MAY 14 1961 THE HILLS OF WINGDALE CAME ALIVE

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION MAY 14 1961 THE HILLS OF WINGDALE CAME ALIVE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    rcgarren
    Participant

OPENING DAY AT DOVER, I REMEMBER HEARING ALL THE CARS WITH OPEN HEADERS, PEOPLE WALKING AROUND WITH HUGE SMILES AND EVERY TYPE OF CAR, RAIL,TRUCK AND SOME I AM NOT SURE WHAT THEY WERE. I REMEMBER THEY HAD A LOT OF TROUBLE WITH TIMMING LIGHTS. I KNEW FROM THE FIRST DAY THAT I WOULD BE SPENDING A LOT OF TIME ( AND MONEY ) THERE AND SO FOR THE NEXT 15 YEARS, THERE I WAS. LIVING ONLY 6 MILES AWAY ON THE WEEKEND THAT I DIN”T GO FOR LACK OF MONEY OR A BROKEN CAR I COULD STILL HERE THE CARS ANd RAILS GO DOWN AND HEAR THE 4 SPEED CARS. if i knew then what i know now i would have made it there every weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dino
        Keymaster

49 YEARS AGO TODAY.ROGER is correct …Pre ‘Grand Opening” this was FIRST Day OPEN to the public,With Danbury Modifiers Car Club as ‘helpers -officials’ and Grover as the First paid Customer, Mark Mastrianni as first Manager. Photo contributor Roger Hibbert a ‘worker,with Bud Hallock as General (bus.) manager.George Hosford the first Flagman.

Official Grand Opening as shown in Ad (And reproduced on our Sign) JULY 16 1961…Will dig up Newspaper storys to go with this …Roger -Made this a ‘Sticky’ to stay up top all the time -Good memory!

dino
            Keymaster

Working title for book…Rumble in the Hills… ‘when Dover Reigned in the Hudson Valley’ ….Like yours Better: “The Day The Wingdale Hills Came Alive” !
                ……………Happy Anniversary old Friend !

rcgarren
                Participant

WHO ELSE REMEMBERS OPENING DAY OR THE FIRST SEASON AT THE TRACK, I KNOW GROVER AND MARK DO BUT IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT EVEN THOUGH I HAVE C.R.S, I BELEIVE THE TRACK WAS OPEN FOR THE SUMMER HOLIDAYS MEMORIAL DAY, FORTH,& LABOR DAY. I REMEMBER THAT THE GUYS FROM WHITE PLAINS WOULD DRIVE UP SAT NITE GO TO THE BARS, SLEEP IN THERE CARS TO BE AT THE TRACK WHEN IT OPENED. LETS HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO REMEMBERS THE GOOD TIMES AT DOVER,

smokey-dragct
                    Participant

hi roger from the opening day the 14th.of may we were there every sunday includeing holidays till the day it closed.
                        smokey

dino
                        Keymaster

Thanks to Brian and his never ending scavaging …Heres the actual pre-MAY article from the Poughkeepsie Paper.Last paragraph chopped ,but you can figure what it says .Nice Save of a great documentation.

Attachments:

dino
                            Keymaster

Here’s another From “Roaming the Valley Column;This relates to May Too.

Attachments:

dino
                                Keymaster

Check the date …3 weeks after opening ,and week Before ‘Grand Opening” In Drag Rag..Winners next post including Ron Abott, Paul Gommi,Don Gallant & Ed Prout.

Attachments:

dino
                                    Keymaster

next page:

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

Coming up….THE day FIFTY YEARS AGO….the first “Rumble in the Hills ” was heard…….watch for new newspaper ‘finds’ wev’e got of this period. Heres an FRONT Page story from the Amenia paper about the ‘hearing” the town had to vote on it’s future:

Drag Strip Hearing
                                            To Be Held April 21
                                            A public hearing will he held at
                                            the Wingdale firehouse on Thursday,
                                            April 27, at 8 p.m. to consider the
                                            question of the adoption of an ordinance
                                            to allow drag racing at the
                                            Dover Drag Strip, Wingdale, on
                                            Sundays after 2 p.m. At the hearing
                                            all interested parties may be
                                            heard for or against the proposed
                                            ordinance.The Dover Drag Strip is located
                                            on Pleasant Ridge Road, west of the
                                            railroad station in Wingdale, and is
                                            expected to attract large crowds of
                                            spectators. In the event this ordinance
                                            is defeated, the track operators
                                            have permission to hold their races
                                            on Saturday. The Sunday law is expected
                                            to permit the track to draw
                                            more customers.

dino
                                            Keymaster

How’d they Do?
                                                Check out This front page story …just 3 days before they ‘pre-opened’. From the Harlem Valley Times-Thursday May 11,1961:

Sunday Drag Racing
                                                Allowed By Dover Board

Members of the Dover Town
                                                Board passed an ordinance last week
                                                permitting drag facing on Sunday.
                                                The measure passed by a 3-1 vote.
                                                Officials of the, Dover Drag Strip,
                                                Inc., which will operate a track on
                                                Pleasant Ridge Road, Wingdale, have
                                                already applied for the permit which
                                                will permit them to open on Sun-
                                                At the board meeting a petition
                                                >>>>>from 263 taxpayers was submitted
                                                to the, board requesting a delay in
                                                the ordinance so that the effect of
                                                the drag strip on the community
                                                might be studied for a year before
                                                permission.

……some of those 263 still there it seems …but thats another story.

SEE THIS TOPIC FOR HOW TO access more Old Dover Newspaper Storys:

http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2923&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=newspaper

dino
                                                Keymaster

THE FIRST PUBLIC NOTICE OF THE PLANNED TRACK….July 21.1960 I consider THIS a fantastic historical document.The publics first printed indication of Chet & Joes intentions. And it was ‘buried’ on page 4 of the Harlem Valley Times .Consider in just 10 months , it was built and operational….with-in just three days after the Town approving the permit. Now thats the American way of taking a business risk and going right down to wire ,without giving up.If the town turned him down, it would have been all for nothing.(See previous posts here for other goodies-next posts will be zoomed -in to read Chet’s Great Explanation)

Attachments:

dino
                                                    Keymaster

“Part 1” of the previous story . . .

Attachments:

dino
                                                        Keymaster

“Part 2” continued…..

Attachments:

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Re-mem-mem …Remember when…..Song by The Earls , Bronx, NY. !
                                                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaEcxi3tgkc&feature=related < crank it up !

photo from Dick Donofrio Collection-ODF Galleries

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.