NOSTALGIA DRAG BIKE CLASS ‘re-invented’

Forums Forums NOSTALGIA DRAGS 9th ANNUAL DOVER DRAG STRIP NOSTALGIA DRAGS 2017 NOSTALGIA DRAG BIKE CLASS ‘re-invented’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

By … fastlane Β» Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:06 pm
        It’s Official the cutoff for this years nostalgia only motorcycle / dragbike class is now 1980 and older motorcyles per dinos blessings Thanks dino πŸ˜€ were going to put on a good old school 2 wheel dragbike show now got many folks lined up and there getting there old school cool race bikes ready as we speak 😎 fastlane. a quick example / preview of whats coming these two on the lift in the background of this photo will be in competition this year there both low 9 / high 8 second gas burning harley-davidon sportsters. going to get my current NHRA motorcycle membership and license test runs done next month. so i can ride one of these bad boys for my friend the owner who needs a rider. his brother used to pilot all three of them passed away back in 2005. YES IT’S TRUE AND THIS IS NO APRIL FOOLIN ! JOKE TODAY πŸ˜†

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

Please refer to this topic

Re: Who’s on line? the DAILY ‘CHAT’ that never ends

to see why and How we put the 1980 Cutoff rule in place. Chris is always in contact with all the Nostalgia Drag Bike Guys all over and I needed to be informed of what they were concerned about .- basically the class was peppered with late model ,converted street bikes ( most regular Valley guys) that confused the fans and aleinated a large group of hard core 50’s & 60’s Vintage Bike racers,that chose to not enter,including an entire association..that said…I’m sure the Theme & Format of “Nostalgia” will greatly enhance the eliminator….and bring in more traditional participants. I am personally contacting any past ‘late model’ racers, to explain our position.

rake38
            Participant

REALLY? How about if there is less than 10 entries anyone can run?

dino
                Keymaster

“bout Time somebody Responded…Did this to open the “Discussion” to come to a format that pleases everybody…It IS a nostalgia weekend …And many have (true Nostalgia fanatics) have complained about our “Dover New Elim.” saying it Doesn’t belong. Well we got over that years ago explaining we wouldn’t ‘split’ up Dover ‘familys’ cause the sons-daughters-nices & nephews would be left out and maybe the whole family would stay home…..Everybody got it ..ALA the Moreheads .Kids got new cars…Dad has the Volvo…same for ‘ Dover Original racers ‘ with New stuff,like Lee Valentine and others. So being that we Dover Guys Can solve things better than the younger generation…what in your guys smarts would solve this? How bout a simple Vintage Eliminator AND one for Newer Bikes. seems to work for me and the folks in the stands will see the seperation. Even as late as ’76…Dover had a Bracket for current Bikes. My two experts ( cuase I’m Bike illiterate)on this Ron Blake And Chris will be working behind the scenes and cordinate the plannig.I’m getting them together Today…watch for the latest…This is NOT etched in stone…nothing is. Always room for fine tuning.

tomblake
                    Participant

The 2 classes for motorcycles could work, I’ll leave that up to the motorcycle racers to work out.
                        If there was not the Dover New class from the beginning we might not have been coming every year. We had the 84 Mustang for the first three races and that would not have fit the 1976 limit. And we would have missed out on a lot of good times at the Dover races. That was our incentive to build the 55 to look like to original 55 E/G’er. I am glad we are talking to include the family in this event. One of the pictures in our gallery shows Ronny at the track in Wingdale back in the 60’s.

fastlane

Hi guys. i just talked to ron blake about the 1980 and earlier dragbike class thing and covered the my basic concerns about it to him. we both agreed if dino will let us have a seperate 2 bike class this would lessen the confusion between the 2 on race weekend of 1980 and older all out competition style dragbikes like mine. I.E. have a Dover 76 And Older and the Dover NEW class like the cars have as rons father tom said in his post. and if there’s not enough participants on saturday or by sunday morning to make at least a 8 or as many as a 16 bike field ? then we will come together as one group on sunday and run against each other or whoever is there. based on lets say a scenerio of 5 or less bikes in total or even a lesser low turnout or short field this should end any problems for all concerned partys. my intentions were never to eliminate another or any motorcycle competitor who wants to run in the dragbike only class just to try and make it more older dragbike friendly for the fans and guys i know who have these machines are want to come out and race there dragbikes and were confused and asking me questions about all the later models bike they have seen showing up on sunday to race over the last couple of years there was even a snowmobile ? in the dragbike class a few year ago i saw at lebanon in the dragbike lane field. thee official dover nostalgia drags race flyer / poster has printed on it dragbike class / no streetbikes allowed right dino ? since it’s always been a for fun only nostalgia dragrace there’s really no need to worry. and just like rodney king said ” Cant’ We All just Get Along !

dino
                            Keymaster

See…All Fixed…two eliminiators if ness…Chris said he’s rounding up the vintage guys and Ron’s getting his group together.Sometimes Ol Dino needs some back-up…Got guys now taking the load off like Rich Head coordinating Drag Alley,Bobby Schlegel overseeing the Dover Eliminators . Lisa maning (Oops) ‘womaning’ the Goodie Booth,Brian getting feature items and a few ‘floaters’ behind the scenes.Even have Bill Sheriff and Kman doing duities before the event. My biggest ‘East Coast under assistant Field Rep’ is V-Bob…handling all kinds of duties far & wide.Hey Tom …is this Ron at Dover ?

Attachments:

fastlane

TRYING TO KEEP IT LOOKING AS CLOSE TO NOSTALGIA OR LOOKING LIKE THE DOVER BIKES FROM BACK IN THE DAY / AS REAL AS IT GETS. LIKE 45 YEARS AGO WHEN AL CHARLIER FROM BUFFALO NEW YORK WAS PART OF DOVERS 2 WHEEL DRAGBIKE HISTORY. HE WAS THERE AT LAST YEAR 2016 EVENT AT LEBANON VALLEY ON SATURDAY CHECKING OUT THE 2 WHEEL ACTION 😎

fastlane

And Can’t forget my Mentor and Harley Racer Vito Sabato From Darien Conn who was putting down the numbers on his Gas Burning Harley sportster at Dover in the 70’s

fastlane

On Saturday at last years event the class was starting to look good. yes we had a small turnout with 3 nostalgia dragbikes that were there ready to race and a few more coming on sunday namely wayne skinner and some of his /the NVMDRA guys. but wayne blew up his triumph the week before and could not make it out from ohio to compete / participate. so this year and yes as always weather permitting ? we have plenty of time to build up a bigger and better field class of old school dragbikes before september.

rake38
                                            Participant

Fast Lane
                                                I have no problem with a two-class format, here are my thoughts
                                                Pick a designation BN= Bike new and BV = Bike vintage
                                                BN – would be any bike that fits current LV / NHRA rules
                                                BV – You make the call on year breaks and modifications to fit this class
                                                The problem is bike count over the last 8 years have been low. Splitting up a small class doesn’t make a lot of sense; many bye runs and kinda silly. Again, my thought is that if there are less than 8 BV bikes entered the bikes are run as one class. If run as one class and a BV bike doesn’t win there still should be a true, BV winner. My suggestion would be the last two remaining BV bikes run off for the winner. The last two BV bike to race for the winner would be picked by
                                                1) Round wins in the combined race
                                                in case of a tie
                                                2) Closest to the dial
                                                3) Best reaction, in that order.
                                                Because this is a nostalgia race no special considerations for BN when run as a combined class.

Your thoughts?

fastlane
                                                    quote rake38:

Fast Lane. YEAH FOR SURE SOUNDS GOOD RON I LIKE IT πŸ˜€ I HAVE BEEN THERE WITH YOU RACING MY BIKES IN THE DOVER NOSTALGIA DRAGBIKE CLASS 5 OUT OF THE LAST 8 YEARS / 2010-2012-2013-2014-2016 SO FAR AND WANT MORE PARTICIPANTS TOO. NOW ALL I / WE TO DO IS JUST GET SOME MORE OF THESE OLD GUYS OFF OF DA COUCH GET THERE BIKES OUTTA THE GARAGE AND BACK OUT ONTO THE DRAGSTIP πŸ˜† SEE YA SOON FASTLANE 😎
                                                    I have no problem with a two-class format, here are my thoughts
                                                    Pick a designation BN= Bike new and BV = Bike vintage
                                                    BN – would be any bike that fits current LV / NHRA rules
                                                    BV – You make the call on year breaks and modifications to fit this class
                                                    The problem is bike count over the last 8 years have been low. Splitting up a small class doesn’t make a lot of sense; many bye runs and kinda silly. Again, my thought is that if there are less than 8 BV bikes entered the bikes are run as one class. If run as one class and a BV bike doesn’t win there still should be a true, BV winner. My suggestion would be the last two remaining BV bikes run off for the winner. The last two BV bike to race for the winner would be picked by
                                                    1) Round wins in the combined race
                                                    in case of a tie
                                                    2) Closest to the dial
                                                    3) Best reaction, in that order.
                                                    Because this is a nostalgia race no special considerations for BN when run as a combined class.

Your thoughts?

fastlane

Two Pro Stock Harleys in The 70’S As Real As It Gets / Was back in the day 😎

fastlane

Some ” Good Friday ” News Today Thee Old Re-Fried modified sportster i am going to use for my NHRA license is ready. the owner sent me this photo tonight he is working on his other harley sportster to help fillup the class for the vintage dragbikes. Happy Easter Weekend Everybody πŸ˜€ 😎 πŸ˜‰

fastlane

Here’s another really fast ironhead harley sportster i have been trying to get / buy off the owner danny fitzmaurice owner of zippers cycle in maryland it’s the white one in the foreground. this bike held the world record for a gasoline burning ironhead sportster at one time with a super quick 8.799. they retired the bike in the early 90’s and it has been sitting in his shop ever since the one to the rear was there replacement dragbike a more modern 114 c.i. evolution sportster powerplant this bad boy ripped off a 8.39 at 160 m.p.h. on gas also. it had a trick zippers race case 5 speed automatic transmission in it. fastlane 😎

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.