STORM KING MEMORIES / BLACK ARROW Mysteries

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR STORM KING MEMORIES / BLACK ARROW Mysteries

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    jackman
    Participant

Geeze I thought I knew every Mopar in town but never heard about your Hemi’s and Wedges probly the timing and that I lived in the village. One family of Mopar people I knew of was right across 9W from laurel street , the Ianollas had a 68 Charger 440, 69 Dart 340 and a 70 Challenger 383, I had talked a bit with them they had the nice cars mine were projects.. Back to the Arrow car I know exactly where you speak the road is either Hess Rd or Old 32 , I also think I know which house too as I drove every Cornwall street for 13 years as a fuel oil truck driver up to 2002,,,,,, on the dirt section of the road there was a house on the right side that had lots of stuff sitting around including a old race car I had stopped several times and looked at it from the road it did not look at all like a Mopar , I thought it was an old dirt track stock car …… Thanks for the reply its Cool to hear from someone that lived in the town back in the day, next chance I get I will scout out the Old 32 Hess road area…

BTW Here is another old Mopar story that I spotted back in 84 in Newburg there was two a 69 1/2 A12 Super Bee’s , on the sides of both cars in big lettering it said (“KILLER BEE’S”) I spotted them sitting under some trees covered with sap and not used in years a knock on the door and the owner came out and told me they were old race cars that he would fix up again some day he was the original owner,,,,,, thought that might be some one you new from Dover

storm-king

Ianollas were my Dad’s “other kids” when my brother and I moved out of state. Dad sold them most of our old Mopar stuff before he and Mom moved to Tennesse where Bill could keep a better eye on them. I knew Richie Ianolla pretty well, his brothers not so much. One was a doper, and I didn’t hang with dopers. I know one of them went to prison, one of them committed suicide. Might have been the same one, I don’t know. I remember Richie had a ’68 or ’69 Charger, dark green. I always thought they were a bunch of dweebs to be honest, but back then I didn’t think about how other kids didn’t have Dad’s that were into building Big Block and hemi race cars. I was very fortunate, in many ways; but didn’t always realize it.
            Funny story, they always bragged about how fast one of the brother’s Dart was. They said it ran in the twelves. So this one day my Dad dropped something off at their hose just as they were heading up to Newburgh. It happened that my Dad was going to Newburgh as well. They both got out on 9W and Ianollas took off with the Dart. My dad ran them down (very quickly) and just sat on their bumper, easing on and off it toying with them. My friend Kevin Quigley (funeral home owner in Cornwall, and town Supervisor these days) was with them and said you’d thought someone died they were so disappointed that the Dart couldn’t outrun Dad’s work car ( which was a 440 GTX, but it was used for mechanical repairs on construction equipment,and in the trunk was a complete master mechanics set of tools, from ignition up to and including a 3/4 inch rachet set. It had extra leafs on both springs and probably carried 1,000 lbs of extra weight.
            Next time Dad saw them he told them the only way that Dart could run 12’s was if you pushed it off a cliff! He was quick witted, and if that wasn’t enough, he was also a former Golden Gloves boxer.

jackman
            Participant

Yea back in the day there was a lot of talk about the 12 second Dart but I never saw it run, they was a rough group any way so not anyone I really knew we just had the same taste for Mopars. Your friend Kevin or may be his brother Pat was one of my oil stops , he had or has a real nice Buick GS convertible got talking cars with him one day come to find out the car was complete minus the dual horn air cleaner that ducted thru the hood, was real strange cause I have nothing but Mopar stuff with the exception of that particular Buick air cleaner that I picked up some where,,,,,, its on his car now.

Still amazed that I did not know about you guys up on Laurel ave, Ive always been on the look out for the Mopar muscle cars, in fact my Mother worked at the hospital and I used to drive her home right up and down Laurel and never saw the cars……..

on 9W south just after the fork for 94 on the right, back in the day was a a 68 or 69 Hemi Charger, it was green and mint supposedly never streeted just track time,, years back I was reading a magazine and found a pic of Don Garlits standing next to his newly aquired Hemi Charger he said the heading that the car hailed from Newburg N.Y.,,,,,,,, I bet that is the same car I remember seeing, it now in his musem in Florida.

storm-king

There’s another New Windsor/ Newburgh resident that had a car on display at “Big Daddy’s” for some time. Peter Poli lived right on 9W just as you got to the big cemetary on the west side of 9W. He had an original Red ’68 Hemi Coronet R/T he occasionally ran. He was a knife sharpener by trade; the car was called “El Cortello” (The Knife) it only had a few thousand original miles, was absolutely babied, and I guess when Pete retired he moved to FLa. (doesn’t almost EVERY N.Y.’er?) and let Garlits display it for some time. Last time I was at Garlits’ place it was no longer there, and “Big” was busy so I didn’t bother him to ask where it went.

jackman
                    Participant

Yes that was his name Poli, my employer at the time 1985 Pat of Jim Moroney’s cycle was friends with Pete he took me to that house to show me the car but the person that answered the door said Pete went to fla and so did the car, bummer I never did see that car up close, funny the memory thing as to me it was a green Charger but know I am like yea yea thats right it was a red Coronet 😆 …… since ya know the area I’ll post later about another Hemi car from Ducktown, might be a big bs story but may be it was for real , right now I got go…….

jackman
                        Participant

Here’s a story that probly was bs but may be not ,,,,,,,, I worked a Jim Moroneys Cycle shop was a hard place for a Mopar guy as every one there was Chevy, they had Camaros , el caminos chevelles and of course corvettes and a 3 duece GTOI took the brunt of a lot of jokes , but anyway the service manager a well manner likable honest guy by the name of Steve told me that back in the 70’s over in Ducktown there was a guy he knew that had a 69 Charger 500 , Hemi he told me that they had so much trouble making the Hemi run right that they took the Hemi out and tossed it over the embankment at Ephieny college in New Windsor, after that they dropped a 440 in it,,,,,,,,, I know that sounds like total bull but the service manager Steve was not at all a teller of tall tales even as a joke it just was not his way,,,,,,,,,, so just a real loooooong shot here but did ya ever hear of such a thing happening back in the 70’s……. This is almost too rediculous to post but I guess it could possibly be true……

dino
                            Keymaster

Thought I’d throw this in to break up the story (Just got From Bruce Hertel-Oregon …Classic shot -never seen),Nice crowd! :

Attachments:

storm-king

Interesting shot there. Yet another variation on the lettering for the ‘Arrow? It looks like it says Burgess & Spiedel on the door above the arrow.

those cars were just so CLEAN back then. Compare to the tarted up decal ridden cars of today; they are so much clenaer.

jackman
                                    Participant

Thats a nice pic 😎 ,,,,,,,,, Looks like Dover drew a nice size crowd too.

dino
                                        Keymaster

Photo looks like same configuration of lettering as shot in “Visitors Gallery”-(link homepage)

storm-king

Here is a shot of my brother Bill and Doc Burgess the day we bought the car in front of doc’s home. We flat towed the car (on it’s race slicks) all the way back to Cornwall!

Attachments:

storm-king

Same deal; the day we bouoght the ‘Arrow. That’s my Dad, known around Dover as “the Nervous Man”; hitching it up to Mom’s ’67 GTX (Hey Storm Click on this—-> http://doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=366&hilit=doc+burgess )…edit Dino

Attachments:

storm-king

First week out with the former ‘Arrow. Mom wanted us to look nice and so she got us crew uniforms before very many crews had uniforms. Jeans and light shirts on saturday, white pants and blue tee shirts on Sundays. She bought wind brakers and had to order Plymouth service patches so she could put a brand logo on the pocket. Imagine that Today with all the crap they put on clothes!

Attachments:

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Ah -young Bill….And a trophy Too….Great shot ,never saw… this is the car that got crushed …Right? then a Clone built by you guys for Doc and we don’t know where that is. Short Readers Digest condensed 😆 update there

storm-king

The clone we built for doc is the car the guy that’s on this website has had for twenty years or something. The original, yes, the one in this picture; gone. The “Tribute” car that’s out there is just that, just a ’65 Plymouth painted to look like the ‘Arrow. It’s really not that hard! 😆
                                                                Opps, I see a couple of these have been posted somewhere else. Sorry.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 107 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.