"Plain Busted"

Forums Forums WHERE ARE THEY NOW ? "Plain Busted"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Found this In ODF Member’s Gallery (T.O’Shea Photo Collection)
        Question ? ? ? ❓ ❓ ❓ is this the same “plain busted” as new member on forum ??????Check in and reply Mr. ‘plain busted’ …need some info on car.

Attachments:

anonymous

Yes it is.
            My cable connection is down and I will write back to you guys as soon as it is up.

anonymous

Here is a little history on the car

It statred out as a 1964 Dodge Factory Super Stock owned by Bill “Maverick” Golden. It then became one of the shortest wheelbase AWB Funny Cars of that time. Notice how the rear wheels are right at the back door and the other cars of the time were several inches back. I think the wheelbase was 96″. Maverick sold the car to Dick Carr in CA and he ran it for awhile before us. It had an injected steel block hemi with an Art Carr torqueflight and weighed 2400 lbs. The car did too many back bumper wheelies and a extended tube front end was put on with a 1965 dodge nose. I think the wheelbase went to 105″ and the car went straight as it could fr those days. We ran the east coast match race circuit and had a great time. Dave Hodgman and Mike Rothman were great guys to be with.

Andy Panessa
                Carmel, NY

quote dinotheweirdo:

Found this In ODF Member’s Gallery (T.O’Shea Photo Collection)
                Question ? ? ? ❓ ❓ ❓ is this the same “plain busted” as new member on forum ??????Check in and reply Mr. ‘plain busted’ …need some info on car.
                dino
                Keymaster

Ah-so…Hey Andy..like one of the ODFguys told me on the Phone …”wish I could remember the names & the faces”…Know the car! 😉 . Remember when you showed up with it .Thought some hot shot from California was coming in to take on the locals . Remember the “California -style ” Dick Carr lettering. But hey ,I’m a lettering guy.

anonymous

Yes,
                        We also left the CA plates on the trailer. I have some old photos of the car with the Dick Carr name on it. I have to find them. I have many other photos and some of Dover and what I think is Dover. And all the other tracks we went to with you name it’spicture.

quote dinotheweirdo:

Ah-so…Hey Andy..like one of the ODFguys told me on the Phone …”wish I could remember the names & the faces”…Know the car! 😉 . Remember when you showed up with it .Thought some hot shot from California was coming in to take on the locals . Remember the “California -style ” Dick Carr lettering. But hey ,I’m a lettering guy.
                        34gasser-65awb

Andy, that ol’ Dodge is one of my favorites. The other Maverick ’64 ended up running as AWB (although it looks like it was moved about 8″front and 10″rear) and called “Prosecutor”. Still had an aluminum ’64 nose. Work was done by Branstner.

Shell was found a while back and the guy brought it to a shop to be restored to the “Prosecutor” version. Last I heard he ran out of momey and the project stalled.

Take a look at my website primerking.com I’m cutting up a ’65 Dodge to go AWB racing. It’ll take a while though.

anonymous

Hi,

Looked at your website and boy that is a whole lot of cutting you have to do. If you need any photos of altered wheelbase funny cars for your prodject, I have many of them. The color photo by Bob Plumber is at the Super Stock Nationals at Cecil County, MD. I think it was 1966 or ’67? Thats my 427 Impala tow car next to the funny car. We made it to the semi-finals. The car was extended with a tube front end and a ’65 nose put on it. It was a 1964 Dodge purchased from Dick Carr with the aluminum nose. The car was first owened by Bill Maverick. When I spoke to him about 6 years ago, he said he sold the car to Dick Carr.
                                The car went nice and straight after the front end was put on. The rear set-up was very simple and worked well, super stock springs and a pinion snumber.

Regards
                                Andy

Attachments:

34gasser-65awb

Hi Andy! Thanx a bunch for the reply and for bieng just plain cool with talking about the AWBs. You are certainly correct, there is lotsa cutting/work ahead of me to even get my Dodge back on 4 wheels. No worries though, it’s a nothing 4door car. Nothing good going to waste here! I’m still young (just turned 30) and hopefully have plenty of time ahead of me to get it rolling again. Plan is to keep it as authentic as possible to ’68 or so.

I would love to talk more AWBs and see whatever you might be interested in sharing. I will reciprocate if by chance I have anything that you don’t. There is a few yahoogroups for funnycars and match racers that you would probably enjoy if you are not already part of them. Most of those Mopars did (and still do!) work quite well with just the S/S springs and a snubber!

dino
                                    Keymaster

ThIs is the way I saw it first at Dover …”California Style”

Attachments:

anonymous

Hey Dino,

You fixed the photo up good. I have to thank Smokey for sending the picture to me. He had it at the the Dover reunion and was nice enough to send me one.

Andy Panessa

storm-king

If you guys are doing an altered wheelbase job, or interested in how some guys are doing it as well, contact my buddy Howie on this site. He’s built one nice one already, sold it, and now doing another one. Actually, he has a guy in Mo. doing most of the heavy work. They’ve got a nice alignment jig set up for moving the front suspension forward, got the long torsion bars, etc. The guy does some nice work.

anonymous

Thanks for that info Storm King.

I might be intrested in the future, if I can find a ’63 Dodge and then get a ’65 extended front. Right now, I am working on a ’69 Camaro and hope to have it on the track in 2009.

Andy

{Do I DETECT a possible “Plain Busted” Clone ??? hmmmm……Hey guys ..He needs a ’63 Dodge &’65 front end, edit-Dino}

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Wish I could read what’s on that sweat shirt …”camp something”….just curious…and It is Dover.

anonymous

I don’t know who the two guys are in the photo? It’s not me or Dave Hodgman. The guy with his back to us kind of looks like Charlie Castaldo from the back, who was a friend of ours.

Andy Panessa

storm-king-2

What year was that at Dover? I don’t remember ever seeing it. It may have been while I was away working for my Uncle Samuel , “66 & 67”? S/S springs are awesome, used to have people tell me all the time that I needed to get traction bars. My partner Richie & I talked Ed from Ed’s Speed & Specialties, ( forgot his last name ) into trying a set, & getting rid of the lakewoods. He had been running 12.20’s with a 340 tunnel ram, 4spd. “66” Dart. 11.80 first run out of the box, no other changes. Had to run from him, thought he was gonna kiss me.

Bill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.