"Bogus’ Dover Decals-T’s/ SEARCH for REAL

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION "Bogus’ Dover Decals-T’s/ SEARCH for REAL

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

….71 wasn’t water slide ,it was a Die Cut peel & stick, plus the year and Dover…is wrong, as is thickness of small black oval border. Bobby S. saw at a cruise. always on the lookout!

dino
        Keymaster

Always wondered why “some” ’69 Class winners decals Had “69” and some Didn’t ……………….WELL Heres the answer Direct from the supplier -Tony Neri – of then, Neri Advertising ,Bridgeport,Ct….replying to my decal investigation questions (They supplied a number of differant years with the Original design,then Mine, then switched back at the owners request) :

” Dino,I don’t think i have any records going back that far but I do remember one year I was instructed not to put a year on the kill stickers. If my fading memory is correct, it was for the reason that Chet (???) & (what was his partner’s name?) wanted to save money (surprise, surprise) and order a larger number of kill stickers so that they could get a lower price. In order to buy more than they would need in a regular season, they initially got them wiith no year so they could use them for a number of years.
            I only have stickers from 1971 & 1972 and one from 1968 that had the adhesive on the front of the decal for inside application.”

dino
            Keymaster

Posting this other topic Reply here ,as it also applies:
                “To all the guys E-mailing ,Private Messaging and Calling about Dover Decals on EBaY and on other websites …My answer is: Yes ,I watch all this Stuff…Yes, I know who they all are and No …not worth doing anything about it . “Caveat emptor”… Latin …for “Let the buyer beware”. I am rethinking if I’m going to even Bother getting into the “DOVER Win Sticker INTERNET DECAL WARS”. Most buyers (A lot don’t even know about Dover) …don’t know the differance between good, bad, ugly, cheap ,authentic, great ,average, good or poor design and questionable production methods. My art and copyrighted stuff remains that ,and I choose to continue to create Cool recreated stuff of value and meaning. To copy all the Dover Win Stickers , like all the others, seems a little worthless now. Just lost in a sea of confusion.Watch for MY new stuff as it comes from My drawing board …always thinking of what would be treasured and appreciated by the true Drag Nostalgia Guy. I spend Hours to design things the right way with talent and expeariance….not ‘scan it and jam it’. Another person who also does it right and won’t steer you wrong is JIM at Nostalgic Racing Decals.”

dino
                Keymaster

DOVER WIN STICKER INTERNET DECAL WARS…just a few we found:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-of-Vintage-Drag-Racing-Class-Winner-Decals_W0QQitemZ330390887709QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cecd4dd1d

http://www.krazyduckgraphics.com/programs/shop/estore.cgi?lst=1&lnd=10&category=Decals

Sportsmemoribilia in Milford Ct..Various “nostalgia sellers ….occasionally on Ebay , And others come and go posting on EBay, getting no sales and a couple of months later show up again. Some have a Dover thing or two “buried” in their vast products lists and you really have to dig to find them. Actually, from talking to most all over the country,the time & expense to design, produce,and ship doesn’t even make it worth it to do.The demand and market is too small to warrent the effort.
                    If you take the time to google.and use other search engines …they’re all over the place.

dino
                    Keymaster

Latest Thoughts from Real Dover Guys and customers of the Fakes. Kind of confirms my decision NOT to do Winner decals ….Quote from a Racer: ” I wouldn’t put one on my car UNLESS I WON IT…I’d be lying.We put ’em on as proof we EARNED it.” Another one : “I saw some on a car that never ran Dover – & the kid that owned it wasn’t even born when the track closed, who’s He kidding “…. “yeah I put some on I got at a swap meet in jersey, then somebody that ran there laughed at me”

dino
                        Keymaster

…..What I am in the process of doing is a concept of ‘Dover Days’ Speed Shop Decals.A Collection in one Package . These will have copyright approval from the original shop owner and have already begun this design project. Not like the Ebay commando’s that ‘steal” speed equiptment company’s logos …I’m going for the ones I DESIGNED way back then and so It’s My art anyway.
                            partial list :
                            Our New recreated original style -M&M Speed & Custom
                            House Of Speed
                            B&R Speed Specialties
                            Don Scinto Automotive
                            Murphy’s Speed & Custom
                            The Automobile Shop
                            Carmel Ford
                            D&D Automotive Center
                            Tony Chickery Automotive
                            …………….And A few more ‘Surprises’ with owners permission, that will need complete new art ,cause they are long gone .

vindicator
                            Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Dino…any artwork…you ever did…or even thought of doing for Carmel Ford/Vindicator Racing…you can readily use…forever…and always 😆 😆 😆 …haven’t lost “memory” of two 16 year old “kids” (wanna-be’s)…who had a lil’ bit…of a dream…come true! 😀 😀 😀 Drake

dino
                                Keymaster

Thanks man…doing the V for victory round one ….remember?

hvy70ss
                                    Participant

Dino…Cool idea. Put me in for 2 “The Automobile Shop”. I had work done there on a ’69 Camaro back in the mid ’70’s. At the time Lee and Willie worked there. Great shop, always had quality work. Dover time slips had their logo on the back.

Bobby

dino
                                        Keymaster

I’m waiting for permission from two still alive-or still in business guys to be ‘authorized “the Right way” to reproduce the Speed Shop decal package…Oh-And while I’m At it ….I DON”T Sell on EBAY, or sell to anyone else who’s On Ebay .SO Beware of “Bootleg” Dover products…as stated in previous posts …some of these ‘bandits’ of artwork are very questionable to quality and authenticity. Besides they steal from everybody. As of this post date: The only ‘Authorized” Dealers of our Exclusive ,designed by Me, things (All At Store page) are Brian Marasco, ‘Fastlane’ Chris Rasile, Paul Bayarinas,”Papa’s Speed Shop”, & M&M Speed & Custom.

dino
                                            Keymaster

Working on my “Speed Shop’ project full speed ahead…read previous posts here for all the info.keep your fingers crossed…might be done for Race.

dino
                                                Keymaster

Well Well…We have finally found that, YES in 1961 ,there WAS a win decal …It was given out at Montgomery And Dover with No year on it .Kind of all purpose fits any application .Came from the Nascar’s short lived “Drag Racing” division- Grover has some some and the Trophys to match. It was called T.A.N.A. Timing Association of North America.See this post for the ‘newsletter”.in the second photo ,you can see the “Emblem” that is on the win decal, in the top left.
                                                    http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=525

Attachments:

dino
                                                    Keymaster

By the way …All the Decals up to and including ’69 were ‘Water Slide”….ment to go on INSIDE of Window…so any 63-69 that are “peel & stick” vinyl are Bogus.70-76 were die cut vinyl except one that was just on a square ( 76).Petes photo of that obviously hand cut to shape.

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Got me going today …Heres a Goodie I found at gasolinalleyantiques.com for $6.50 Nice Huh

Attachments:

mikey

I was on the phone with Dino, and we were discussing the stickers and decals. While on the phone, he decides he’s going to go on the “net” just for the hell of it, and check out “bogus” stuff. He actually found a bunch, but only posted this one. It’s nice to know that at his age, he can still “multi-task” !!
                                                                ………………Mikey 😮 😯 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.