Other Storm King’s

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR Other Storm King’s

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    paul-ceasrine

Gary,

What the hell was your POP hauling around in Cornwall, with those monster leaf-springs.
        Iron-Ore from the Storm King Mountain.
        Me thinks, there is a Dodge Power Wagon 6-wheel dump truck somewhere in Southern Orange missing it’s rear drive suspension assembly.
        That GTX must have been pretty stiff on the bones, for anyone brave enough to ride in the
        back seat.
        No doubt after your POP blew away any Chevy’s on 9W, he could have easlily pulled over and waited for them on the side of the road, and then offer them a free tune-up, with his trunk of goodies. S-K Tools I hope.

A lovely Pontiac GTO story to follow.

Love those 67′ Hi-Po Heads, closed-chamber, good for an additional 1.1 compression.

Paul

dino
        Keymaster

excuse me…thought I’d butt in here and post this….”The dynamic duo”…Yes fans…that’s the old Black Arrow….Ok I’m done

Attachments:

storm-king

My Dad was a Master Mechanic in the Operating Engineers Union. On any given day he could be anywhere in the tri state area working on anything from a single cyclinder flathead pump engine to a caterpillar D-9 dozer, so he had to have everything he would need with him. At the end of his life his hand tools were mostly worn out. With all the moving we’ve done over the last ten years or so, I’ve kept very little of those things, but we still have the monster 3/4 inch drive rachet set, and his giant combination wrenches which go up to around four inches!
                One thing is for sure, when we’d run somebody with that GTX, while they were spinning, we were moving. The 440 Mopar motor was just about the highest tourque producing motor to come out of Detroit, and the weight didn’t seem to bother it much. On at least two occasion that I was present for Dad was towing the Hemi ’67 GTX on our trailer, with four adults in Mom’s GTX tow car; all the tools in the trunk, and had some kids driving their car to Dover to race it, and they would try to pass us on I-84, uphill. Dad could outrun them!
                One was a Chevelle, one was a GTO. They couldn’t keep up with Mom’s GTX while it was towing our GTX race car, and they were going to Dover to race!

paul-ceasrine

DINO,

Nice photo of a nice weekend sandwich. 63′ Max-wedge and 65′ Hemi (Black Arrow/Storm King)
                    Don’t you just love those wheels on the Hemi (AWB. A/FX, C/A, S/US) car.
                    If those two cars were restored to their original condition, can you say $700,000 😮
                    Sorry Gary 😯
                    Add another $500 for that custom 3-pole engine removal unit, or was that a swing-set 😕
                    Gary, I count 26 oval-shaped DOVER clas winner stickers on the passenger-side rear window,
                    now I know the other side was loaded with DOVER stickers also. But please, scrape of the
                    Connecticut class winner stickers, DOVER stickers had more class.

Paul

storm-king

They were Lebanon stickers, the Max Wedge, which was a ’64, not a ’63, never saw connecticutt. The drivers side window was considerably more full. The car had 52 wins in two seasons.
                        Lebanon was always a blast, and the Commander family knew how to promote and show racers a good time. My favorite article of clothing, ever, was my lebanon Valley jacket. Some day, I might have a copy made. also had cool winner sticker with a slingshot on them. I’ve got a copy of one version right here on my lap tops’ keyboard.

paul-ceasrine

GARY,

Sorry about the year mistake on the Wedge. Whats the body change difference between the 63′ and 64′ ❓
                            52 Class Winner stickers in 2 years. WOW ❗ How the heck did you guys crank up the rear windows, with all that weight on the glass. Must have bent the window crank arm 😆
                            Lebanon Class winner stickers can stay. Very nice people up there. Unfortunately every time we went there it rained. (0 for 4).
                            That Max-Wedge must have won its class every week from April thru September. Did anybody beat that car in S/SA?

Paul

storm-king

Wins were in S/Sa and AA/SA. We got beat lot’s! We never beat Billy Kolb with Larsen Ford, hardly ever had the fastest car. Bill was good on the lights!
                                The ’63 cars had the headlights high on the fenders with a very small surround. The cars look light and petite next to the monster headlight surrrounds of the ’64’s. Look on the premium photo page for pics of Gramatan Dodge or Art Dury Dodge, that car was a ’63. My favorite S/S Mopars have always been the ’63 Dodges and the ’64 Plymouths. To me, they just look right.

paul-ceasrine

Gary,

Yes, now I can see. Your right, the 63’s do look lighter. The 45 degree off-set for the inner
                                    head-light makes the front-end look a little more narrow.
                                    AA/SA sounds like 65′. Wonder if you ever went up against Doc’s S/SA “Black Arrow”, in
                                    65′.
                                    I guess the 64′ Race Hemi’s and 65′ Race Hemi’s were in S/S, and the Max-Wedges were in
                                    AA/S ❓
                                    I researched something. 1965 AA/SA National Record, 12.32, set by Mike Schmidt, with a
                                    64′ Ford Galaxie (427), at the 65′ Springnationals.

Paul

storm-king

We were freinds with Doc before he bought the ‘Arrow. He raced a ’64 Plymouth Street Wedge, a max wedge with a single four barrel as I remember. he won the Pepsi trophy in ’64 with it. Anyway, we did run Doc one sunday, shortly after he got the car back from Jenkins. It was covered in Eastern Drag News. It was supposed to be a 2 out of 3 match race, but we wiped a cam and I think only made one round. It was rare for us to break, ever, but we did that day.
                                        Bill? Bill? You out there? Shed some light on this!

paul-ceasrine

Gary,

Looks like your brothers Max-Wedge must have been in S/SA in early 64′, then into AA/SA at mid-year when the Race-Hemi’s came into play. Saw a posting where your brother laid down a 12.52 in 64′, in AA/SA 😀 That would have put him within range of the National Record 😀
                                            That’s the answer for all those lovely oval-shaped Dover stickers.
                                            As for Doc’s old 64′ Plymouth Street-Wedge. That’s a 426/365hp car, if I’m not mistaken.
                                            Another Mopar, that had its rear-side windows loaded with those Dover beauties 🙂

Paul.

dino
                                            Keymaster

Had to do it ….watching this …From Matt Spiedel’s collection …soon to be added to ODF AND PHOTO Disc ! some already in Historical Dover Photos…down in the multi-media section.

Attachments:

paul-ceasrine

DINO,

Thanks for the Friday viewing of a nice 64′ 426 Street Wedge.
                                                    I guess the good Ole Doctor required a little warm-up before jumping into the
                                                    65′ Black Arrow Hemi.
                                                    If you look closely, you may see a little stagger alignment on the front-end (An old Mopar
                                                    early B-Body trick). Doesn’t the driver side front tire look a little forward to you.
                                                    Same trick utilized on Joe Kenney’s 62′ Dodge Wagon “Trick Tank”.
                                                    Oh! Those early Mopar guys 8-).
                                                    These 426/365hp Street Wedges ran in A/S in 64′, in 69′ they were in D/S or SS/G.

Paul (Thanks for the photo posting 🙂

dino
                                                    Keymaster

You’ll also notice the gate at the bottom of the tower steps to keep out the tourists…wasn’t there when I announced ….so I had to Lock the door !

storm-king-2

Our family became pretty good friends with Doc & Helen Burgess,& thier various crew members , like Carl Spiedel, & Richie & Bunny his first “partners “on the Black Arrow. Early in 64 we let several people take runs in our max wedge Dodge. Among them Doc, Al Svarplaitus, Billy Rudd ( who used to beat me every week in 63 with his Chrysler 300G). I also got to drive Doc’s 426 street wedge. I was very surprised how bad the traction was, you really had to feather it off the line. I don’t remember what gears & tires he was running then. With our maxmwedge, all it needed was a little strain against the brakes, & hammer it. Like to think that got Doc thinking about moving up.
                                                            Bill

storm-king-2

Couple of things about the 64 Dodge we had. It was never blueprinted, it ran the factory cast iron headers for at least the first half of 64, my Dad did the valve body mods, for that matter all the interals on the tranny. He also set up the tranny on Doc’s A/SA, & a couple of other cars I don’t recall. He also modified the distribtors on ours & Doc’s car to correct the off line stumble. Our car never had a deep pan, probably why I wiped the cam running Doc. We had new M&H’s, and they were really sticky. I was shifting at 7200 rpm to keep it from bogging between gears. I never told Dad, he would have really read me the riot act. There weren’t many street cars around us that ran in the 12’s back then. My mother used to use it to go grocery shopping, lettering, slicks & all.
                                                                ps: It ran a best of 12.10 / 118.0 at Lebanon

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.