DOVER’S LAST DAY: May 23,1976….the story unfolds

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION DOVER’S LAST DAY: May 23,1976….the story unfolds

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

I wasn’t there , on the Last Day …who was ? Got some questions. Did they announce that they would close like next week OR on a specific date ? Did people who didn’t hear about it ,show up the following week to a locked gate.? Any ads that stated “Last Day” AND -Does anybody have a clue to who made ‘The Last Run” .

furyus63
        Participant

Dover’s last day…

I remember my 4 year old son and I were sitting in the bleachers across from the timing tower watching time trials and I could not wait to introduce him to his first hamburger with raw onion from the snack bar. I believe an announcement was made before intermission that this may be the last day of racing at Dover.

When time trials were over the announcement came. Dover will close now and we will not be coming back after intermission, no more racing. I believe the announcement may have also mentioned something about no insurance for the remainder of the day forced the cancellation of racing.

A sad day, but somehow the memory is alive and that’s why we’re here.

Nick Tiberio
            FuryUs63

dino
            Keymaster

Wow….Wonder what, then Track Manager Chris Swift ,could add. THAT means the guy that made the last time trail was ‘the last run’. That guy needs a plaque or trophy !.

dino
                Keymaster

NICK SENT THIS TOO :76 “payout List”…not much here compared to other tracks at the time . Might have a lot to do with it ya think?

Attachments:

hvy70ss
                    Participant

Not sure if this happened on it’s last day but I remember leaving early with my friend and his Ford Capri for some sad reason(???). We headed down to Englishtown to race because back then they ran late into Sunday nights!! Could that have been the last day?? Either way it changed alot of peoples lives back then. I for one would love to see a track in that area again..even 1/8 mile.

Bob

lee-valentine

Dino, I was there the last day with Bill Davitt driving the black camaro we built at the Automobile Shop, and half way through the day they anounced that was it Dover was no more. Lee Valentine.

dino
                            Keymaster

OK ….Anybody Know the exact Date ?

lee-valentine

Dino, I think it was the third sunday in May.

dover1320

Hey, Brian here my friend John Gunn won the last ss/ class that day and I have a pit pass from the last day it was May 23 1976. It was a few days after the 15th year of being open . Skip was there see what he remembers. Brian M

billy-casey

hi everybody… SUPER PUMPKIN here.. I was the last modified winner and I think it was the end of may [about]. at the end of lunch hour we use to have a drivers meeting and it was at that time Charlie sadly anounced that this is the last race . there was dead silence for quite some time . a very sad day for many . this was a very big part of our lives . we then drew who we had to race 😥 😥 😥

masracingtd1167
                                            Participant

I was there the last day .Like some one said they made an announcment that it was the last day they would be open.I beat Billy Griffin in the final in comp eliminator.That announcment took all the fun out of winning.

dino
                                                Keymaster

Ok …the story is coming together ….What was the LAST Elim. Final to run? THAT, would Then be, ‘The last RUN at Dover ” ….right ?

billy-casey

the track had a thing they called “King of the hill” ..the winners of the stock/ super stock elim. ranthe winner of modified elim. – i lost to Ralph Fiolas corvette. that may have been the last pass down the track . im almost positive that I got the last two prize checks from Joe himself . not a very happy day for anyone … Billy

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Billy….I’m going with that as a historical note Unless someone disputes it .Now…what kind of car and class for you both.

billy-casey

im not sure of Ralphs class . he changed class alot . one 4 barrel/2 4 barrells or fuel injection..my car was a C / Super modified 69 camaro with the name Super Pumpkin on it . Ralphs car was a white and brown 57 corvette , a great lookin car . be worth a small fortune today…Billy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.