Brainbeau Olds 442..& other Famous Oldsmobiles

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? Brainbeau Olds 442..& other Famous Oldsmobiles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

. . . .found on the web …(This Car Ran At Dover Three Ways …As Brainbeau, By Doc Burgess ,then Tom Valentine).
        “In 1965, Ray Kaligian of Brainbeau Olds in Braintree approached Andresen and Woodland on a deal to race a factory-backed Olds 442.
        Oldsmobile entered the muscle car wars in order to entice buyers into their showrooms. Sales were not going well because Olds still had a stogy image. Ray was convinced that the only way to turn this around was to “Win on Sunday and Sell on Monday.”
        Olds snapped up the team and they became major players in the muscle car wars. It only took them two seasons before the 442 became a big threat in the drag racing action between the factories. At the time, the Pontiac GTO was the king of the drag strips.
        “I had a real problem coping when I didn’t win. I’m what’s commonly called a ‘poor loser.’ But Bob (Andresen) coached me on how to conduct myself,” revealed Loyed. “For that, I’ll always be grateful.”
        The 1966 drag racing season was a pivotal year for the upstart Brainbeau Olds team.
        They dethroned the hot and popular Pontiac GTO as the Woodland/Andresen duo established four national records in NHRA-sanctioned events.
        Their expertise in developing a suspension system, combined with the four-speed transmission, became the most potent winning combination, which was legend in the NHRA drag racing meets.
        In 1967, financial problems closed down the Brainbeau Old dealership. With the team poised for success, team manager Kaligian moved the entire operation into the Berejik Olds dealership in Needham.”

patina
        Participant

The car is still around and a regular at the Div. 1 event at Lebenon Valley. One of my favorites in fact I have a 67 F-85 I was thinking of making a Nostalgia Stocker out of just like Brainbeau’s car.

Pat

storm-king

If I’m not mistaken, that car became the “Black Arrow 2”

dino
                Keymaster

“…….the original ‘black arrow’ 442 Olds that my dad bought from Doc Burgess from Wingdale.” Tom Valentine JR. said That in the ‘Pied Piper’ Topic .I found it by just putting ‘442’ in search

lee-valentine

The 442 Brainbeau Olds that is being run in division 1 is a clone owned by Sam Murry of Lakeville,Ma. The original that was owned by Doc Burgess and my Dad is now in Florida and is owned by Brian Martin. Lee Valentine

dino
                        Keymaster

The Valentine’s Confirm…just Thought ….They Got their Own Holiday Coming up 😎 Now, I know someplace , theres a shot of it in the pits at Dover, as the ‘Black Arrow 2’ ..haven’t found it …know its here someplace.

dino
                            Keymaster

As usual …looking for something else and up pops this

Attachments:

paul-ceasrine

POPE DINO,,,
                                    Bless you my son, as you continue to impress the Dover Gods with your little stash of photo’s.
                                    Looks like a 68′ photo. The 4-4-2 is the 67′ Brainbeau 400/360HP 4-barrel car.
                                    Car ran B/S in 67′,,then into D/S in 68′ (after NHRA properly set up the weight-factor ratings
                                    to make things fair :D, for the 68′ season)..A later photo of that car, has it lettered with
                                    “Jocko’s Speed Shop” on the front fender..
                                    A little interesting note. The Olds 442’s weighed about #3600lbs, and the GTO’s #3445lbs.
                                    But the 442’s had better rear-wheel weight distribution..
                                    PC

lee-valentine

The 442 in the picture on the site is not the Brainbeau car. Doc. actually had two 442’s both painted the same. Lee.

dino
                                        Keymaster

REALLY? The Doc liked Clone Duplicates I Guess ❓

jmb442

Found this on the web…!

Attachments:

dino
                                                Keymaster

Hey jmb442…This is Your specialty Right ! …Now about TWO Doc olds ? ? ? ….Reminds me… remember Dr.Oldsmoble?

jmb442

..well sure,the good Doc’ and me go way back. As for two Black Arrow 442’s…I just learned my new thing for the day!

Attachments:

paul-ceasrine

The Doctor had a Knock-Off also…???
                                                            Did Bill (Storm King II) prep that one also 😆
                                                            No way, it wasn’t a Mopar, unless he stuck a 426/365HP Street-wedge in it. 😀
                                                            I’m guessing the real 67′ 4-4-2 drag car had ‘Jocko’s Speed Shop’ lettered on the front.
                                                            On the 66′ tri-carbed car, Brainbeau trashed the C/S record at Indy in 66′,,,12.38 @113.50..
                                                            Bye-Bye GTO.
                                                            Happy ‘Holiday Oldsmobile’,,,located where??
                                                            PC

paul-ceasrine

JMB442,
                                                                On that 68′ Olds W-31 advertisement…
                                                                Are you just trying to rub it on, because of the 68′ Springnationals… 😆 😆
                                                                Those 68 Cutlass-S cars always liked Englishtown 😛
                                                                PC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.