55 E/G – New old ride

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING 55 E/G – New old ride

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,035 total)
  • Author
    tomblake
    Participant

Getting ready to do a wild burnout. 😆 I bet we could smoke them little tires after it is running. 🙂

Actually took off the big wheels and tires getting ready to media blast the car.

Attachments:

bossguy

You could practice cow tipping with those wheels on it Tom! 😆 😆

tomblake
            Participant

Babycakes…….I looked for a 41 Willis, (my favorite also) back in the 60’s but could not find one. There seems to be more around today than there were back than, don’t know where they all come from. Although there are lots more fiberglass bodied Willis now.

babycakes
                Participant

Tom your right! After coming back from the ’61’ Nationals,an extensive seach throughout New Jersey,Pa.,Long Island,Ct.my partner and I saw alot of ‘rusted’ out,either coupes or 4 doors (we were determined to build a 33-42 Willys coupe only).We spotted one in Newark,N.J. (a 33 coupe) that was use as a display.15 feet in the air at a junk yard.The owner wanted $600.00 to take it down;we passed (way more then we wanted to spend at the time).With ‘time’ and ‘patience’,shortly after,we found one 17 miles away from home,a rust-free 37 coupe for $75.00 (the owner wanted the engine back for his Jeep).So I know what you went through,trying to find one.Later on in the mid to late 60’s the Anglias’ you remember started dominating the ‘gasser’ ranks;and you could purchase a used ‘Willys’ gasser pretty cheap at that time.Anyway Tom.I had 3 ’55’ and 3 ’57’ Chevys for my ‘daily’ drivers back in the early days,and I loved every one of them! I think your ’55’ project is “GREAT” !!!!

tomblake
                    Participant

The 55 is back from being media blasted. Didn’t know they made a 1955 Delorean.

Attachments:

babycakes
                        Participant

Tom,are you going to attempt the interior (tin) fabrication yourself,or subletting it out ?

tomblake
                            Participant

The floors, trunk, front firewall, rear firewall and some misc panels to attach the wheel tubs to the quarters – made templates and drawings for all those items. Found a weld shop that could get all the panels laid out and cut by computer without loosing much material. Plan to do the installation here at home with the wife helping. The panels that will not be removable will be welded in place and the removable items like the trans cover will be aluminum with Duzs fasteners.

tomblake
                                Participant

Getting the front of the car set up, the struts with the springs and the motor plates located. Still a long ways off but making some progress.
                                    The Mustang may have the Chevy engine but this Chevy will have Ford parts in it. The front spring assembly is made for a Ford Mustang along with the Ford 9″ rear end.
                                    We don’t show favoritism to manufactures (maybe some) but try to use what we think is the best parts that work.

Attachments:

tomblake
                                    Participant

Covering the bare metal before the rust sets in.
                                        This is about as far apart as I have had this car so far. When the rear end assembly comes out, probably in an other week, I will have had every single nut and bolt off this one.

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
                                        Participant

It’s looking great Tom ❗ Thanks for keeping us posted…
                                            We’re definitely watching your every move ❗ 😎

Frank….

babycakes
                                            Participant

You sure have your work cut out for you Tom,however,by the looks of it right now,no ‘doubt’,it’s gonna be a boss-looking ’55’ Chevy gasser!

tomblake
                                                Participant

Well for the first time since we have had the 55 we are putting stuff back on the car to stay. The plan is to have the front suspension complete this weekend.

Attachments:

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Tom Try this for Decals !:
                                                        http://nostalgicracingdecals.com/

tomblake
                                                        Participant

Didn’t make the schedule of getting the front end done over the weekend. Got the rotors back from the machine shop Tuesday morning with the long studs installed. Did get several more pieces put into place before the day came to an end today. Installed the rotors with the long studs, put the fuel tanks in location and cut and trimmed the 1st two panels and put them into position.

Attachments:

mikey

I just know I’m going to regret this question, but why 2 fuel tanks?? Weight distribution, or more mileage with the E-85 if you “Cruise” the car?? …………..Mikey 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,035 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.