Great Turn out Today @ Island

Forums Forums NOSTALGIA DRAGS 1st.DOVER DRAG STRIP NOSTALGIA DRAGS- 2009 Great Turn out Today @ Island

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    tomatohead
    Participant

It was so nice to go to a Dover Race Again ❗ THANKS ❗ To Everybody ❗

Attachments:

tomatohead
        Participant

Do you know once your are friends with a “Dover Guy” ………. your always Friends ❗ I got there at 1 pm and when I pulled in looking for a spot JOHN YANNONE JR had saved me a spot and waved me in ❗ ❗ ❗ THANKS John ❗ remember John s father raced at Dover too and he put a windshield in my car for me for the race and in Ron Moreheads Volvo too ❗ ❗ ❗ Thanks John ❗

Attachments:

tomatohead
            Participant

What can I say ❗ 😀

Attachments:

tomatohead
                Participant

How Big is your ENGINE ❗ Toms engine was bigger then its looks and after all was said and done went to the final run ❗ ❗ I was there , and I saw it ❗ ………………………..

Attachments:

tomatohead
                    Participant

Well I hope and already Know Everybody had a Nice time 😀 You Know the Good Times are Forever ….and the Bad Times Fadeaway ❗ ……………………… There was no way I was not going to show up …. just wish is was a little sooner. I was able to talk to everybody I was hopeing to and I KNOW I missed some of you but can see from the posts that you had a NICE time ❗ ………….. this is a pic of me in the stands …… I promise I wont be standing here next time …………

Attachments:

tomatohead
                        Participant

SMOKIN COBRA JET FORD WINS 4 SPD DOVER class ❗ ❗ ……… I think there was 27 cars in the Dover 4 spd class , 28 if I would have got there in time 😆 anyway it was FORD all the way to the Finish !!!! It was Very Nice To Meet Rudy and June ❗ And I kept telling you guys your son was going to WIN ❗ He was on his game all nite ❗ MAN could he SHIFT ❗ ❗ good thing I wasnt in that class ……… cuase he would have takin me out in the first round ❗ 😆 ❗ ❗ man he was FAST ❗ It was nice seeing the look on your faces when he WON ❗ ❗ keep in touch ………….. tomato ❗

m-amp-m-speed-amp-custom

Dino:
                                Wanted to take a moment to tell what a GREAT job you and all the guys did this past weekend!! My phone rang ALL day! The Challenger with the M&M signs on the doors is Marty Timperio’s he had the V/S Vega back in the day and won class 1975 & ’76 Sumer Nationals. He took it upon himself to do that (out of pocket) I didn’t even know about it till someone called. As I told you M&M would like to commit for next year, we have a lot of time to work on it.
                                Thanks again,
                                Rich & Tony

ronmorehead

My brother Lincoln and I cannot thank everyone enough for putting on a great show. My father had a great time to see the old Volvo cruising down the track was great ,to see the smile he had on his face was priceless. He ran the fastest he has ever run with the car I guess a little bit of technology with new tires does wonders. Congratulatons to eveyone for supporting and abusing your cars there, watching guys like Alan Peters and Don Cinto row the gears was great. My father still has a smile on his face, Thanks again Dino and Island Dragway for a great day.

cgaswillys

Dad, my son John and I had a blast. Long, great day for us. Went all the way to the last 3 cars in the Vintage class with the Russo & Santo Willys Looking forward to next years event already. Dino, I’d say for a 1st event it was a great success and can only get better.

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

Another Great Racing ‘Family” and we had a Bunch….The Olcotts ! with A real Dover Original AND soon to be famous photographer son !

jackolcott

97 cars in our class (Dover Vintage)We made it down to the final three.Had a good day despite the cold weather

Attachments:

billy-casey

Hey Tomato … next time make the sauce on sat. night instead of sun. morn. so you can make tech on time 😆 😆 😆 good seein you … Billy

quote Tomatohead:

Well I hope and already Know Everybody had a Nice time 😀 You Know the Good Times are Forever ….and the Bad Times Fadeaway ❗ ……………………… There was no way I was not going to show up …. just wish is was a little sooner. I was able to talk to everybody I was hopeing to and I KNOW I missed some of you but can see from the posts that you had a NICE time ❗ ………….. this is a pic of me in the stands …… I promise I wont be standing here next time …………
                                                    tomatohead
                                                    Participant

Same Here ❗ NICE to see ALL of you guys ❗ Bill , …… please start to work on whatever car you like ,…cuase time is a WASTE- ING ❗ ……………… and just my two cents worth ……. we could call you “Pumpkinhead” 😆 ………… just a thought 😀 …………. tomato ❗

smokncobrajet
                                                            quote Tomatohead:

SMOKIN COBRA JET FORD WINS 4 SPD DOVER class ❗ ❗ ……… I think there was 27 cars in the Dover 4 spd class , 28 if I would have got there in time 😆 anyway it was FORD all the way to the Finish !!!! It was Very Nice To Meet Rudy and June ❗ And I kept telling you guys your son was going to WIN ❗ He was on his game all nite ❗ MAN could he SHIFT ❗ ❗ good thing I wasnt in that class ……… cuase he would have takin me out in the first round ❗ 😆 ❗ ❗ man he was FAST ❗ It was nice seeing the look on your faces when he WON ❗ ❗ keep in touch ………….. tomato ❗

Boy,there’s just so much more than meets the eye with that win.If you all don’t mind,I’d like to share a story about the behind the scenes,so to speak.Rudy ran D/S at Dover back in the 70’s.We ran for trophy. During that time we started the family,and I used to go to the track in 73 while pregnant with Kevin,so he’s the youngest in our family to have actually been at Dover since he wasn’t even born yet.I had a younger brother Danny who used to tag along.He didn’t race,but he had the hots for it,like all of us.He used to go up and down the fence line at Dover where we all parked,with a screwdriver in hand,offering to adjust everyone’s carburetors.After a while,because the cars didn’t run well after his ‘tune it up’,you could see hoods slowly being closed as he made his way down the fence line with that damn screwdriver in hand.Eventually my brother,now a middle aged man, bought a 69 Camaro and we’d all go race together.Danny was Kevin’s godfather,they were more like brothers than uncle/nephew.He could shift that 4 speed like there was no tomorrow too.
                                                            We were all going to Musclepalooza at Lebanon when my brother died very unexpectedly a week before the 2007 Labor Day event.
                                                            Fast forward it to the Dover Nostalgia event and Kevin’s in the Final,against that really fast 55 chevy,a matchup that wouldn’t happen in regular bracket racing.I went over to the lanes while the guys were lined up waiting for the Elimination run.Kevin’s usually a pretty cool competitor,but he looked at me and told me he was extremely nervous.He said he was really worried that if the chevy broke loose while passing him,it would all be over.I didn’t know what to tell him.He was shaking like a leaf on a tree.What do you say to your kid when he realizes he’s not immortal? I thought about it a moment and said “Kevin,Uncle Danny’s got your back,you’ll be fine.Win or lose,it doesn’t matter,he’s got your back.” And my brother,minus that screwdriver,came through.
                                                            Tomatohead,I don’t know if you saw Kevin,after the run,helmet still on,head down,just sitting in the car? He was crying. All the days pent up emotions and nerves were in those tears.He must have been so relieved.Winning was just extra gravy.It’s times like that I miss my brother more than I already miss him.He was always first to run over to Kevin after a run.Like he used to say ‘Life is short,and times a thief.’

tomatohead
                                                            Participant

Know just what you mean “time being a thief” …………. I went to Dover with my father and Uncle back in 64 65 thats how it started for me …….my uncle raced at Dover he is passed away now , and the engine thats in my car now, came from my brothers 72 MACH 1 …………………..hes passed away now too ………………………. I know what you mean when you say you miss your brother…………. so I kind of get my race “POWER” from both of them ❗

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.