DOVER DRAG STRIP GONE /complete photos Then & Now

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION DOVER DRAG STRIP GONE /complete photos Then & Now

Viewing 13 posts - 106 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    wizeguy1320

Since I happen to be a Graphic Artist,…. this was the GOAL of the day,…aside from spreading Poppa Joe’s Ashes,…..Consider it an Early Christmas Present from The WizeGuy,….

It’s sad how much the landscape has changed,…thank God for those houses that are still there for alignment….but I think you’ll all appreciate these for now,…more to come later….

Dover Overlay 1 by Wizeguy1320, on Flickr

Dover Overlay 2 by Wizeguy1320, on Flickr
        Dover Overlay 3 by Wizeguy1320, on Flickr
        Dover Overlay 1 by Wizeguy1320, on Flickr

dino
        Keymaster

WOW!…as only V-Bob would say “HOLY HOCKEY PUCKS!…fantastic job of merging old and new ….More! ….the fans want more!….Start a whole new topic….Time Warp by the “wiseguy” in “General Discussion…… I’ll be calling you for PRINTS to make available to the the gang.PM me a phone # !!!!!..just so KOOL!

wizeguy1320
                quote dinotheweirdo:

WOW!…as only V-Bob would say “HOLY HOCKEY PUCKS!…fantastic job of merging old and new ….More! ….then fans want more!….Start a whole ne topic….Time Warp by the “wiseguy”

hahaha Thank You Thank You !!…totally my pleasure,…..i’m actually gonna print a bunch out and go back….and bring a latter cuz the land is about 15 feet deeper than it was,…..

also, i take requests ! lol and ill do my best

maso
                Participant

Dino…

Make a special catagory for these in the “Photo Gallery”

😆

seabake
                    Participant

SPOOKY!!

bossguy

Very, Very, Very cool!

babycakes
                            Participant

I agree WiseGuy 1320,they are very “COOL’!!! You do nice work,and thanks for sharing! :ugeek: 😮

super-sport-pete

EXCELLENT WORK WG 1320!! it seems that island might need your skills. i hope not. south glens falls dragway suffered the EPA demise. it seems no matter what you do, you cannot reverse their decision.dover is not easily recognized as a race track any more, except to the trained eye. i hope that small piece of pavement stays there so we have “SOME” proof. other area tracks are still intact and not used or outlawed by local gov. like it or not,our the culture of our era will fade, but thanks to dino and other contributors will not be forgotten and documented. see ya.

wizeguy1320
                                        quote SUPER SPORT PETE:

EXCELLENT WORK WG 1320!! it seems that island might need your skills. i hope not. south glens falls dragway suffered the EPA demise. it seems no matter what you do, you cannot reverse their decision.dover is not easily recognized as a race track any more, except to the trained eye. i hope that small piece of pavement stays there so we have “SOME” proof. other area tracks are still intact and not used or outlawed by local gov. like it or not,our the culture of our era will fade, but thanks to dino and other contributors will not be forgotten and documented. see ya.

THANKS SS PETE !,…listen, I’m 25,….. I have a Car Club that has 6 of us in our 20s….about 15 all together, cars no newer than ’72……. The Culture isn’t going anywhere as long as we are Screamin’ the Streets !

don-kauer
                                            quote WizeGuy1320:

quote dinotheweirdo:

Thats Important News !…That Make three Dover Veterans with Ashes at the Track…Ron Frost….Bill Casey….and now your Uncle.Just a testament to the Tracks lasting legacy touching peoples lives.I know of no other Track that gets this type of prominance long after its gone.Looking forward to your photos and remarks…as I know we all are.

Just got the SD card with the images on it,…. going through them and will post a bunch up,…. when i was there, I was told by some hunters who park their trucks on the return road that the piece of track that is still left was the finishline,..its actually the part of the track that ran beside those rocks in the left lane,….was that the actual finishline? reason being, I assumed it was and walked exactly 1320 feet directly up track to find that someone planted a tree exactly 1/4 mile from the finishline…I called it “The Christmas Tree lol,…looking through the old pics,…and it could be exactly where the starting line was,… thought that was cool….

I knew the finish line was still there and we set it up to spread Billy’s ashes there…There were about 20 of us..Just family and close friends…The Super Pumpkin 7 was there along with a super sound system (compliments of brother Bobby Casey) playing Billy’s favorite Oldies…Billy”s Wife Donna and daughter Cheryl along with brother Bobby and sister Judy spread the ashes..A very touching send off for a very special guy……. 😥

dino
                                            Keymaster

Took a Trip to the old site on My Dover Fest Trip…Then on Sat morning Bobby Schlegel and I stopped for coffee at “cousins’ …There were some “locals’ having coffee….Heard ‘something” in their conversation about the “Bus Garage” .so ,nosey big mouth me, strikes up a conversation with them. Seems a couple were bus drivers and said the Bus Garage is moved .Another guy said HE was now renting the building for his business and the front building was now empty where the guy had the wood shop. He said there’s three new owners and he only met one of them, in his negotiations to rent the old bus garage. AND said the guy was with Goldmans Saches…the big time wall street outfit. We are thinking Mr. Muncie might have ‘moved’ the ownership to some of his big business buddies ‘on paper’ to what purpose, can only be speculated. Then again…I will call him and try to get the straight scoop. Seems the old Hospital renovation project is moving along again, and some of these Dover property ‘investors’ might see a renewed interest for ‘housing’ OR -? in the future. Lisa is on the case to do some snooping.

super-sport-pete

I took my yearly trip to the track to see the front buildings GONE, and the chain and all of the warnings . For a place that is for sale, they don’t present it in a friendly manner. I know people have been there, but I guess last year was the last time I saw “THE’ track. I was never lucky with the police. Thank GOD we have all these photos on this website. Have a good holiday guys! Pete.

rcgarren
                                                    Participant
                                                        quote rcgarren:

On July 4th 1976 I was going past the track and the gate was open so I drove up in, I drove down the staging lanes and stopped on the starting line and got out. It was DEAD quiet ( scarry ), I went up to the tower the door was locked , I looked inside and every thing was there just like I remembered it, ( it was like they closed the door and said see you next week ).Looking around The only thing that changed is they had put two piles of dirt half way down the track in both lanes. Like all the times I ever went to the track it seamed, NO CAMERA .
                                                        The next time I went back was 1991 and I took the video of what was once Dover and went to the 1st reunion with the film. If you listen real close you will hear drag cars in the back round, GHOST OF DOVER????????.
                                                        I was talking with a man by the name of George Strid in about 1985 and I mentioned Dover and he said I was there building it. I said what did you do, he said I spent 3 months on a bulldozer, never asked about who else worked there or if he had any pictures.

( July 4 2017, Hard to believe it was 41 YEARS AGO !!!!!!!!!! )

Viewing 13 posts - 106 through 118 (of 118 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.