DON GARLITS At DOVER…’Big Daddy’ just sent e-mail

Forums Forums BENCH RACING FROM THE PAST DON GARLITS At DOVER…’Big Daddy’ just sent e-mail

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Paul…See previous Newspaper Reports Here …Don’t think he was at Dover TWICE in 64. WE have article Above for ’64 …it was May 3. See my Smiley faced edits …don’t have any info on Aug.64 as you Stated OR ’63 at all.

maso
        Participant
            quote Paul Ceasrine:

May 3, 1964 Dover Drag Strip, Wingdale, NY (Runs 8.12 @ 192.40)

August 2, 1964 Island Dragway, Great Meadows, New Jersey (runs 7.78 @ 201.34)
            (runs back-up of 200.89)

Paul C.

I was at both of those events. I was 17 years old. I didn’t have a camera… too bad…! 😳

And…I didn’t even know about the NHRA record untill I learned of it right here on this forum…!!! 🙄

Afterthought: [Oct. 10, 2010]… Thinking this over, I think that I know what happened now. Garlits must have broken the 200 mph record on Augist 1st. 1964 and I went home. Then he and the NHRA crew must have backed it up and confirmed it on August 2nd. That would explin why I never knew until I saw him two years ago at Palm Beach International with it.

paul-ceasrine

Maso,

Thats O.K. about forgetting to bring a camera.
                Everybody is entitled to a Bye-run 😀

Dino, as for the 1964 itinerary. Look at Don Garlits print-out (photo).
                It sure looks like an August date for his 1964 appearance at Dover.
                Mr. Garlits was all over New Jersey at the end of July and early August.
                Of course this was way before my time. I’m just transfering info. It looks like he was at Island Dragway (3) times over that period, and may have had an open date for Dover ????

In 1965 he ran at ATCO on May 22 (Saturday night), then onto Dover for May 23, Sunday.
                In 1964, he ran at ATCO August 8 (Saturday night), could it be possible that he ran at
                Dover on Sunday August 9. Looks like a possible similarity in scheduling???

As for Super Sport Pete. No BIG DADDY for you. That was Don Prudhomme versus
                TV Tommy Ivo. I WAS THERE FOR THAT ONE 😀 😀
                MASO âž¡ I didn’t bring a camera either 😥 😥
                For those who want to know. Tv Tommy came in with that big Dodge truck, 68′ Corvette
                push-car on the roof, glass side-panels for the Dodge truck, with (2) rails inside. One rail
                with the cowl section behind the head-rest, and the other one a conventional-type. Ivo arrived first (about 10:30 AM or so). Everyone (spectators) swarmed around his truck. To get the
                dragsters out of the truck, they pulled open the side glass panels of the truck (swing-out type)
                then pulled one of the rails out sideways on track-rollers, to allow for one of the dragsters
                to go down the back-ramp. Then they pushed the other dragster on the track-rollers back in the truck. The coolest thing I ever saw. TV Tommy was a professional act, and friendly with
                all the fans. And I think he had quite a few people for his crew. Don “The Snake” Prudhomme
                came in later (maybe 12:00 noon). Simple Plymouth tow car and box-trailer, with one dragster.
                I don’t even think he had a crew with him, maybe (1 or 2) other people. He came in, unloaded
                the rail, and proceeded to blow TV Tommy Ivo away. Then packed the rail back into the
                box-trailer and left, very quietly. No big fanfare or anything.

Paul C

dino
                Keymaster

I tryed to read that print out …all pixiated when zoomed in..you can see that? …Ok…Gonna have someone at museum read it off while on a cell phone ..need approx. location to send them too….OR Florida guys …Invade the place with digital cameras ! Paul … For more IVO Click this—–> http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=296&hilit=IVO
                    And See Videos Bobs photos in Historical Dover Photos…Now ….Back to Big Daddy………………..

bobby-s

Paul C.
                        here is one of the pictures I put on the forum
                        of TV Tom’s set up,
                        was a site to remember for sure,
                        go through the galleries you see a lot in there

bobby s.

Attachments:

paul-ceasrine

Bobby S,

You come through again. You should have taken TV Tommy’s truck and utilized it for your rail.
                            Don’t think he had any use for it, after Prudhomme smoked him bad.
                            I’ll check the forum.
                            Great job as usual.
                            I don’t want to take credit for this, BUT, me and my friend Neil and maybe a couple of other
                            people were the only ones around watching Prudhomme unload the dragster out of the trailor.
                            Everyone, and I mean nearly everyone their was at TV Tommy’s vehicle, watching his show.
                            We thought Prudhomme would get blown away.

Paul C

bobby-s

Paul
                                check that link on the responce you got earlier
                                V Bobs pics killer color pictures.

bobby s.

vbob
                                Participant

HEY

found this up in the attic under B !

‘V’

Attachments:

dino
                                    Keymaster

WHAT…no Garlits photos ? it’s under B for Big Daddy !

vbob
                                        Participant

HEY
                                            I had the ole 8mm ‘howitster’ with me that day,I mean Bell ‘N Howl to document ‘BIG’s smokey run !!

‘V’

so then…Movie we have from V-Bob is ‘Big’ in ’65 …nailed the date ,will have zoomies …..dino

dino
                                            Keymaster

Notice : previously stated : “Didn’t have him in ’63″….
                                                August 9, 1964 Dover Drag Strip, Wingdale, NY (Runs 8.11 @ 196.70)
                                                * one of the photo’s state that Don Garlits breaks his previous track record at the track)…
                                                😯 THIS IS TIME STATED IN EASTERN DRAG NEWS FOR MAY 3-64 previous Track Record (Previous to May 3 -64 is stated as 8:12 @ 192) …had to be ’62 appearance cause track didn’t have him in 63 and didn’t usually open til april in spring

GUESS WHAT …BRIAN JUST FOUND P R O O F …Photos with Date hand written on back He WAS THERE in ’63 ! May Again …WITH SWAMP RAT 5 …ONLY SHOTS So Far That show # 5 At Dover ! Have confirmed from photos Brian just recieved, that it is Long Wheelbase ‘Swamp rat 5- B “…He used it on “Eastern tour up the coast ,into canada “.Built the long wheelbase car to replace shorter w.b. “Swamp Rat 5- A” ,for better traction on eastern tracks ….Also stated at Museum site ,that he had wife and Kids along-We Have the shot of the “Family Wagon” used as Push-Tow car…..ANOTHER Dover CSI ‘Scoop” …We Bad !

So recap: Big daddy at Dover …62- 63- 64- & 65 😎

maso
                                                Participant
                                                    quote dinotheweirdo:

… ‘Swamp rat 5- B “…He used it on “Eastern tour up the coast ,into canada “. Built the long wheelbase car to replace shorter w.b. “Swamp Rat 5- A” ,for better traction on eastern tracks …ANOTHER Dover CSI ‘Scoop” …We Bad !

So recap: Big daddy at Dover …62- 63- 64- & 65 😎

maso
                                                    Participant

jimbo

Dino:

I just looked through some old Eastern Drag News copies from 1964 but I do not have the May copy.

I was there in 1964 in May when Garlits ran and I remember it very well because I was standing on the spectator side of the track when he made one of his runs and there were so many people pushing against the wire fence with the wood posts that a large section of the fence gave way and many landed on the ground.

The reason I did not land on the ground was because I was holding the hand of my five year old nephew Greg.

I had told him that I would take him the the drag strip to see Don Garlits that day.

Jimbo

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Finally read this Whole thing…sorted it out …boy what commentary…Here’s what it all boils down to:

1962-(April) Swamp Rat III-C..Connie Swingle ,driver…TIME run -?
                                                                1963-Swamp Rat 5-B..Don Drove…8:12 @ 192
                                                                1964 (May 3) Wynns Jammer …Don Drove…8;11@ 196
                                                                1965 (May 23) WynnsJammer (with Zoomies)…Don Drove…8:03 @ 196

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.