Gramatan Dodge-1965

Forums Forums HISTORICAL DOVER PHOTO GALLERY Gramatan Dodge-1965

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Dino
        Here’s a photo of “the 2nd” ’63 max-wedge car from Gramatan Dodge, owned by the Rickman Brothers, driven by Jay Broderick, with prep and engine by me, Larry Nutson.
        This is the paint scheme as campaigned in the 1965 season. In the previous 1964 season the car was all white and campaigned with the Art Dury name on the door.
        That’s Jay next to the car and Rick and Ron Rickman and me in the background on the truck. I can’t identify the other person.
        Mark Jacobs provided me this photo.
        Larry

Attachments:

gramdog1
        Participant

Hey, Larry. This looks like an early season picture. We later ran a set of much taller front tires, presumably for more rollout. Don’t know the mystery man in the background, good pic of Jay and the car. I am looking for a pic that shows the Ramcharger stripes on the roof. No matter how many times they were sanded they still showed.
            Ron (grmdog1).

storm-king

Bill and I remember that weekend when the front end was pigeon toed like that. Jay really struggled to keep it on the track.

larry-n
                Participant

Yes, the photo is early in the 1965 season. Later, when Chrysler sent us the ’65 hemi super stock rear springs we redid the entire suspension. New ss rear springs, reversed front mount for left side spring, long rear shackles, very tall pinion snubber. We also had extended front ball joints that Art Dury machined, so when the car was static it sat with a lot of camber. When launched the wheels straightend and the car sat level running down the track. We did go to tall front tires on 15inch taxi cab rims and 90/10 front shocks and changed the torsion bars to 6-cylinder car units. All the stuff to make it launch consistently!
                    We all also helped Skeet Russel put the same setup in his ’62 Plymouth.
                    Larry

dino
                    Keymaster

I just recieved information that “A Clone “of this car is under construction…Have to track down the builder…He’s a friend of Skeet Russel! have his phone number to get all the poop…so stand by. dino

gramdog1
                        Participant

Dynomite! Where is Skeet these days? Does he still have the tire shop? The only time I ever drove the car was when he did an alignment on it. Only drove it about 200 yards. 😥

maso
                            Participant

Good question, where is Dean “Skeets” Russell…?

Here’s a detail of Mark Jacob’s photo ID’ing the guys in the backgroung by me. I knew all of them at the time.

dino
                                Keymaster

Skeets IS Found ! ….give me a little time and you’re going to see a “feature” in “Where are They Now” Heading …See the car at Reunion Photos (Lane Motors)

dino
                                    Keymaster

Just Talked To Charlie Licata …still in Yonkers ! and “Crew Chief’ for Skeets “Lane Motors ‘ C/SA Plymouth. Only 3 like it ran successfully. Seems NHRA kinda “factored it out”. He’s in the process of building Clone Of the Famous Gramatan Dodge 440 “post’ car. It Ran AA/SA in ’65…. same car with Art Drury on it. Charlie worked a lot with Charlie Castaldo Too.The Clone should be out of the body shop this spring. He’s gonna get on here , maybe tonight !

maso
                                        Participant
                                            quote dinotheweirdo:

Skeets IS Found ! ….give me a little time and you’re going to see a “feature” in “Where are They Now” Heading …See the car at Reunion Photos (Lane Motors)
                                            dino
                                            Keymaster

Here ’tis:
                                                Gramatan Dodge Team: 1963-1967
                                                1963 – Bobby Gallagher- driver/owner
                                                Crew: Richie Klatt, Larry Nutson, Rick Rickman
                                                a ’63 Max-wedge Stage I engine; all-steel body; ran in S/SA
                                                car sold at end of 1963; Gallagher moves to Florida, Richie Klatt joins Prokop and Massaro “Mixed Emotions” ’55 Chevy D/Gas team.
                                                Memo: Prior to 1963, Bobby Gallagher ran a ’62 Corvette in A/SP and before that a ’58 Pontiac in F/SA.

1964 – Jay Broderick -driver
                                                owner: Jay Broderick and Rickman Brothers.
                                                Crew: Larry Nutson, Rick Rickman, Ron Rickman
                                                a ’63 Max-wedge Stage II; aluminum front end body; ran in S/SA
                                                this car was a Dodge PR Auto Show car painted to look like a Ramchargers Team car.
                                                re-painted all white with “Art Dury” lettering

1965 – same ’63 car repainted in red & white color scheme; Gramatan Dodge on rear quarter panel; Dodge logo on door
                                                same team; engine at Stage III; ran in AA/SA
                                                in this season we tied with Tasca Ford Thunderbolt S/S for NHRA NE Region Stock Eliminator points championship.

1966 – new ’66 Street Hemi; red and white colors; DODGE on side panel; ran in A/SA
                                                same team sans Ron Rickman

1967 – same car converted to a ’67 adding a hood scoop;
                                                Larry Nutson departs; Charlie Licata and Walter Hall join team
                                                runs in SS/CA and match races

Jay stopped driving after 1967 and Charlie and Rick joined Charlie Castaldo to crew his ’68 Dart Hemi.

Let me know if any questions,
                                                Larry

dino
                                                Keymaster

Dino
                                                    Ron Rickman just came up with a few photos and I’m passing on 2 for the DDS website.
                                                    I don’t believe you have any photos of Gramatan Dodge No.1, the 1963 max-wedge owned and driven by Bobby Gallagher in the 1963 season.
                                                    Here’s a photo of the car in the staging lanes and also one of the car and our team in our “living quarters” tent at the 1963 Indy Nationals. In this photo is: Bobby Gallagher, Richie Klatt, Rick Rickman and yours truly, Larry Nutson. Bobby sold this car at the end of 1963, and a new team with a new car was formed with Jay Broderick and Ron Rickman joining with Rick and me.
                                                    Thanks and regards,
                                                    Larry Nutson

Attachments:

maso
                                                    Participant

“Let’s Went…!”

gramdog1
                                                        Participant

To clarify Maso’s post, “LETS WENT” was on the deck lid of the ’64-’65 Gramatan Dodge car.
                                                            Anyone know the origin of the expression?
                                                            A prize for the first correct entry- autographed picture of Maso. 😀

maso
                                                            Participant
                                                                quote Gramdog1:

To clarify Maso’s post, “LETS WENT” was on the deck lid of the ’64-’65 Gramatan Dodge car.
                                                                Anyone know the origin of the expression?
                                                                A prize for the first correct entry- autographed picture of Maso. 😀

Well…

After this much time it is apperant that nobody’s got it. I am not suprised really.

“Let’s Went…!” … was a signature line of “Pancho”, the Cisco Kid’s trusty side kick on the old TV program, The Cisco Kid…! Bobby Gallaghar liked that and he put it on the deck lid of his Dodge and Ronnie and I rememberd it. We had a lot of fun on the Gallaghar team. Bobby took me along to Dover, Westhampton and to East Haddam.

Typical “Pancho” quote: “Cisco…‘Let’s went, before we are dancing at the end of a rope, without music.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.