THE Shelby Mustang- Dover Guy Connection

Forums Forums RACE TECH QUESTION FORUM THE Shelby Mustang- Dover Guy Connection

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    vindicator
    Participant

😀 😀 😀 HEY “BOYZ”…” actually”…the “count” of x-Hertz GT-350’s…retailed @ the old Carmel Ford…was over 20 (don’t know where Dino got his #’s 😆 😆 😆 )the “big” guys (dealers) were supposed to dispose of them…maybe got a lil’ “weak-kneed”…and the NY district (Ford)…was “STUCK ” with a pile of ’em…stored at what is now grounds of Westchester County airport…people got “word” they were just sitting out there (in the field)..and they were getting “ravaged” every night!!!..Ken Lindsey, distribution manager was in a “heap” o’ trouble…so we took ’em all (a few dealers had bought a few…Larsen,Rye,Danbury,Ritar in Norwalk)…refurbished them for auction (for Ford)…kept the nicest stuff for ourselves… 😀 😀 😀 …a couple actually were 4-speed exec cars too..naw’ Caroll Shelby didn’t call…wanting my “advice”…he coulda’ cared less…it wuz’ Ford’s/Hertz buy back deal…AND THAT WAS THE END OF THE STORY…as far as CS went ‘eh 😆 😆 :lol:…had a few too…(my own)..4.56’s…old timey continental convertor…holley 715 (like on the “real” 350’s)… Shelby “sullivan” cam,.017 steel shim head gaskets, 7″ Casler slicks,Bobby Herman “curved” the distributor,and one of the…very “bestest” real friends…I’ve had in this life…”Willie” Hormerete “hisself” 😀 😀 😀 …did the carb/tuning…me longtime sweetheart…the one and only Judi Nemeth (that lil’ girl could drive!!!)…WON 4 OR 5 TROPHIES WITH IT…@ Dover in D/SP…ran a best of 13.06…around 107 mph…and drove it everyday on the street…”flyin’ past my “Cousin Vinnie’s Amoco” station…it ran 14.70’S through the headers…with 4.11’s (otherwise “stock”)…no slicks…fastest car…at that time I ever had…though…at that time ( mid-late 60’s…70’s) on the street…wuz’ my dual/4v-hi-po…jag rear-end… 200 Griffith…that lil’ boy wuz’ a “Bad Jose”…surprised a lot more than a few people eh’…but that’s another “story”…for another time!!! 😆 😆 😆 that lil’ rascal could make some serious “laps” around…lake Gleneida for sure… 😆 😆 😆 Drake… p.s. the late Frankie “Cee-gar” Rotella (one cool “dude”)…(Danbury) just hadda’ have my/Judi’s 350…seems he bought one from Danbury Ford dealer…who told him…if he modified it….that would be the end of the warranty…so he traded that Hertz car in to us…for the 4.56 car…believe he won 8-10 times with it too… 😀 😀 😀

paul-ceasrine

DRAKE,
            I just knew you would come out, and dust-off the ‘road-racing gloves’ 😀
            The Route 6 section around Lake Glenieda was about a 1/2 mile, from the west-end point near ‘Dain & Dill’s Lumber’ to ‘McNulty-Plymouth’. Should have taken you about 20 seconds, with a running start 😛 . I could see you start at the west-end point, from my fathers Amoco Gas Station,, with my $3.00 Binoculars, that I bought from Cornish’s Drug Store. A beautiful
            view across the ‘crystal clear lake’ 😉
            Of course your ‘pit-stop’ would be down ‘West End Road’ and up ‘Fowler Avenue’ , at what,,
            about 70MPH 😮 .. And you never came into the gas-station for a ‘Pit-Stop 😆 Didn’t you ever see me trying to wave you in,, I had the ‘Windex’ and towell to clean the windshield 😆
            NEXT CHAPTER 🙄
            Ford vs. Mopar.. I have to admit, at the end of 67′, my mother wanted a 67′ white fastback
            that was on your lot (Carmel Ford). Nice car, a white 67′ GT, 4-speed and K-Code (271HP). Not sure if it was new, a left-over, or a ‘Drake’ tested car. Maybe around $2800 or so. Would have sent us into ‘FOMOCO’ land. My father had been trying to buy a hot Comet Caliente’ from someone in Gypsy Trail, and when that fell through, we looked at the Mustang. But,
            McNulty-Plymouth had a soft-yellow 67′ Barracuda. 😉 😉 END OF STORY!
            Paul,,,’MY COUSIN VINNIE’..”2 Utes”

vindicator
            Participant

😀 😀 😀 …Yo’ Paulie (“Walnuts”)…never have been much for any “road course” grand prix…however…on rte. 6…either up the hill towards overpass…or down the hill towards shopping center…we had a lil’ “business” REGUARLY…from time to time 😆 😆 😆 …how “convenient”…on one side of the road by overpass lived…”Bud” Gerahty (Carmel cop)…across the street Doug Day (owner McNulty-Day Chrysler)…if we annoyed your dad (never really “meant” to…he was/is a “cool” guy)…at times…”BUZZING”…past the station….”whoa’ nellie”…we absolutely “tortured” (by “design”) the afore-mentioned pair…often…and at the just the right time (s) in very late night/early am hours 😆 😆 :lol:…the area was pretty “desolate” then…much less population…U…get the idea…on the gas deal…ol’ Frank’s Sunoco (rte 52)…had 260…that was supposed to be the “hot” ticket…way back when…one night way back…a guy..Barry…a very nice guy…(I think his name was McGuire…”the eve of destruction” ‘eh???!!!)…John Sachs would know…he (Barry) was some sort of “wrench” @ Larson…had borrowed (let used?) a 289 AC car from Larsen…any way…he wuz’ talkin’ it up…at the old annual carnival on lake Gleneida…’bout how awesome the AC wuz…yada’…yada’…so we had a “go”..vs. “Snorky”… my Griffith…once,twice…probably 5 or 6 times…ol’ Barry wuz so far back…we cudda’ run a 100 times 😆 😆 😆 …WUZ WITH A NAMELESS (to protect the “innocent”) “WILD CHILD” gal…who I don’t exactly “remember” whether…she wuz just making a obscene hand gesture out the back window…or wuz “mooning” him (she wuz’ only just a lil’ “toasted”)…good thing the rear window on a 200 Griffith is small…Barry wuz a sizeable “dude”(he cudda’…hurt me!!!)…don’t think he woulda’ taken that too kindly…to us laughin’ at him!!! (really wasn’t laughin’ at Barry…just how “slick” that “cra-zee” lil’ car…Griffith…wuz’) 😀 😀 😀 …ol’ Bud & Doug had the lights on… then came out in the road,waving their arms-yelling…cops…on the way…by the time we were ’bout “finished up”… 😆 😆 😆 …oh, by the way…the “wild child”…has been the vice-president of a very prestigious bank (“hi-brow” CT. town) for over 20 years…right around the corner…from where U…live “Hoss”… 😆 😆 😆 …Mopar,Ford,Chevrolet…we all make our “choices”…that’s what “life” supposed be all about..in America!!! 😀 😀 :D… cause the one and only… boxin’ promotor…Don “only in america” King…SEZ’ so 😆 😆 😆 Drake

john-sachs-sr
                Participant

Drake,
                    That be Barry Edgett,one of my helpers 😯
                    John

dino
                    Keymaster

Drake …my brother told me about the two per Dealer…thought he had a “limited edition”, but he always did ‘stretch ‘ the story for effect.

vindicator
                        Participant

😆 😆 😆 Hey Dino…we probably told Ted that!!!…U…know them used car salesman (I’m sure…’er almost sure…a young…”Willie Loman” told him that when he bought it @ Carmel Ford)…just can’t believe them “cats” ‘eh???!!! 😆 😆 😆 …just never knew what happened to Ted’s 350…”figured” with his marriage…often that’s the “end” of the hot rod “daze”…at least for awhile…Ted was just one very good guy…we (all who knew Ted) just are “unlucky” enough…not to have his prescence with us now…I well remember the bond you two always had with each other…as brothers… 😀 😀 😀 Drake

dino
                            Keymaster

His Car ?well here’s the whole sad story.After a heavy night doing the Pa -sound for Gates Pass band at the Granite house. remember that place? he was juiced and cruisin home .Ended up going through a stone wall into someones living room, knocking out a few teeth in the progress.They towed it to some Body Shop in Bedford Hills on Adams St. Well …He couldn’t pay the Storage and they got the title after 30 days. THEN turned it on its roof -torched out the engine and trans AND Buried it. Makes me sick. Ah – the front end …what was left ,was pretty totaled. But up til his passins…had a die-cast exactly like it on his desk in Florida. Yeah we did some real ca-rousin in that baby together .

paul-ceasrine

DINO,
                                    Your on the Shelby thread, not ‘Rock-N-Roll’ 😆 . But yes,,,’Gates Pass’ great band
                                    covering Northern Westchester..I caught them at the end of their run,,,at Mount Kisco
                                    Bowling Alley..Louie on lead guitar,,,he said there was more money to be made as
                                    a ‘session-player’,,more of a ‘hired gun’..

Drake,,did you ever try to get one of those 65′ GT350 Drag Units.. with the ‘Balanger’
                                    4-tube headers..’Les Ritchey’ ran one..
                                    I would think those Port Chester boys worked the ‘Midnight Auto Parts’ run, when those cars were parked in the lot near the Westchester Airport 😉 A 5/16″ and 1/2″ wrench, a couple of turns, and ‘Presto’, an aluminum dual-plane high-rise, and 715cfm Holley. ‘Merry Christmas’.
                                    Paulie Chestnuts…

dino
                                    Keymaster

you mentioned K car..what was that ?.Brian ,just yesterday ,was showing Rudy & Kevin Bleakley a “Barn -Find ” up in Kingston someplace , like ’67 K car thats been parked in some guys carport for about 30 years. little rough but low milage . ORIGINAL OWNER…old guy that never got around to doing anything with it.Whats it worth as a fixer-upper.? Brians All Over the Hudson Valley on his propane route and sees a lot of ‘stashed’ cars.

bossguy

Dino, “K” is the 5th digit of the VIN. Tells you what engine K=289 hipo 271HP. solid lifters
                                            G= Boss 302
                                            R= 428CJ ram air
                                            Z= Boss 429

…………………..Ah-so …Thanks …so a Shelby would be a K too ? dino

mikey

Hey guys, I’m not sure if anyone’s interested, but I put my enclosed trailer on racingjunk.com and a guy wants to trade me an 89 Mustang notch with lots of goodies. Check out add #1797805, maybe we could do something.
                                                …………………Mikey 😆

dino
                                                Keymaster

Ok Ford Freaks Here’s the Specs on mikeys ‘trade” whats it worth ?
                                                    $7,500.00
                                                    might consider a trade of a 24 to 28 ft enclosed trailer.
                                                    No motor?
                                                    89 notch chassis ,8-point cage,35 spline moser axles,full spool,c-clips,upr anti-roll kit upper/lower control arms,drive shaft loop,subframe connectors,morso rear springs,50/50 rear,90/10 front k-member,28/10.5 tires rear ,skinnes on front (welds)all electronics,fuel cell, set up for a bbc and a powerglide,new black plaint,new head lights,taillights,southern outlaw wing,6 inch cowl hood,racing seat,new tach,456 gears. way to much to list. will post pics later. 7500. or best offer. also have all frame work ,nine in rear,tin work,and ladder bars to make into a big tire car,for an extra 1200$

vindicator
                                                    Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Paul…nope never “drove” or really had any interest in a drag-350…wuz lookin’ to go way faster…race car wise…the only legit “franchised” Shelby-American dealers…in the greater New York metro area…was Larsen Ford in White Plains and “then” Gothem Ford in Manhattan…we bought a few new pieces to re-sell from Carl Larsen/Bill Kolb…but we bought and sold a pretty good amount used…thinkin’ about the Griffith…brings back a couple of quick “memories”…in Carmel probably a bit before you & dad’s time (I think the Davidsons’ still had the Amoco station then)…a fellow by the name of Dick Crawford…was the premier hot rod-drag race car builder(front to back…top to bottom)…you’re good at lookin’ stuff up….Dick (“Big”) to us “intimates”…could do it all…introduced me to the original “Fast” Eddie &Charlie @ Simonecks’ in NJ…”Pappy” Huff too (truly legendary guys back then)…the original gasoline alley ‘eh…anyway Dick did the motor assembly (Griffith) after Simonecks’ did the machine work/balancing…and of course every engine just hadda’ have a Racer Brown roller cam…that wuz Big’s cardinal rule!!! 😆 😆 😆 …Big won D/G @ the 1958 nhra nationals @ indy (might’ve been ’59)…see what you can find…”it is a fact jack”…also hand built the “Mr Toad” falcon wagon for Roy Hanshee…I could tell ya’ a lot ’bout …it… he worked at his house…also had a shop right across from the Powertest on rte 52…Crawford Automotive…I wuz very influenced by Big 😀 😀 😀 …as I believe were many others in the early years…he helped-guided us right up to our altered wheelbase falcon…then for him…the cars weren’t home-built anymore (no back-yard “ingenuity” 😆 😆 😆 )…and Big really didn’t have much interest…I lost touch with Big years ago…in the days/years (10-12) when I wuz travelin’ funny car/circus shows 2-3x a week…never forgot ol’ Big…don’t know if he’s still around…know his son passed away a few months ago…your “mission”…should U…DECIDE TO ACCEPT…first find the nationals class win…then maybe…we’ll go on from there ‘eh???!!!*** 😆 😆 😆 Drake

paul-ceasrine

DRAKE,
                                                            I’ll research that one, the 58’/59′ Nationals. Like to see the ET/MPH times. See how far the racers have come. YES!!, I guess the GT350 Drag Units way ‘TOOO SLOW’ for you 🙁
                                                            Davidson’s Amoco before, ‘West Road Amoco’. I did not know that..The only thing I remember is ‘Larry Piazza’,,and that ‘Amoco Premium’ was only one ‘Lead Free’, and the
                                                            octane level was ‘on-par’ with ‘Sunoco 260’. Then ‘H & H Racing Gasoline’ was everyone’s choice, or should I say ‘Breakfast Gasoline of Champions’,,,right ‘Don Pardo’ 😆
                                                            The K-Code,,65′ thru 67′..289 Hi-Po with 271HP. Solid-lifter camshaft, special cylinder heads with the cast risers to prevent the valve springs from walking during high rev’s, dual-plane
                                                            high-rise intake, dual-point distributor, and bigger Auto-lite carb. Good street machine, and
                                                            minimal service.
                                                            DRAKE, ‘Racer Brown’,,the way to go…But not cheap, 😮 .$$$.
                                                            I’m not sure on this one, but the white 67′ K-Code 4-speed fastback that my mother didn’t get from Carmel Ford, may have been purchased by one of our friends,,Terry Ashby?
                                                            Paul,,
                                                            P.S. Put me down for a set of Gabriel ‘Silver Eagle’ 50/50 lock-down rear shock absorbers.
                                                            BOSSGUY, what car were those ‘Baby’s’ mounted on??? 😉

vindicator
                                                            Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Paul…nope the 350 drag cars weren’t too “slow”…by any means…however for a “pure” race car…we wanted “exposure”…and didn’t want compete with people (our customers) who patronized us…U…get the idea 😆 😆 😆 …don’t “bite” the hand that feeds U…’eh…knew Terry Ashby back in the day…another name to ad to the “where are they now ” list…and how ’bout…what are they doin’ (think anybody…might doin’ 10-20 in da’ big house???!!!***) 😆 😆 :lol:…”snorky” (Griffith) would run 11.90’s @115…with the Casler tires on…leavin’ @ 5,000 rpm (really couln’t “trust” that Jag rear…to “bonzai” start)…shiftin’ it about 7,500-8,000…that wuz fairly “stout” for a registered street car…35-40 years ago…it wouldn’ be much today…”dig” on Big…Racer Brown’s most ardent lifetime $upporter 😆 😆 😆 …he was/maybe is one really cool dude…incredibly talented too…with more than a few stories…to tell 😆 😆 😆 Drake…told Terry way back…the Mustang…would “change his life”…”gal-wise”…seem to re-call…it did 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.