DOVER DRAG STRIP GONE /complete photos Then & Now

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION DOVER DRAG STRIP GONE /complete photos Then & Now

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    alan-heady

just go on google maps and just keep clickinf on the ariea till you get to the strip. you can even stand out at the road into the strip, took me 2 or 3 min. to find whats left

dino
        Keymaster

Brian found this …don’t know how… but its from the State of N.Y. 1967 -the year I started announcing…

Attachments:

super-sport-pete

stopped at THE track on good friday.haven’t been past the front gate since 5/23/76.guys at the bus co. said ok to go in.they have the key? went around the fence,stood on the finish line area and couldn’t believe my eyes that this MESS used to be “our” track! . someone said there is machinery rusting in the back. they must have worn them out carting the dirt away.with “LAKE WINGDALE” in the back,i would venture to say they upset the geology of the land so much they had to stop.i finally found some good pics of what it looked like in the day and still have a hard time seeing what is left.why did they spare this one piece of pavement? yes,i took a souveneir.thank you. the racers from poughkeepsie must have burned up brakes going down #21 to the track.over +out.

gaspumpchas
                Participant

Thanks for making this such a great thread!!!

Charlie

dino
                    Keymaster

Bumped this Back up …One our Best Topics … Tommy Byrd will find it interesting… BUT ….Anybody got any Photos to add to the mix?

dino
                        Keymaster

OK Gang…one of our best Topics needs some updating here…Will someone get us a 2012 shot ?…any changes to the property? plenty of you close by…just don’t get arrested.

dino
                            Keymaster

TomatoHead Took this of the entrance, Sept 2 ,2012

Attachments:

wizeguy1320
                                    quote dinotheweirdo:

OK Gang…one of our best Topics needs some updating here…Will someone get us a 2012 shot ?…any changes to the property? plenty of you close by…just don’t get arrested.

Dino !!! Just got back from Dover Drag Strip,….. I spread my grandfathers ashes at the finish line which is the only in tact piece of the strip left,…with the exception of the return road and a 20 ft section connecting to it,….. took about 250 pictures,… documented everything…. also ran into a hunter who used to sweep the track,…says he knew you,…what a dope i am, forgot to ask his name lol…uploading pics soon !

dino
                                    Keymaster

Thats Important News !…That Make three Dover Veterans with Ashes at the Track…Ron Frost….Bill Casey….and now your Uncle.Just a testament to the Tracks lasting legacy touching peoples lives.I know of no other Track that gets this type of prominance long after its gone.Looking forward to your photos and remarks…as I know we all are.

maso
                                        Participant

Casey…???

Was that in his will…?

I didn’t know it.

The cartoonist, Pete Millar did the same thing at Famoso Speedway in Bakersfield only he had them pack his ashes in the drag chute and pop it open at 1,000 feet. I was there…! Sounds like something you’d see in one of his cartoons…!

wizeguy1320
                                                quote dinotheweirdo:

Thats Important News !…That Make three Dover Veterans with Ashes at the Track…Ron Frost….Bill Casey….and now your Uncle.Just a testament to the Tracks lasting legacy touching peoples lives.I know of no other Track that gets this type of prominance long after its gone.Looking forward to your photos and remarks…as I know we all are.

Just got the SD card with the images on it,…. going through them and will post a bunch up,…. when i was there, I was told by some hunters who park their trucks on the return road that the piece of track that is still left was the finishline,..its actually the part of the track that ran beside those rocks in the left lane,….was that the actual finishline? reason being, I assumed it was and walked exactly 1320 feet directly up track to find that someone planted a tree exactly 1/4 mile from the finishline…I called it “The Christmas Tree lol,…looking through the old pics,…and it could be exactly where the starting line was,… thought that was cool….

vbob
                                                Participant

HEY

Dino, ashes were Wizeguys Grandfathers not Uncle as you posted!!
                                                    OK, Brian ,gotta get to the track and put some decorations on that starting line tree!
                                                    Must b close to the sneakers on the pole!

‘V’

Attachments:

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Opps your’e right Bob….

maso
                                                        Participant

Oh…

Here we go again… 😆

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Have alerted Brian to ‘recon’ the tree….Nature remembered starting line? or….someone paced it off too? the mysteries of Dover…won’t go away.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 118 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.