M & M Speed & Custom checking in

Forums Forums SPEED SHOPS from Dover’s past M & M Speed & Custom checking in

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

You Remember ….2 stores …Duchess Turnpike in Poughkeepsie and Rt.9w in Kingston. Home of “Mr Ed” Mopar! Had their famous “Friday Sales ” at both stores. Supported a lot of Hudson Valley racers and regulars at Dover.

storm-king

Cool. I think Tony Chickery drove a 68 Hemi Dart out of M&M

dino
            Keymaster

Correct ! ODF Galley scores again! Kathy V. collection:

Attachments:

m-amp-m-speed-amp-custom

Hi guys, you too Dino! Long time. I met someone at a car show (JJ) in Florida who had a Dover Drag Strip T-Shirt on, needless to say I flipped we spent sometime talking about Dover and you Dino, he gave me your web site, GLADE he did! Anyway M & M is still pedaling parts, now in Florida (Ft, Lauderdale 24 yrs.) mostly G-Body new & used and some speed parts @ good prices. I see you have a picture of the Dart on the top of your home page and one in our page, thanks for remembering us. Dover and all you were so much of our lives growing up (not that anyone has). I have some pics I will dig out and send to you.
                    Anyone wanting to contact us can by e-mail @ http://www.mmspeedcustom@aol.com or phone 1-888-327-0454 also visit our web site @ http://www.mandmspeed.com (not completed yet,don’t leave mail there).
                    Thanks so much Dino for doing this I’m sure everyone must feel the same and if we can help in anyway just let me know. Rich Marchese, M&M Speed and Custom
                    PS: Sorry to say Tony (Chick) Chickery aka Mr Ed has passed away of cancer, I know he would love to be remembered on your site!

dino
                    Keymaster

Rich ….Welcome…We have a heading JUST FOR Forum Business News !!! post what ya want …Lot to see at old DDS.com , grab a bag of chips and start browsing….over 2000 photos in ODF Galleries …make sure you’re logged in to access everything in “Multi-media ” section (Bottom of index page) tons of submitted photos , the ‘Chronicals” and ALL the Videos . Mentioned Photos you have…always looking for FILM …all that info at” Big Video -Search ” heading.

Here’s Richs’ “Ride” 😯 …couldn’t resist showing you guys (Lifted it from his website)…Will that bad-boy handle the trip to New Jersey ? Ahhh …we’re having “A Little Race -Oct 18″….SEE: Dover Drag Strip Nostalgia Drags !

Attachments:

dino
                        Keymaster

Just found this in a Cool batch of Photos sent in by Linda Scinto ! Back of Time Slip …1972

Attachments:

dino
                            Keymaster

Found this in the “vault” Dover program flyer for 1974 Funny-Money day

Attachments:

dino
                                Keymaster

…..Related ….same Dover Program ’74

Attachments:

storm-king

We’ve been real busy lately, but Bill (stormking2) has a great Tony chickery story. We were running him for the eliminator title one sunday, and it started to rain. They decided to run the cars anyway. Try THAT today! anyway; Tony was sharp enough to short shift his car to pull the motor down to hook up, and Bill spun. Tony beat him. Tony picked up his winnings and came over to Bill and handed him half! He made some comment like, “that was’t a real race” or “we’ll race again ” or something to that effect. He was a class act. We broke something one day and Tony sent his crew back to his shop to get us parts to run. he was one of the best. we were very sorry to hear of his passing; we were hoping to see him again.
                                        I’m sure I’ve got Tony’s words wrong. I’ll try ot get Bill on here with the real story.

m-amp-m-speed-amp-custom

Got a great Dino Chickery Story, Dino might rembember. The Dart was painted three colors, base color was white, right side (pass) white w/red hightlights & driver side white w/blue, well Dino always being in the tower only saw one side of the car (pass) well one day someone let him out of the tower, he came down to the pits and was bs’n with us and was on the driver side of the car he relized it was a different color and said I didn’t know you guys have two of these cars!! We always loved u Dino.
                                            M&M

dino
                                            Keymaster

“let Me out of the Tower” ?…Yeah …I was kinda chained to mic all day.

storm-king

Bill just reminded me that we met Tony when he worked at Jocko’s speed shop on Broadway in Newburgh. Anybody remember Jocko’s?

bossguy

Jockos was on Rt 9 in Poughkeepsie near Central Hudson as long as I remember. I moved to Dutchess in 75. The row of stores he was part of burned to the ground a few years ago. Just a strip of concrete with for sale signs on it now. He might still be living in Millbrook.

paul-ceasrine

M & M Speed & Custom,

Wasn’t your shop at the beginning of Route 44/Dutchess Turnpike, as you headed out of
                                                            eastern Poughkeepsie. heading towards Pleasant Valley.
                                                            Your shop was near Dutchess Recreational Vehicle.
                                                            My fathers racing partner who lived in Lake Carmel, would bounce back and forth between your shop and Tony Hay’s International Hayloft (Rt 22 in Southeast), to see where he could get
                                                            the best price for speed equipment. Of course thats back in the day when you could drive around all day for about $3.00.
                                                            Your shop had the best logo design of anyone. Looked awesome on Tony Chickery’s car.
                                                            Didn’t your shop also have a name on a white 69′ Camaro “Crazy Camaro”, and a red
                                                            68′ Firebird out of Tivoli (north of you), named “Little Red Riding Hood”.

Paul

paul-ceasrine

Storm King,

Broadway Auto Parts was the name of the parts store/shop in Newburgh. Forgot to
                                                                mention that I was a rep selling engine rebuilding equipment to all southern New York shops
                                                                from 79′ thru 85′, as well as engine parts from Crest Engine, Flushing Queens, and
                                                                American Speed out of L.I. (remember them). Many shops got hurt a bit when Dover closed,
                                                                then they made a comeback in the early 80’s. I’m out of the area, but there aren’t too many good quality shops around in that area now.
                                                                Gary, what was the name of that nice shop in Salisbury Mills. I sold him some equipment, back in 80′ or 81′, and he invited me to Sunday Brunch at Hotel Thayer. Also, some nice people
                                                                at Brake and Clutch in New Windsor. Ooh! Did they like to buy equipment. Nice commission
                                                                checks.
                                                                Hey M & M, I think you bought something from me. I know Dutchess Recreational did, as well as that big auto wrecker guy out on Route 44.
                                                                As for Jocko’s (see Dino, like I said before’ “You open one Dover door, and you enter a
                                                                maze of doors”). There place was on Route 9, South Avenue. They had a big billboard
                                                                sign on Route 9 as you headed north, near their place. Anyone remember their black
                                                                67′ GTX 440 (with the small and narrow factory scoops on the hood). Ran SS/F ($). Black paint,
                                                                Cragars and “Jocko’s” lettered on the side. Always snuck into the hot pits. Weren’t the hot pits reserved for SS/A to SS/E only Dino ❓ Car ran 11.80’s. Not too bad.….See New Heading for Speed Shops !…[edit-dino]
                                                                More Dover tales to come. Photo’s, photo’s.

Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 175 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.