DON GARLITS At DOVER…’Big Daddy’ just sent e-mail

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST DON GARLITS At DOVER…’Big Daddy’ just sent e-mail

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Don Says that Round sticker in front of motor-US DRAG TEAM wasn’t on til winter of 64-65 . Making me wonder even more…My latest Idea is to call museum and talk to the poeple I’ve talked to before…and have them “wander” around and gather info. worth a shot.

maso
        Participant
            quote dinotheweirdo:

Well…we got a problem then…still say Book 64 photo IS same car 65.

Honestly, Dino…

In ’65 every Top Fuel car in the country had Zoom headers. That picture shows weed burners. 😐

Another detail:

According to the book that I bought from Pat Garlits at their gift shop, on page 127. It says that Don Garlits “crashed” his Swamp Rat in a match race against Norn Weekly at Island Raceway.

anonymous

Hi Guys,

Here is a photo of Don Garlits racing my old friend Marvin Schwartz (rip), at the finals of the 1965 Bakersfield meet. Booth cars look ike they have zoomie haders.Don is on the right and he won.

Andy Panessa

Attachments:

maso
                Participant
                    quote Plain Busted:

Hi Guys,

… 1965 … zoomie haders….

Andy Panessa

Like I said… 😉

maso
                    Participant

Okay…

John Durand says that Garlits set the 200+ mph record that day at Island Dragway in August of 1964, and yes I was there but somehow I didn’t know it. I watched him pack it up in his trailor and drive away with it that day. 😐

Go see: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/367491_hy38k#P-2-15

Can you believe THAT…!!! I saw Big Daddy set the first 200+ mph NHRA record with my own eyes and didn’t know it…

Sheee…IT…!!!

In 1965 at Island Dragway, Big Daddy match raced the Frantic Four with Norm Weekly driving and crashed according the the book I bought. I know that I wasn’t there for that or I would cirtainly have remembered that.

Attn: Dino

If you can get someone to spot that typed itinerary that Big Daddy has in his museum in Ocala. The one that I photographed. Maybe you could ask either Don or Pat for a Xerox copy… that would be ample documentation. Just a thought.

patina
                        Participant

We were at Island that day also with the MG. I believe it was a NED 1 meet and was 2 days long.According to Eastern Drag News he was match racing the Frantic 4 and lost a best 2 out of 3 on a red light on the last run. It was on Aug. 15-16. On Aug 9 Garlits was at ATCO and ran 197. I could not get in the pits either I was 14 and sneaked in under a blanket on the floor of a car.

Pat

maso
                            Participant
                                quote patina:

We were at Island that day also with the MG. I believe it was a NED 1 meet and was 2 days long.According to Eastern Drag News he was match racing the Frantic 4 and lost a best 2 out of 3 on a red light on the last run. It was on Aug. 15-16. On Aug 9 Garlits was at ATCO and ran 197. I could not get in the pits either I was 14 and sneaked in under a blanket on the floor of a car.

Pat

Pat…
                                You were there in ’65 and I was there in ’64.

dino
                                Keymaster

Just Got from BRIAN…..May 28 .1965 issue written by Ronnie Rouff! of: May 23 Dover appearance.
                                    Zoomies here and in All photos except —->THAT one dated 64 in Masos book and it matches other photo he posted with Weedburners ?..Must have been there BOTH YEARS..I’m trying to find out.

Attachments:

maso
                                    Participant
                                        quote dinotheweirdo:

…still say Book 64 photo IS same car 65.

It’s not, because he sold that one to Rapid Red Lang and his buddies from Brooklyn.

dino
                                        Keymaster

I stand corrected …differant headers and lettering not the same

dino
                                            Keymaster

ARGGGGG ! Gona find out ! 64?-65?-both?…waiting for “Raj’…manager at Museum to call me back….”got him out on the floor” ,wandering around ,gathering up info,…. Lets put this thing to rest ,once and for all .

dino
                                                Keymaster

New Twist ….did ART MALONE DRIVE 1964 version of Wynns Jammer ? look at this …”.Raj “tracking things down…DID CONFIRM DON with Swamp Rat III ..there in 1962….

Attachments:

dino
                                                    Keymaster

NOPE …BUT LOOK WHAT I FOUND !!! A MAY 3 (Yr?) Results story IN Eastern Drag NEWS WITH SAME CAR AS MASO’S Book …Unfortunatly The scan chopped out the DATE at bottom of page HAS TO BE 1964 !

Attachments:

dino
                                                        Keymaster

HaHa !found it ….da, da, da, da -dada:

For you Sports fans out there.HERE:
                                                            Washington Senators 6, New York Yankees 5
                                                            Game played on Sunday, May 3, 1964 at Yankee Stadium

…..even the Museum does’t know this ,except for book qoute (one Maso bought)…the 65 visit -knew nothing…SO e-mailed them everything.
                                                            😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

OUR BIG DADDY was There 3 TIMES 62-64-65

maso
                                                            Participant
                                                                quote dinotheweirdo:

NOPE …BUT LOOK WHAT I FOUND !!! A MAY 3 (Yr?) Results story IN Eastern Drag NEWS WITH SAME CAR AS MASO’S Book …Unfortunatly The scan chopped out the DATE at bottom of page HAS TO BE 1964 !

Is the Eastern Drag News available on CD-ROM…?

the west coast one is.

Brian, your historical Guru should have that if it’s possible.

Dino…

If you look at the caption on the second scanned photo that I posted in this thread you will see that the one with the weed burners, the early ’64 car was a Garlits/Malone car, and that’s the one that was sold to the “Dead End Kids” in Brooklyn. Someone in here may have contact with Red lang or one of his buddies and that could clear up everything quick. Red is out in California now, I think. Bruce Hertel might know.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.