’64 Melrose Missile Plymouth that he had found a while back.

Reed then asked if I remember the Don Long funnycar chassis that was under the Melrose Missile during it’s later incarnation as “Sensation” and was still there when Reed found the car. So of course I said yes, and Reed then informed me that he has considered selling the chassis and asked if I wanted first crack at it. So I said “let me thing about that for a sec… screw it, YES! I’ll take it!”

So the chassis is mine, and will soon be going under my Dodge. Many thanx are due to my Dad (Paul J Bayarinas) for helping out with some $$$$$$$$ for the purchase. For now, pics of my Dodge as it sits (and the chassis as it sits in Nebraska) will have to do. I’ll update with more pictures when the chassis is delivered to me.

Attachments:

34gasser-65awb

more Dodge

Attachments:

34gasser-65awb

Look here for pictures of the chassis I scored and the car that it was under:

http://primerking.com/Sensation%20chassis.htm

Attachments:

dino
                                                    Keymaster

“Here’s a long overdue update on my Dodge project.”
                                                        …………LIKE TWO YEARS ! Ya got One Year to get it done for the 3rd Annual Nostalgia Drags …so get going! 😆

tomatohead
                                                        Participant

……… Your car is “way cool” ❗ and you WILL enjoy it when it’s done ❗ Way Cool ❗ …………… I am just wondering , …. will it be 440 or hemi , or ❓

34gasser-65awb

Dino, there will be reunions of Dover Dragstrip reunions before I get this thing done.

Tomato, it’s been fun thus far. I enjoyed meeting and spending some time with you at the Island “Dover Drags”. Any updates on that Galaxie 9-inch in your Fairlane?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.