MAY 14 1961 THE HILLS OF WINGDALE CAME ALIVE

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION MAY 14 1961 THE HILLS OF WINGDALE CAME ALIVE

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    babycakes
    Participant

Dino,I’m trying to remember where I was ‘opening’ day at ‘Dover’,probably ‘Island’ Dragway with my good friend Bill and his 34 Ford 3 window coupe A/GS.Could have been ‘Atco’ also.I.m almost sure it was around late July in 61 we first went there.It took a while ‘flat’ towing from where I lived in Jersey back then.Always good competition and friendly guys from N.Y.,CT. and MASS.If we could only turn back time,huh?

rcgarren
        Participant

WHERE WERE YOU 50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEARS AGO TODAY.
            I WAS AT DOVER FOR THE FIRST OF MANY YEARS AND WHO WOULD OF THOUGH THAT 15 YEARS LATER IT WOULD CLOSE FOR EVER !!!. THANKS TO DINO THE MEMORY IS SILL ALIVE.

dino
            Keymaster

Found this little report, the Thurs. after first Sunday In Amenia Paper (See: http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html for tons more takes some searching…put “Dover Drag Strip” in search feature)

Attachments:

dino
                Keymaster

Hey ….Nobody Noticed …The anniversary of the Real Day Dover opened ,previous to the “Grand Opening”…And New this year to sponsor our Nostalgia Drags Is a Man that Was There that day racing ….Don Gallant in his Roadster. I missed it ,being in 8th grade in Cross River ,N.Y. -John Jay High School …probably sleepng late after a party Sat. night …But I Did Notice all the weird cars going right by my house on North Bedford Rd. In Katonah,N.Y.

dino
                    Keymaster

Nobody Noticed …Yesterday was the anniversary of the ‘formal’ Grand Opening….July 16,1961 Rogers Ultimate ‘Relic”

Attachments:

vbob
                        Participant

HEY
                            HAPPY 51st ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!
                            Gotta love the nonskid pavement surface!!!!!!!

‘V’

Attachments:

dino
                            Keymaster

Ok …plenty to read about Dover….Now looking for documentation on Lebanon Valley’s Opening info …Will Start A NEW TOPIC …leave this for DOVER only

rcgarren
                                Participant

WOO, 54 years later and I still remember the CARS, EXCITEMENT, SOUNDS & THE DUST!!!!!!!
                                    I often wonder WHAT IF they had fixed the shut down area, scoreboards and promoted the track or sold it instead of turning it into a gravel pit.
                                    That’s just my 2 cents, what do you expect from a ODF

vbob
                                    Participant

HEY

Yeah, it sure was candy for the senses!!

‘V’

Attachments:

patina
                                        Participant

Looks like the ass end of the “Eastern Automotive” Willys coupe

Pat

babycakes
                                            Participant

You got it Pat! Bob Lombardi’s ( once BB/GS ‘record’ holder) ‘Eastern Automotive’ Willys! Like you Pat,miss them ole ‘gasser’ days!!! 😥 Pete.

dino
                                                Keymaster

The Rumble still echos in our minds…Thanks Roger,for always bringing up the Date.

rcgarren
                                                    Participant

1961 – 2016 55 Years since the track opened. My memory is fading like my hair line. There was and will only be ONE dover to remember, the sights, sounds and People all made it the greatest track!
                                                        Thank you Dino for helping US keep the Memory’s alive.

PS I hope every thing works out for Bob Gordon ( Stackowitz ), 48 years on the run NOW that’s a record

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Roger Always remembers …amazing ,most locals there clueless there was ever a track. Here’s one of YOUR shots from ’61. Oh,by the way…still have “Determination” ? get it and your Butt up to Lebanon this year.

Attachments:

rcgarren
                                                            Participant

56 Years ago Dover opened, If you drove to the track , youngest 16 would make your age 72 wow. I am sad to hear about all the Dover family have made there last run. I remember ( I THINK ) the excitement, confusion, what class do I run , how do I stage. Some of the cars ( Loosely ) used that showed up to run should not have been allowed to drive on the return road , no less down the track. lets turn back the time to 1961 so I could take pictures with my phone, oh that’s right they weren’t invented yet, so many things have changed , I don’t know if things are better, 1961 was a lot simpler, Happy anniversary to the Dover family.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.