THE Shelby Mustang- Dover Guy Connection

Forums Forums RACE TECH QUESTION FORUM THE Shelby Mustang- Dover Guy Connection

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    vindicator
    Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Paulie…”the closer…we get” to Big”s…national event class win verification…the better it feels…’eh 😆 😆 😆 wuz almost ready to put up one of the best friend’s I’ve had in this life…”Nazy Crate” (Nate Cohen) national win trophies…both “Wally”…and pre “Wally”…(’bout 20 or so)…when Nate died…Elaine insisted I have ’em…wuz’ gonna put one up to save Big’s honor 😆 😆 😆 Nate and Willie Hormerete…have been the two…very best “real friends”…I’ve had…in this life…both guys died way too young…I know/knew an awful lot of people…on this planet…a lot wanted to “hang out” with a young “cool dude” ‘eh…Nate & Willie were always…repeat always.. “there” for me…for all “times” 😀 😀 :D…only my dad…surpassed their loyalty & devotion to me…but “whoa’ nellie”…did I “pay the price”… 😆 😆 😆 took a “whoopin”… most everyday… 😆 😆 😆 …in the “end” though… we I-talian families…are way “special”…’eh…not ezee…but plenty “special” 😀 😀 😀 …Drake…p.s….ain’t a day goes by…that Nate & Willie aren’t in my thoughts…often…we go on…’cause…we have to..just always “dream” (daily) what might’ve been (they were both die-hard door car guys) 😀 😀 :D…in 1977…Willie wuz pretty “down”…in all ways..gave him our truck/SS-Thunderbolt often to go racin’ @ Island…he wuz supposed to drive/race it @ Englishtown-Summernats’ too…wuz there…but between heat/health couldn’t drive…there were 8 cars in SS/C…Jimmy Lovallo of Stamford..had a “rocket” (think he went a 10.17 on last time trial/cool morning…he had us all “covered” by a bunch) of a ’66-’67 big block Corvette (Charlie Tanner wuz with them)…but Jimmy broke the rear on a burn-out in 1st round of class…this “opened” the door…for us… 3 AMX’S Brian Rodkoff’s in rd 1…the NJ “Trans End car in rd 2…class final vs. Mike Withers (Ray Whinery’s X-factory car)…we were runnnig steady 10.40’s (in ugly-heat-July…of the day)…Mike hadn’t run better then a ’65…I wanted to win that deal…more then any funny car race or any other race…we ever had…for…”Wild Wilfred” (Willie)…knew it wasn’t lookin’ good for future…make our burnouts…shift rod falls off…only got 3rd-4th…stage it up…hope for red-light…didn’t happen…he runs a ’69 or’70…gets class win…agony…ecstasy…have had a Texas sized “share” of both (guess everybody does…but I always have been one lucky guy for sure 😆 😆 :lol:) …still eats at me (’77 Summers’) to this day…but…I &”Buzz”…were there that fateful Sunday morning…@ Sloan-Kettering (for Willie)…life’s “funny” ‘eh…year later…Nate’s there…25 years later…I “found” myself…there…but I’m still kickin’…”hoss”… 😀 😀 😀

paul-ceasrine

DRAKE,
            Positive Thoughts; The power of positive thinking can change or improve your life.

Yes, I remember Willie. Remember at the end,,kind-of-a-shock. He was working at
            Jay’s BP (Jefferson Valley Service). ‘Kandid Kamaro’ was not-in-service, and I think he
            was working on a 56′ Chevy (Big-block?) for C/G or D/G. Car was in one of Jay’s bays.
            Could pull 9000RPM Hole-Shots with the best-of-them 😮 A nice white 69′ Camaro in M/P.
            Willie Hormente is in the ‘Hudson Valley Hall of Fame’, with his accomplishments and
            name recognition with the ‘Kandid Kamaro’.
            Nazy Crate,, did not know,, but the name is a ‘Legend’.
            ‘BIG”;
            Eliminating years and class champs, one-by-one. Still think, Dick “BIG” Crawford
            may have done it at the 58’ Nationals. Won D/G class, and got out of there. Didn’t stick around for Little Eliminator. Heard he wanted to ‘get back East’, for some good ‘pasta’ 😀
            SS/C,,,now you went and done it. 69′ AMX’s,,Love those rockets. S & K with Bryan Higgins and Ernie Krieg, with a little help from Dennis Ferrara,,Gary Stowe out of Hicksville Rambler,,
            Flemington Rambler, which became ‘Trans-End’,, and the famous ‘Pete’s Patriot’ with Lou
            Downing driving the Nebraska-based car. My all-time favorites, ‘Cotton Candy’ and the lady
            Shirley Shahan ‘Drag-On-Lady’.
            An original 69′ AMX engine came through my Pop’s shop (76’/77′) complete with ‘Crane’
            868X heads. A thing of beauty. Man could those AMX’s get the front wheels up… 😀
            Paul…How about an AMC Marlin?? 😆

vindicator
            Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Paulie…U…be right…just got home…an ol’ buddy…Paul Adams (West Virginia) is in “town” for Z-Max Nationals…he’s got the baddest Ford Thunderbolt…in the whole wide world…it’s SS/B…qualified @ 8.90…”think” #4 or 5 qualifier in SS…promptly blew it up in class final…he is the current class NHRA National record holder too…has very successful trucking company in home state… 71 years “young”…livin’ the “dream”..not to “worry”…he’s got plenty back-up “stuff” at home…for this $250,000…Super Stock car..but for this event…it’s over…but hey…the sun will…come out tomorrow ‘eh 😆 😆 😆 …had a “pizza” together…what’s West Virginia Guy…named Adams…know ’bout pizza???!!!*** (or the state of North Carolina either)…Willie…or Nate…don’t/never did… need nobodys’ “Hall of Fame”…for the most part…it’s all about “political posturing”…and neither of these two “coyotes”…(men…amongst men)…”played”…much “politics”…more like…what ya’ see…is what ya’ get “hoss” 😆 😆 😆 …U…get the idea…:D 😀 😀 …don’t “think” “Big”would know a “good”…I-TALIAN meal…outside of Olive Garden (?)…the last name is Crawford (did drink a lotta’ coffee)…’eh…I might have another “source” (geez…thought…U…wuz’ the “source” 😆 😆 :lol:) to get the info on early Nationals/Big…after weekend..will get after it…heading up Michigan/Indiana early next week for “Cactus”…see what I can come up with…. 😀 😀 😀 Drake

paul-ceasrine

DRAKE,
                    That guys “71”,, and going 8.90’s 😮
                    I heard that is ‘illegal’ in some states 😆
                    Only a $250,000 S/S car! (Thats a quarter million dollars). About what a yearly insurane ‘premium’ will cost, after MS. NANCY (‘Where’s my Botox Injection’) PELOSI gets done with this ‘health care fiasco’…A FANABLA!!
                    Yes, I would agree, a man with the last name ‘Crawford’ would not know a good
                    ‘EYE’ talian meal., ‘if it hit him in the — 🙄 ‘
                    🙁 Long gone are the days, when you could drive out on Route 301, head down
                    Bullet Hole Road, and find someones 63′ 383 Plymouth or 63’ 390 Ford Galaxie for
                    $350,, throw on a set of headers, 4.10 gears, a set of used 7″ slicks,,run G/SA,,
                    and “HAVE FUN” win-or-lose.
                    Paulie

dino
                    Keymaster

Weren’t we talkin about Shelbys ?

paul-ceasrine

Comandante Dino,,,,
                            Yes,,,we went ‘off the rails’ a bit 😆
                            Just got a report from my father in ‘The Sandhills’
                            A member of the Sandhills Car Club has a beautiful mint 67′ GT350 with a 427.
                            Black, with dual white stripes. An ‘awesome’ restoration..
                            Going price $145,000..
                            Now Thats a Shelby GT. 😀
                            Paul

bossguy

Paul, if its a FE block it’s a GT500 😀 That means you’re OFF TOPIC AGAIN LOL 😆

dino
                                Keymaster

Hertz didn’t ever rent out anything but 350’s ? Theyr’e doing it again Right?

paul-ceasrine

BOSSGUY,
                                        Every time I post something on this Shelby thread, I feel like ‘Sonny Corleone’
                                        at the ‘toll booth scene’ in ‘THE GODFATHER’ 😆
                                        The only thing my father passed on to me was, a ‘Cobra’ aluminum-finned oil pan
                                        on the 67′ GT500 ‘427’.
                                        I guess very rare, and 410HP.
                                        Maybe I should stick to something a little ‘easier’,,1965 Sunbeam ‘Tiger’ 😆
                                        Of course they had those stable ‘front-ends’ 😮
                                        Paul,,,’Look what they did to my boy’…..Who said that??

bossguy

Hey Paulie, the Sunbeam Tiger was good enough for Maxwell Smart wasn’t it?

paul-ceasrine

BOSSGUY,
                                                Thats ‘Agent 86’ ,,,,,and the classic ‘Shoe Phone’ 😆
                                                Of course, not to many people know that the 65′ Sunbeam Tiger with the 260 Ford engine,
                                                with the ‘LAT’ Hi-Po upgrade could run dead-on 13.00’s in 1965.. 😮
                                                That would have made it a ‘Killer Car’,,,watch out ‘Ray Allen’ 😀
                                                Paul,,,

bossguy

Fred Rice had a Tiger at Dover. Maybe he’ll share memories with us.

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Hey John…Any stories of Rented & raced on sunday ,then in for Repairs on Monday?

bossguy

I never worked at a Shelby dealer so I have no experience with that part. I have seen the Mustangs come in with headers, traction bars etc. If he bought it from us and wasn’t an obnoxious jerk we would have covered it under warranty. Obnoxious, jerks, “sorry, you’ve voided your warranty”. That still goes on today with “Chips” and the like. Ford actually has pictures online for where to look and how to recognize modifications.

paul-ceasrine

BOSSGUY,
                                                                Just had to throw this one in.
                                                                The 1965 Sunbeam could get an “LAT” #19 option from the dealer.
                                                                A Holley #C4AF-9510-DA Holley Carburetor. Same carb that was mounted on the
                                                                1964 1/2 (427ci) cars.. What the hell was the CFM-rating on that.
                                                                That carb on a 260ci,,,,,,must have washed out some piston-rings.
                                                                Wonder if that was covered under a ‘Warranty’.. 😆 😆
                                                                I’m going Ford this month 😉 ,,,,Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.