ASK THE FORD ANSWER MEN

Forums Forums RACE TECH QUESTION FORUM ASK THE FORD ANSWER MEN

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    vbob
    Participant

HEY

On my 2000 Ford F-150 5.4 ,the check engine light went on. I went to Advanced Auto, borrowed their scanner.The engine coolant code came up. Coolant level is right on the money.I noticed the temp gauge isnt in the middle between H and C .It always stays a little low, just above C !
        Could a bad thermostat be the problem??? I have heat and everything is running fine right now !
        Any ideas on what to do?
        Thanks!
        ‘V’

babycakes
        Participant

Bob,it may be the ‘engine coolant temp sensor causing the engine warning light to come on.Check continuity to it’s feed first for power for corrosion build up perhaps? Also,I think your right,the thermostat needs to be replaced ( must be stuck) as you indicated the gauge is reading low,and I;m sure your getting less heat and defrost out of your heater core? I know you have high mileage,and as they say ‘expect the unexpected as time goes on. Any body else have any suggestions for Bob’s issue,to give him a hand? 🙄

vbob
            Participant

Hi,

Thanks Pete!
                145,000 miles and I cant see spending $30,000 for another one !
                ‘V’

babycakes
                Participant

Bob,you didn’t mention the ‘code’ you got from the OBD 2 scanner. I’m scratching my head trying to remember codes for the E.C.T ,I think it was P0117 or P0119 (?) Don’t want to scare you,but have you been adding any coolant to the radiator? I sincerely hope ‘NOT”! I remember just a ‘few’ having an internal head gasket leak,on the right cly. head,for sure that’s the ‘last’ thing you’d want it to be! Pete.

super-sport-pete

BOB, as pete said ck code #. there are codes for high & low temps. if your gauge reads low, and it is a “low temp” code, a t-stat might do it. most of those parts stores have only “CODE READERS”, and don’t give data. you need a real scanner to do this. if you change the stat, use a motorcraft or a stant super stat. i have had nothing but problems w/part store cheapies. you also have the “GOLD” anti-freeze. keep us posted, pete.

bossguy

VB, to add my 2 cents there is a cyl head temp sensor in one of the cyl heads. That might throw a light too. Do you have the codes? I’ll keep an eye out here or call me at work 845 831 4772.

dino
                            Keymaster

V…The FORD MEN to the recsure…Bossguy right in the parts room to research on the Ford programs…OK My turn…ol Trick Truck making a new noise..strangest thing…had it since ’94 & never heard this…coming from the dash I think …remember the original “Pong” game …it’s a “Ping” like that …about every 30 seconds then nothing …then it comes back…drivin’ me nuts.No …I stopped drinking in ’84.

babycakes
                                Participant

Dino,you have to be more specific to isolate that ‘ping’ noise. Left,center,or right side of dash? Over bumps,acceleration, hot,cold out? Are you sure it’s not a ‘slight’ engine ‘ping’,when you first accelerate ( might have carbon build up on valves and pistons) ? Could be a section of the firewall flexing or brace where weld was missed on the assembly line? Two ears are better than one.Have a buddy with a stethoscope ( can even use a section of heater hose) ride with you,to track down that specific area it’s coming from,while your driving.Also look under the dash for visual brackets and braces to see if any are loose also,flexing? Good luck Dino!

vbob
                                    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for all the help! NO,I never had to add coolant.So nothing is leaking internal or external!!
                                        Yes, I went to Advanced Auto borrowed their little scanner. No codes come up just reads coolant system. Sooo, I guees its to a real shop with a real scanner to see wht the problem is. or, just change the t state with a good FOMOCO one add some new GOLD coolant and see what happens. oh, i read where I can reset my warning light myself with a couple of easy steps!!
                                        Still staying below freezing here,too cold to work on the F150 outside, so gonna have to wait till it gets a little warmer!

Thanks again for all the help,
                                        ‘V’

bossguy

VB, in my illustration the cyl head temp sensor is on the right rear cyl head below #4 intake port. Looks like the intake would have to come off. Part # 8L3Z 6G004 A retail about 31.00 Good Luck, Jack

patina
                                            Participant

Hey VB I just had coffee with my friend and he tells me about his 02 Ford PU and the check engine light came on. He took it to a good shop and the tech said it was the thermostat. The truck was also running cold on the temp gauge.

Pat

babycakes
                                                Participant

Bob,go for the t/stat! As S/S Pete had mentioned,buy a good quality one,or genuine ‘Ford’ one! All indications seem to lead that your ‘stat is stuck’ Access shouldn’t be all that bad,maybe some plastic crap to the air intake has to be removed.I believe it’s got a rubber ‘o’ ring for a housing gasket.Only trouble you may run into if the housing is frozen in the intake manifold.With patience,let some WD40 soak and penetrate around the housing circumference,and tap slightly,working it loose.As Pat D. mentioned,his friend seemed to have had the ‘same’ problem as you….now resolved! Worth a try!

dino
                                                    Keymaster

…..My ping disappeared… 😯

patina
                                                        Participant

Sounds like a personal problem 😆 😆 😆

babycakes
                                                            Participant

Hey Dino,glad to hear the ‘ping’ noise disappeared! I thought of another cause;I thought perhaps a cracked exhaust manifold,and or leak at the front exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold ( it be like a ‘pinging’ sound also) But, since the noise went away,that eliminates that theory! Pat, your a pip! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 202 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.