55 E/G – New old ride

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING 55 E/G – New old ride

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,035 total)
  • Author
    tomblake
    Participant

We have looked for the old 55 E/G car with no luck. So we decided to look for another 55 2 door post car to make a “look a like” for that car. With the pictures (thanks to Brian for one of the best ones) that have shown up on the Dover Site and the fun we have had at that last three Dover Races we have started.
        We found the car we are going to put together for the 4th annual Dover race. The car we found came from New York of all places. Think that might be a sign of good things to come. There is a lot of work involved to make it a running car for the next race but we are going to try.
        The attached picture is the car from when we were picking it up a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments:

dino
        Keymaster

IDEA….ODD JOB Match Race !! Old ODDJOB-YOU New ODDJOB II -Tony Mone 😀

tomblake
            Participant

The car is a full chassis car and the body is a long way from straight. Taking the car apart to get it media blaster to see just how bad it is.
                Will use all the spare parts that I have to get it running, the fixed income thing is a problem. That includes the engine, I plan to install the same engine that was in the Mustang for the 3rd race.

frank-j-majauskas
                Participant

Hey Tom, WOW ❗ ❗ Being a huge fan of the tri-5 modifies and gassers, this
                    build of yours really excites me ❗ I saw the quality of your work on the Mustang
                    and can’t wait to see this new project in it’s on going stages….Oh yeah, we all
                    know about fixed incomes…..Keep us posted….. 😛

Frank….

tomblake
                    Participant

Plans as of now are to make this a streetable race car same as the Mustang. We do plan to make it look like the old gasser including paint and graphics. Looking for some of the old decals, STP, Champion, NHRA and Sunoco. It will not be a clone with this car having a tube chassis but will try to make the body look the same cosmetically on the outside.

tomblake
                        Participant

Do you think Casey is smiling today? Just had to post this one for Billy.

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
                            Participant

Tom, Billy has to have a smile ear to ear ❗ Thanks… 😎
                                Frank……

mikey

PERFECT!!! …………..Mikey 😀

dino
                                    Keymaster

Just to refresh your memory…gonna go with ‘whitewalls” Tom?

Attachments:

tomblake
                                        Participant

Dino….Just to get it running and race ready we will be using everything we have first, first set of tires will not be whitewalls but will try to make the car look like the old one. As we progress the idea will be to make it look more and more like the old car so someday maybe whitewalls. The race will be here before we know it and we do want to have the 55 at the next race. Time and money are our biggest enemies right now.
                                            Seems like the early Dover Days, not enough time or money but somehow we made it.

At one time the car looked like the attached picture and before the whitewalls.

Attachments:

mikey

Tom, I’m curious about the front suspension. Are you going to stick with what you have, or go with a straight axle?? Just wondering. ……………Mikey 😀

bossguy

I was curious about that too Tom, Speedway Automotive in Nebraska has complete front straight axle kits but when I saw the tube chassis and rack and pinion I figured thats the way you were going.

tomatohead
                                                    Participant

……… Tom looks Great ❗ I remember looking for your car all the way out to LOONNGG Island 😀 and that one wasnt your car either 😥 , …… but one thing for sure , this is “YOUR” car 😀 , ………….. Now please do me one favor and put the motor from the Mustang in it 😀 ❗ ……………. really nice cant wait to sit in it 😀 ❗ hehehe ……………………… tomato

tomblake
                                                        Participant

I wanted a straight axle front suspension but will wait till after we get the car drivable. Got to use what we have to get it going first, need to spread some of the “things I’d like to have” over some time period.
                                                            The front suspension is based on a 90’s Camaro / Firebird. I found out the coil over kit (after some minor modifications) just like what we have on the Mustang works on the Camaro strut. So I have that kit in my hands now, passenger side is installed. Got the rack and pinion re-located but still working on that.

Attachments:

babycakes
                                                            Participant

Tom,already looking ‘GOOD”! I’m a faithfull ‘gasser’ nut (kinda partial to Willys) however,55-57 Chevy gassers,are just as ‘COOL’ too!!! Keep up the ‘nice’ work Tom!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,035 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.