LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN !

Forums Forums NOSTALGIA DRAGS 1st.DOVER DRAG STRIP NOSTALGIA DRAGS- 2009 LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Heres were you guys can coordinate,plan and communicate! ..Due to positive response ,looks like this is a” Yeah …lets do it” ! NOW someone (Like I said elsewhere) IS going to have to pick up the ball and be “Event Planning Leader” . Current Racers —> check in And those without cars can be on “Planning Board” . Need : Track ,Date, Classes ,Rental / insurance specs, Days schedule, advertising, Expenses and projected income ….who’s good a figures-accounting. AND you don’t have to be near the track ….ANYBODY , wherever ,could & should contribute here …Lets pool the “Bus.” organizational talent & expeariance and GET IT ON !

tomatohead
        Participant

OK Iam In !!! Iam ready to put money first for this Coolest idea ever !!! I will be HAPPY 😀 to $$$pay$$$ to RACE in this event! Also If it helps I have heard more then once some of us think Island Dragway would be the best place to have it ,since its like Dover was,does anyone esle agree on this ❓ if we can agree on this ,then thats one thing settled so we can move on to what ever is next so then we can approch Tony at Island and see if he has any ideas on the subject matter , I know they race on sat. so sunday is mostly test and tune andthats when he has “Ford Day” Chevy Day” “Mopar Day” etc. so I would think a sunday would probably work out all we have to do is start talking about it like Dino said, We can e mail Tony to run it by him I am sure he could just get back to us on this forum if we give him the link ,any ideas you guys ❓ ❓ ❓ it could happen maybe late summer , early fall ????? come on guys some input ……………tomato !

Attachments:

hvy70ss
            Participant

Hey Dino & Tomatohead,
                Great idea for this season having nostalgia drags!! I race at Island somewhat often on Sundays. Sooooooo….after reading this idea last night I immediately sent an email to Tony with a request to do have an event there. I will report back ASAP. If it happens, I’m there!!

Bob Smith
                NMCA 8488

BTW……..reunion video was great!!

vbob
                Participant

Hey

The ‘Cabbage Patch’ seems like a good idea!
                    Hey, Tomatohead,figures you would like that farmland!!
                    Just gotta remember, you’re going to race, not plant a garden!

‘V’

tomatohead
                    Participant

V-BOB ❗ since I met you at Jaycees last sat. you have made me luagh and made me smile 😆 😀 and I hope to see you in the lane next to me for the first round of this thing ❗ ❗ ❗

tomatohead
                        Participant

HVY70SS did you give Tony the link to the site ,he could see how many of us are seriuos about this ………..tomato

cullyflower

Lets hope for a favorable reply from Islands management. Getting a date set will let us get rolling on the other stuff.
                                I will help with this project.

vbob
                                Participant

Hey

What year rule book will we use??
                                    The year DDS closed and go from that rule book !!
                                    Heads up ??
                                    Bracket ??
                                    Grudge race ??
                                    Match race ??
                                    Flag starter ?? ala Beaver Bob ??
                                    Pro tree ??
                                    King of the hill ??
                                    Pinks style race ??
                                    Race date,ahhh yes,the ole rain date too !!
                                    Lot to get movin on !!
                                    This is like starting those tomato plants from seed,gotta get the seed in the ole starter tray!!

‘V’

tomatohead
                                    Participant

V-BOB what about something like “bracket” classes so everybody gets a chance ❓ , like bracket 1 ,bracket 2 ,bracket 3,bracket 4,etc etc ….0.00-10.99 with no elctronics , one with elctronics ,and then a couple like 11.00-up…………..with some kind of trophy that says “Dover Winner 2009” on it 😀 ……..anybody else ❓ and maybe a tomato class for the RED cars 😆 😆 that should cover your ’57 V-BOB ❗

jimv

I think heads up, just try & get some type of classes going,wt./ci? I’d like to run my Tbucket & i have about 10 people with old skool rods in RI that would make the trip down there.If its too complicated it’ll take the fun out of it! what ever happen to the lites & trapspeed recorders? having time slips on the weird scribbing machine would be cool!!lol
                                            there was a group up here in RI that had lights, i think it was called “porta-tree” or something like that.
                                            i also think Ct dragway is still in one piece, maybe something can be done there or at one of the oval track, waterford, middletown, seekonk, thompson?? just a idea.
                                            Rememebr the unoffical” drags in the freedomland parking lot!!lol

JimV

dino
                                            Keymaster

Hmmmmm…..Heads up…only good for same cubic inch -weight ratio…Brackets ? well… why not split em up in 5 brackets …every body dail in after making 2 time trials to ballpark there perfoirmance AND Run it Just Like Dover Ran the Eliminations of class winners…It’ll be close to the old way AND …Sorry ,,,,I say put an AGE LIMIT..just like we did at Cruise Night TO MAINTAIN THE Flavor And Period of the event…At our 50’s style cruise night we cut it off at ’66 But for a Dover Event ’76 would be Authentic. Kind a dumb runnin a 06 mustang ….but IF the driver was an ORIGINAL Veteran ….HAVE ONE ‘LATE MODEL” Elim. IF thats all he has to race. see …can get confusing and the photos would be confusing too. Get East Coast Gassers,NETO,cT. Street Rodders,, and I’ll drum up the Southern Slingshots and a few more LOOK AT OTHER NOSTALGIA RACES AND “Copy” THE FORMAT…they did all the homework …especiaaly If they’re successfull. got to contact all the funnys that ran Englishtown…THIS Could BE awesome ! IWOULD BE VERY DISAPPOINTED IF SOME CLUBS LIKE WATERTOWN CUSTOMS AND OTHERS DIDN’T PARTICIPATE. Skip North needs a “RIDE” ! FTA !

tomatohead
                                                Participant

Its always nice when somebody is able to bring everything together in “style” and “weed” things out easyilly so everyone can understand ( thanks Dino),this way everybody gets to race , I would love to race heads up but there will probably be so many different cars …………brackets would cover them all,and yes 1976 could be the cut off after all nostalgia drags 1st annual is what this is about, but when this happens THERE could be a “heads-up” race on the side 😀 ,if you know what I mean $$$……………………………tomato !

hvy70ss
                                                    Participant

Guys,
                                                        Lets see what kind of interest we get on the board first as far as classes. Nostalgia Heads-Up classes would be good for all who dare for the fun of it. But we still need to have bracket classes to keep everything equal. Electronics and Non-electronics keeps it all fair. Trophys would be best to keep the fun in it……and keep out any hardcore racers. I like the idea of “2009 Dover Drag Strip Class Winner”. Special awards…longest distance travelled, oldest original Dover car in competition etc.etc. would be cool too. How do you all feel about ODF members only?? Reason is I’ve seen alot of these nostalgia events bring in regular bracket racers who would kick our ass just for a $10 trophy. This way it is kind of a members only deal. Good idea??

Bob

cullyflower

I saw Jake Crimmons at the Atlantic City motorsports show today. Talked to him about getting his 1972 mustang
                                                            nitro funny car. I know some other funny car guys to ask if we want to go with that. Need money, hopefully a
                                                            sponsors money. Right now we have the dover reunion drags sponsered by Tomatohead.

storm-king

Tomatohead, I’m dissapointed in you! Bracket racing was created for GM guys who couldn’t run with the Fords and Mopars. 😀
                                                                Really the meet would probably best be served with a combination of classes. Like some match racing or exhibition, some old style class competition (like for period correct gasssers) and some bracket racing. With all the aftermarket heads and things guys put on their cars these days it’s hard to run the old C.I./weight way. It will be hard to get guys to run in a nostalgia format and not have a bunch of them show up with “stuipid scoops”, the big aeroscoops on the tri fives or other cars and call it nostalgia just because of the year of the body. Both the track and event organizers are going to want as many cars as they can get so you end up with a bunch of cars that are just modern race cars with a tiny bit of old bodywork on them.
                                                                Who’s got current pics of Island?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.