THE Shelby Mustang- Dover Guy Connection

Forums Forums RACE TECH QUESTION FORUM THE Shelby Mustang- Dover Guy Connection

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    fredrice
        quote bossguy:

Fred Rice had a Tiger at Dover. Maybe he’ll share memories with us.

Ok….you asked for it. I had just finished fitting it with a hipo 289,Belanger headers, Konis, etc. and was out for a drive to Bloombergs supermarket in Lk Carmel to get some hamburger buns. Clem LaChance sees me pulling out on RT.311 and flags me down. He wants to see all the ” upgrades” on the car. I pull into his drive way and he goes around the car and asks me what a Sunbeam is. He cracks ” does it mix drinks”?

So I invite him to hop in. I back out of the driveway onto 311 and head toward Rt 52 wide open. When I banged 2nd gear his seatback broke and he cracked his head on the car body. Almost knocked his butt out. He was impressed with the car.

It had 3:73 gears (Dana 44, same as Bronco front end) with open headers it ran best of 12.90 at Dover. Only made two passes as the remote oil filter blew out a gasket. Traded that car for the ’66 GT-350 out of Pawling.

Fred

bossguy

You left out the part about removing the steel shim head gaskets Fred. I still cringe thinking about that.

paul-ceasrine

Fred,
                You know those little Sunbeams were available with 4.56 gears in that Dana 44.
                And a dealer installed 780 Holley.
                One killer ‘street machine’
                I remember Clem ‘The Mad Frenchman’. He used to bring that Ford 6-cylinder head
                to my fathers shop all the time, to do a little fine-tuning on the ports.
                Didn’t know he was a ‘co-test driver’ too 😆
                Paul

fredrice
                    quote Paul Ceasrine:

Fred,
                    You know those little Sunbeams were available with 4.56 gears in that Dana 44.
                    And a dealer installed 780 Holley.
                    One killer ‘street machine’
                    I remember Clem ‘The Mad Frenchman’. He used to bring that Ford 6-cylinder head
                    to my fathers shop all the time, to do a little fine-tuning on the ports.
                    Didn’t know he was a ‘co-test driver’ too 😆
                    Paul

You are correct…..at the time when I was a kid the closest “dealer” was Long Island City Imports. I used to go over to LIC and look at them in the showrooom. DROOLING and DREAMING of the day I could own one. I haven’t seen Clem in quite some time….but hear about his escapades from Joe Huestis.
                    Fred

fredrice
                        quote bossguy:

You left out the part about removing the steel shim head gaskets Fred. I still cringe thinking about that.

Yeah that was one crazy evening at Brady-Stannard. If that Sheriffs Dept car hadn’t pulled up to the door at 2am I would have bled to death. 🙄 That shim gasket sliced my hand good. Just like a sharp knife. When you are a dumb kid in a rush,you just don’t THINK.
                        Through that and few other close calls (like flipping my straight axle 61 Falcon) I am still here….thank the LORD.

Fred

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.