Mikey’s WILLYS

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Mikey’s WILLYS

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

by mikey on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:41 am

Towed the car to Tom Blakes house on Thursday, checked over the electronics, and found a lot of things not working, looks like wiring problems. The rev limiter does work, and that’s important. We both towed to Bradenton and each made some passes, really doing the test and tune. Tom just changed the converter in his car, and was experimenting with different launch RPMs and shift points. Car runs in the very low 11s right now, 11.30 to 40, and should see the 10s real soon. I was able to make two passes, my first down a 1/4 mile in over 30 yrs, jeez, seems like forever. First pass was a foot brake pass, I screwed up with the trans brake. Ran 11.31, and was very easy on the car. Funny, after running on the 1/8 mile a few times, that 1/4 sure looks long. Second pass was much better, used the trans brake, launched at 4500, short shifted it, but made a decent run, 10.82. I’m really pleased with my progress so far, and I think the car will be really fast when I get my stuff together. Oh, also met Toms wife Mary, also a racer, and a good one with several wins in different cars, even a wheel standing roadster. Tom needs to post some pics of those cars. Met his son-in-law Dennis, very nice guy, excellent spotter. See’s things and notices stuff that you sometimes don’t think about, very nice guy and a big help to me all day. I had a great time, and met some really nice people, it does not get better than that. Thanks Tom, Mary, and Dennis, you guys were great. …………………Mikey

mikey
            quote dinotheweirdo:

Towed the car to Tom Blakes house on Thursday, checked over the electronics, and found a lot of things not working, looks like wiring problems. The rev limiter does work, and that’s important. We both towed to Bradenton and each made some passes, really doing the test and tune. Tom just changed the converter in his car, and was experimenting with different launch RPMs and shift points. Car runs in the very low 11s right now, 11.30 to 40, and should see the 10s real soon. I was able to make two passes, my first down a 1/4 mile in over 30 yrs, jeez, seems like forever. First pass was a foot brake pass, I screwed up with the trans brake. Ran 11.31, and was very easy on the car. Funny, after running on the 1/8 mile a few times, that 1/4 sure looks long. Second pass was much better, used the trans brake, launched at 4500, short shifted it, but made a decent run, 10.82. I’m really pleased with my progress so far, and I think the car will be really fast when I get my stuff together. Oh, also met Toms wife Mary, also a racer, and a good one with several wins in different cars, even a wheel standing roadster. Tom needs to post some pics of those cars. Met his son-in-law Dennis, very nice guy, excellent spotter. See’s things and notices stuff that you sometimes don’t think about, very nice guy and a big help to me all day. I had a great time, and met some really nice people, it does not get better than that. Thanks Tom, Mary, and Dennis, you guys were great. …………………Mikey

I shifted at 6000, instead of 6500, ergo, “short shifted”.

dino
            Keymaster

This might not be the place BUT …I used to “POWER SHIFT” …Never took my foot OFF the Gas -just punched the clutch. Did in a few trannys and rears ….but when it worked …I was a hero .Not Good ?

maso
                Participant
                    quote dinotheweirdo:

Towed the car to Tom Blakes house on Thursday… Oh, also met Toms wife Mary, also a racer, and a good one with several wins in different cars, even a wheel standing roadster. Tom needs to post some pics of those cars…Mikey

Oh… he did that…!

See…???

dino
                    Keymaster

Mary…Love the hair

dino
                        Keymaster

It’s Officially “Papa’s Toy now ! And a member of the M&M racing Team! .I lettered it in the pits.Should be funny seeing what will look like two cars …unlettered Sat ….and WA-LA looking like a Race car Sun. Just as I Finished …someone says behind my back…”not bad” I turn around and there’s the Jersey Air brush lettering KING – “Mr.J” with his side kick…equally talented “East Coast Artie” Hey …my mentor was Mr’J’…he lettered the Jungle Jim cars and alll the cool stuff back then and Still does. Good to see my “‘brothers of the Brush” ! Tomato Head got a shot of all three of us Kool Man. Just some of the great stuff that was happening.

maso
                            Participant
                                quote dinotheweirdo:

…and WA-LA …

No…no…
                                That’s s’pose to be spelled… ” Viola ” ( French… y’know… ) 😉
                                ………….Not in the Bronx! 😆 {dino}

mikey

As most of you may know, I’ve had several different problems with the Willy’s, and have been fixing things and modifying things since day one. The “last Straw”, was when I towed all the way to, Island, and the car fell on its face. A shorted battery that wouldn’t hold a charge, some bad fuel, my fault, and some seriously nasty wiring problems. I think that I’ve got all of these problems corrected now, and hopefully the next time I go to the track I will be able to go fast, finally. The car has so much potential, it really bothers me that I’ve had the car this long and still have not made a decent pass. I’m going to put some pics on this post of the wiring job finally finished. I think the pics are OK, but I’m sure you guys will let me know.
                                    …………………Mikey 😆

Attachments:

mikey

Only lets me post 5 at a time. Dino, you need to fix this. …………Mikey 😆
                                        ………………Post -Submit -edit post -submit-edit …can do that all day,didn’t design softwear[Dino}

Attachments:

mikey

A couple more. ………….Mikey 😆

Attachments:

tomblake
                                            Participant

mikey….Looking better, when you going testing?
                                                Made some changes to the Mustang and was going to test tomorrow but found out the Snowbird Nationals start Thursday and run through the weekend. So Bradenton next Thursday if the weather is good.
                                                Good luck with your car.
                                                I was talking to a racer I haven’t seen in many years last week. He has been to a lot of tracks in Florida. He runs a high 8 second Nova and he has run both tracks, Lakeland and the one close to you.
                                                We got to talking about the Lakeland track vs. the track close to you. I told him I didn’t like Lakeland because of it being short. He told me the track near you is 200′ shorter than Lakeland. So if your not having trouble stopping at your track the Lakeland track would be good for your car also. Both tracks are 1/8 mile tracks.

mikey

I will test the car out at CFRC, and if it does Ok, I’ll get a hold of you and maybe we could go to Lakeland. Bradenton is just too far to drive for me all in one day. For me to go to Bradenton, and meet you there will take me about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. I can take the car down to M&M, run County Line Dragway, and stay over a M&M, and run the following night too. Lots of options. I’ll see how it goes up here first. May be next week, if I have the money. …..Mikey 😆

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Mikey …This is a classic shot ! 😆 NOW we know your frustration!

Attachments:

mikey
                                                            quote dinotheweirdo:

Mikey …This is a classic shot ! 😆 NOW we know your frustration!

Dino, you have no idea. That crap would give an EXCEDRIN A HEADACHE!!!!! 😮 😯 😥

gramdog1
                                                            Participant

Mikey,get Tomato or Pat,looks like Technicolor Spaghetti. 😆 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.