STORM KING MEMORIES / BLACK ARROW Mysteries

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR STORM KING MEMORIES / BLACK ARROW Mysteries

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    cullyflower

Storm King is that the clone that has Bill Jenkins name on the door instead of Docs ?

storm-king

The TRIBUTE car has Jenkins name on it. It is just some ’65 Plymouth; I don’t know if it was ever an original 990 car, that is done in the original “Black Arrow” livery.
            Our clone is in a garage in Conn. somewhere.

cullyflower
                quote storm king:

The TRIBUTE car has Jenkins name on it. It is just some ’65 Plymouth; I don’t know if it was ever an original 990 car, that is done in the original “Black Arrow” livery.
                Our clone is in a garage in Conn. somewhere.

Storm king When I saw the “Tribute” car with Jenkins name on the door I stopped looked at it thinking that is a lot
                of B.S. Just then a dad and his two boys walk up and dad explains how this is the only non GM car that
                Jenkins owned. I am standing there listening deciding whether dad needs to be humiliated for lying to
                his kids. Dad got to walk away with the kids thinking he knows what he is talking about. This all is
                before this site. Now the truth is out there you guys are the real deal and have the pictures to prove it.

storm-king

Several years back I was talking to Doc on the phone and the subject was how through the years, and prevalent at that time, everyone called the car “Jenkins”. That’s been corrected in a few places, but not nearly enough. Doc bought the car new from none other than Bud Faubel of “Honker” fame. As I recall it was delivered directly to Jenkins shop to be made into a serious race car. Jenkins even took the liberty of naming the car. The name “Black Arrow” was actually originally Jenkins’ father’s boats’ name. So Jenkins certainly played an integral part of the cars’ fame. In that first year, Jenkins would drive the car at events that Doc couldn’t attend due to his successful veterinary practice. My brother Bill still has either the original window sticker off the ‘Arrow, or the original Bill of sale, or maybe both, I forget. He can better tell you that. He lurks here quite a bit, posts far less often. Funny thing is he’s usually sitting about 20 feet from me while I write this stuff; and he’s sitting there reading it.

It seemed to me that a lot of the Mopar community was hungry to have some association with Jenkins. Heck, they had it with Strickler and Faubel before Doc. I don’t get it. I think you did the right thing by being quiet; and letting that guy be the knowledgable hero to his sons!

dino
                    Keymaster

GOT THIS E-MAIL….LATEST …”ON The ARROW CLONE”
                        Hey, sorry I havn’t been on lately. I have been really busy with school, and my dad is not the best with a computer. I will try to get some pics asap, but the weather hasn’t been the best lately. It is also currently stored inside an enclosed trailer, that is FULL of other things so some shots would be difficult to get. When the weather gets a little nicer I will help my dad pull it out and take some detailed pics of the interior, engine bay, trunk, etc. I will try to get some pics within the next month. Tim.

dino
                        Keymaster

New found “Storm King Team Shot “all the way From Doug in Canada ! thats the Former Black Arrow on theTrailer.

Attachments:

bobby-s

that brings back a lot of memories for sure,
                                the Tri Five site in the race car section
                                has a lot more from the area
                                I got half way through the 900+ pics
                                in that section only.

storm-king

Heck I coulda given you that one, Dino! That’s taken at our home in cornwall, N.Y. Bill standing next to the ‘Arrow, me at the Max Wedge. Canada, huh? Boy these things get around!

bossguy

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2447624290082607023cHnVCx
                                        Plymouth ad featuring Black arrow at Winternationals with Jenkins driving. From that great website that jrstk showed us

paul-ceasrine

Storm King,

Didn’t Doc park the clone car out in front of a gas station or lodge on the right side of
                                            Rt. 22 (heading north) in Wingdale. Talked to my friend Neil last night, and he remembers
                                            the car was painted (kind of biege or creamy yellow). On Sundays, heading to Dover we would drive by with the car parked there. And we left, it was still parked in the same spot. Never could figure out why the car wasn’t brought up to the track. Maybe 69′ or 70′.
                                            Now the story is out, it was the clone car, not the original.

Confused, or am I correct ❓

storm-king

I don’t know about that, but the color you describe is right. I’ve got a picture of it somewhere sitting on our trailer right after my brother’s former partner, Richie Walsh, bought the car back from Doc.
                                                I’ll tell you a little story, Doc came to Bill and said he wanted to buy the car just to show the kids who came around him trying to impress him with how fast their Camaros were, what a fast car was. He said one kid took him for a ride in his Camaro to show Doc how fast it was and he had an aftermarket oil pressure gauge sitting loose on top of the dash board. When the kid punched it, the gauge didn’t even slide off the dash! Now, if you’ve never ridden in a max wedge or hemi car…that gauge would have been in the rear parcel tray. But Doc had no intention of racing that car when he bought it back. I suspect he tired of it, you know, he had great memories of racing; knows he loved the car, but other things in life were likely taking more priority or positions of importance. Just like most of us.
                                                For me it was the ridiculous rules structure changes, and of course the B.S. “Factoring” of hemi cars at NHRA that drove me away. What can I say; I like cubic inch to weight straight across the board. With today;s insane number of engine combos, I’ll never race NHRA again. I’ll be found at Goodguys or HAMB drags with vintage iron heads and old speed parts, narrow tires, and running close to the ET’s and speeds we ran in the old days.

dino
                                                Keymaster

Just Thought I’d Bump this Up for the Black Arrow Fans… Gotta look at ALL the pages in All the Headings ..Lots Of stuff Buried here !

storm-king-2

Dino,
                                                        My mother used to drive the max wedge car to do her grocery shopping. She also ran time trials in it after eliminationns were over. Mid 12’s usually with her foot on the brake. She didn’t drive it anymore after she got her 440 GTX.
                                                        Bill

jackman
                                                        Participant

Storm King I has a New York plate 😮 , was it street driven too?

storm-king-2

Almost every week. Thats the one my mother used to go shopping in. My aunt once asked her why she had her foot on the gas & the brake at the same time. Mom told her I’m not touching the gas.(1200 RPM idle) Jackman, you know the 5 corners there in Vails Gate ?
                                                                Mom was sitting there at the stoplight waiting for the light to change. It had been misting rain. The brakes wouldn’t hold the rear tires, they would shudder & do about a 1/4 turn, stop, shudder, turn & so on. Before the light changed she was sitting about 10 or 15 degrees sideways in her lane. It was kind of hairy in the wet, those old eliminater street tires didn’t do to good in the rain. It also had the manual shift valve body.
                                                                Bill

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 107 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.