Tony Chickery…"Chickery & Hampe"

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? Tony Chickery…"Chickery & Hampe"

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    m-amp-m-speed-amp-custom

Paul:
        Got ya today I’ll bake the donuts.
        As I remember the GTX was bought from the Centolana’s. When Chick & Hamp ran out of Jocko’s & later M&M it was dark blue w/silver stripes, a 440cu in. singal carb, SS/HA. When they split it was sold to a guy named Donny ??, who worked with Chick at Eastern Offset as printers on the night shift. Chick helped with the car till he bought the Dart about six months later it was sold again to Bruce E. Smith from Pok. the car then was sold to Stu Burns (from Rocket Store) who also managed M&M’s Kingston store it stayed in the M&M corral till I left in ’77 I think. The Cragars were bought by M&M. Maybe it ran SS/HA because of a rule change? Horse power rating? Don’t know but it was SS/HA.
        When we got the Dart from Ky. it was a SS/AA car, we put the four speed in when Prostock class got started ’71. Cars had to be three years old or newer to make class so in ’72 we changed the grill and made it a ’69 so we could run one more year in Pro. M&M bought the tunnel ram and Dominators for XMass of late ’69 or ’70. It was one of the 1st if not the 1st. on east coast remember I had to pull a lot of favors to get it, linkage wasn’t even made yet we had to make our own. After that don’t know what happend I left in 1977. I never remembered any other hood on the car.
        Cream & Sugar with that coffee?
        Rich

paul-ceasrine

Rich,
            Yes Cream and Sugar. I worked at Deli for a short-time. I used to laugh, when the
            big-truckers came in and said “A large coffee, light and sweet”. They probably drank
            Sloe-Gin Fizzes too 😆
            Since you got up early to make the donuts, I’ll take the night shift with my new employee
            Giada D’laurentiis 😉
            Back to the 67′ GTX 440. In 1968, NHRA actually went by the car-make, not the weight break.
            Not sure if you knew that. The 67′ GTX 440 was classed in SS/FA (bumped up from 67′,
            where it was in SS/EA). In 1969, the 67′ GTX 440 was classed in SS/FA, at the
            weight break of (9.00 – 9.49, wt/hp). Based on a 3535 car weight ~ 375HP = 9.42
            Found an old Drag News with Chickery & Hampe running in SS/HA (1970), and losing in the S/S Finals. That sounds like the car had a 383/325HP in the car. Approximate weight of a 67′ Belvedere 383 (lighter car)…was 3335lbs. ~ 325HP = 10.26 wt/hp. Right into SS/HA (10.00 – 10.49 wt/hp).
            That would explain the car (though a GTX) falling into SS/HA (car with the Cragars)
            * 1967 GTX info. The car with the (2) long/narrow and low-profile scoops on the hood are for
            GTX cars only. The GTX was available only with a 426-Street Hemi, a special order R/O
            426-Hemi lightweight package with hood scoop (similar to Centolanza’s Belvedere) and
            a 440. No 383 for the GTX in 67′. The 383 was only available in the Belvedere and Satellite.
            How do I know this. No not by Giada 😛 , though she did help somewhat on the INPUT 😀
            I had one….a 67′ GTX 440
            Please, may I have a Bavarian Creme also.
            PC

m-amp-m-speed-amp-custom

Paul:
                Hope you went easy with Giada being the first time!
                I don’t want to think that we were CHEATING but all the time the X was running out of M&M it had a 440 in it. Hum Chick wouldn’t have done that? Would he? I was a Chevy guy till he came around.
                Welcome aboard Giada we need more racing fans.
                I’ll work on the cream donuts.
                Rich
                PS: It’s 04:30 not up yet? (its the next day) customers waiting!

paul-ceasrine

Rich,
                    I tried to win over Giada with my Northern Westchester wit, but she told me she’s more into
                    the Dutchess County type. Know anyone interested in working the midnight-to-8am shift?
                    Don’t you just love the way she says “Marscapone’ cheese”.
                    Hard to imagine the GTX sliding in the back door of SS/HA at Dover, claiming a 383.
                    Could the tech-guys down in the inspection area have been that much asleep. Can’t imagine them winning without getting protested. Unless, everyone was bending/twisting the rules. :roll:, in Super Stock.
                    Though the 383 and 440 are related, the 440 is higher (RB=Raised Block) and wider.
                    Now Chevy’s, of course no one would claim a 283 while running a 327, or claim a 396 while running a 427. Or throw on a set of 2.02 (Fuelie Heads) on a 327/275HP engine.
                    A classic line overheard on the starting line when a certain SS/FA big-block Chevelle
                    blew the motor. and one of the connecting-rods dropped out on the track.
                    “Geez, when did Chevy start putting aluminum-rods in the big-block?
                    PC.
                    A dozen plain, and don’t forget about the Munchkins! Thank You, Ms. Giada 😯

m-amp-m-speed-amp-custom

Paul:
                        Gaida’s not saying Marcapone cheese she is saying “Marchese”, Y’al Yankees tok funny!
                        Go to the first page of this site and page down to the 4th picture of the GTX at Dover and look at pass window. 😳 I’ll Have to see if I can find something with the motor showing
                        Realy I wasn’t that stoned back then!!
                        Rich (Chese) Marchese
                        PS: You mean those aluminum rods in 454 arn’t stock

paul-ceasrine

Rich,
                            I will have to fire Giada. I thought she was screaming “More Cheese”, but I had to listen
                            a little closer, and she is screaming “Marchese” 😯
                            I will now hire Rebecca “Go-Go” Gomez from the Fox Business Network “Happy Hour Show”
                            5:00 PM Fox Business. Of course, she will have to go through the same internship as
                            Giada. Think you can handle that one too?
                            I think I figured out the Chickery & Hampe 67′ GTX 440 situation.
                            1) Originally Centolanza’s 67 GTX 440 (SS/EA 1967, then SS/FA 1968)
                            2) Purchased by Tony at the end of the 68′ season?
                            3) Ran SS/FA (First, in the beginning of 69′ w/white steel rims)
                            That sounds about right so far.
                            I’ll fill in the blanks later.
                            Rebecca needs help. The MUNCHKINS are out of control :mrgreen:
                            PC

dino
                            Keymaster

Paul….What are you putting on your Corn Flakes ?

m-amp-m-speed-amp-custom

Dino: Thats what I want to know too!!
                                    PC:
                                    I’m already am doing Rebecca (thats my wife’s name)!!! But she don’t scream more she screams where’s the cheese?? Your CRAZY man! I thought that I was the only one that way in the Dover family, if you get to Fla. this winter we got to hook up, maybe we’ll go look for a donut store to buy!
                                    Cheese

paul-ceasrine

DINO and RICH,
                                        What I add to my Kellogg’s Corn Flakes.
                                        Natural herb’s and spices’ and a little CARBONA for that extra kick.
                                        You know what I just found out 😮 , Carbona also works wonders on stains 😆
                                        Back to the 67′ GTX 440.
                                        Late in 68′, the SS/FA record got thrashed by Dick Landy in a heavy-weight 68′ Dodge
                                        Charger R/T Street-Hemi (The boat must have weighed 3900 lbs., fit right into SS/FA).
                                        I think 11.90 or so. Racers running the 67′ GTX 440 in SS/FA no longer had a nice advantage,
                                        which they enjoyed previously. So most of the S/S Eliminator guys sold off their cars to
                                        racers just getting started out in S/S, or racers just going for class wins at local tracks.
                                        Some of the smarter racers realized that you could pull a fast one, at unsuspecting tracks.
                                        Put in a 383/325HP (67′ rated 383) in the 67′ GTX, and list the car as a GTX-Belvedere
                                        (which it really was). But claim the car with the same weight as a GTX 440 (as per registration or NHRA tech sheet, 3535lbs.). In reality, the 383 engine was lighter, by
                                        100+ lbs. Some racers actually got away with getting the car classed into SS/IA (like
                                        Chickery & Hampe) did in 1969 (Check the chronicles for 69′), where the record was still
                                        fairly reasonable back then. But eventually the tech people figured it out, and put the
                                        converted cars into SS/HA (one class lower), when they realized the 383 engine was lighter, and factored the cars off the 67′ Belvedere 383/325 platform (3335 lbs.) See the GTX
                                        in SS/HA (passenger side window, 1970 photo).
                                        Hopefully you understand. If not, a blast of CARBONA may help you.
                                        This trick was common practice from the Eastern Ohio Mopar racers back in 1969.
                                        I thought the Mid-West was full of Country-Bumpkins???
                                        Paul

m-amp-m-speed-amp-custom

Paul:
                                            Where have you been? The customers are p–t off, as you know I can only do the holes! Speaking of h s Rebecca has been gone the same amount of time? Hum? (she’ll kill me if she reads that 😡 ) just kidding Honney. 😉
                                            Back to the X, that doesn’t explain how Chickery & Hampe or at least when they sold the car to Donny it had and it ran with a 440cu.in., in SS/HA all the years it was sponcered by M&M? This can go on forever we can’t ask Chick or Dick (Hampe) yet, I’m sure I’ll get there first and I’ll E-Mail you when I find out!
                                            We have a new member to the donut club, Pat Hennebery’s has been on after 12:30am lately, maybe you can make him bake the donuts?
                                            Rich
                                            PS: I see Tom Blake can’t sleep either (2:48am)!!

paul-ceasrine

RICH,
                                                I fell asleep. Just watched Manny Pacquiao pummel Miguel Cotto for the Welterweight Title.
                                                That guy is amazing. Faster hands than Rebecca “GO-GO” Gomez 😉
                                                More GTX,,,
                                                The only other (2) possible conclusions are;
                                                1) The tech guys down in the inspection lane, let them claim a 383/325HP and put them in SS/IA or SS/HA anyway (despite having the 440 in the car).
                                                2) Maybe they put in a 383/325HP for the period they raced in SS/IA or SS/HA, and then
                                                put the 440 back in. (Wasn’t Hampe a 383 magician or something like that??..)

There was a dark-red 67′ Coronet R/T 440 at Dover than ran SS/FA back in 70′. Same
                                                body platform.
                                                My 69′ 440 Cuda would have been in SS/EA, but somebody at Dover pulled the plug on
                                                S/S back in 75′ at Dover. Brackets only, thats why there were only about 100 cars competing
                                                at the end of the year there. You know what a bracket is; a flat piece of metal projecting from a wall, as a support for a shelf, most often in the shape of a right angle. 🙁
                                                Check out old magazines for Mopar 440 classes, when studying creme’ filling with Ms. Gomez.
                                                440 69′ Cuda’s and 69′ 440 Darts,,, SS/EA
                                                440 67′ GTX’s and Coronet R/T’s,,, SS/FA
                                                440 68′ Charger R/T’s,,, SS/GA (Heavy cars)
                                                Note” Sox & Martin ran their 67′ GTX 440 to a class win at the 67′ Winternationals in
                                                SS/E (11.95 @ 112), which drove racers to Plymouth to order the GTX for racing. That was the hot car at the time (right time/right combo). Amazingly, the SS/EA record was somewhere around 12.30. Doesn’t that sound easy for a 67′ GTX 440. In 1968, the cars were classed up to SS/F, matched with 396/325HP Camaro’s, 302 Z-28 Camaro’s, Olds 442’s
                                                400/360HP and 400/340HP Ram Air Firebirds…Now that sounds like a FUN class 🙂
                                                Paul,,,I’m still studying…

tomblake
                                                Participant

Paul:
                                                    Where have you been? The customers are p–t off, as you know I can only do the holes! Speaking of h s Rebecca has been gone the same amount of time? Hum? (she’ll kill me if she reads that 😡 ) just kidding Honney. 😉
                                                    Back to the X, that doesn’t explain how Chickery & Hampe or at least when they sold the car to Donny it had and it ran with a 440cu.in., in SS/HA all the years it was sponcered by M&M? This can go on forever we can’t ask Chick or Dick (Hampe) yet, I’m sure I’ll get there first and I’ll E-Mail you when I find out!
                                                    We have a new member to the donut club, Pat Hennebery’s has been on after 12:30am lately, maybe you can make him bake the donuts?
                                                    Rich
                                                    PS: I see Tom Blake can’t sleep either (2:48am)!!

Just can’t wait to see what’s new or to see what I missed on the Dover site day or night. 😆

m-amp-m-speed-amp-custom

Good Morring Munchkins:
                                                        The GTX is the next car on the M&M sponcer list. I think I’ll stay away from explaining what class it ran and just post pictures and who owned it, and there was a lot of owners including myself for a short time. Look for it on Speed Shops from Dover’s past, comming to a Dover site near you soon!
                                                        Rich
                                                        Tom: I also look forward to see whats going on, so much info someone should write a book! (I guess we are) It would be a best seller! I had a appt. in Lakeland about 20 yrs ago on the east end by the old T–y bar, is it still there? If you ever get to So. Fla. look me up

paul-ceasrine

RICH,
                                                            A “Dunkin Donut” franchise fee is about $250,000. and they want you to promise to
                                                            buy (3). That means Giada D’Laurentiis can work in one, Rebecca “GO-GO” Gomez in
                                                            number #2, and do you have a possible candidate for #3…
                                                            We could put them in a 440 GTX (SS/EA…SS/FA….SS/HA…SS/IA) Now that I confused everyone, much like the NHRA did when playing class games, and take them for
                                                            Test-N-Tune while checking out the MUNCHKINS.
                                                            For more GTX stuff. Check out Herb Mcandless site. Ran a 67′ GTX’ 440 and also a 68′ GTX 440, both in SS/F…..Maybe Tony and Mr. Hampe had more pull down in the
                                                            inspection/tech lanes then anyone knew. Did they win any S/S Eliminator?
                                                            Question of the day…. Can anyone figure out how Barbara Eden got in that little bottle in
                                                            “I Dream of Jeannie”………..Please pass the CARBONA 😆
                                                            PC

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Dreamed of seeing Jeanies bellybutton..Just think how’d they costume her now…Anyways -just got a nice big batch of Photos From Rich (Melt in your mouth-not in your hand) M&M .Sorting and will post in correct headings .

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.