STORMVILLE AIRPORT CONCEPT who knows ???

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION STORMVILLE AIRPORT CONCEPT who knows ???

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    bugboy

i dont think it could happen.theres to many houses there now and thay all would complain about the noise. I grew up in east fishkill and the people there are really set with there qualty of life. Let me throw a idea out there. The old Dover drag strip is dug up but still remains some of the shut down area. most of the people of dover remebers the track and it is a historical site to most there. Well my idea is why don’t we get the strip built agen. it is posible.its dug out but still level and clear. not to many more houses have bin built in the area. there are alot of drag racers in the area looking for a strip and we might be able to get the property of the old strip to become a historical site and then go to the state to help. it is posible becarse NY state welcomes race tracks. It’s the town ships that try to shoot it down.I really think it could happen. what would be a better place for a reunion then the origianal place . does any one want to try?????????????

bugboy
            quote Ron Genovese:

Hi, This is my first post here. I probably should have checked in as a new member first, but this caught my attention.
            I’m liking this idea! Does anyone know the condition of the pavement? I’d imagine that it hasn’t had much maintenance.
            I guess first things first – find out if the owner would be open to this, then it would probably need to go through the planning board who will bring it to the attention of land owners in that town. If there is little opposition it may fly. They can’t complain about the excess traffic, since it wouldn’t exceed the flee market traffic. Noise would be the big obsticle.

I drove a flat bed down the run way last winter and it would need alot of work for racing. alot of cracks and dips. maybe cars running slower then 13.0

tomatohead
            Participant

Dino that othet “airport” your thinking about was on the way to Croton Dam it was on the left and was paved. It was a landing strip and I guess the story went that one plane didnt make it and that was the end of there usage I haerd the plane is still down there in the resivoer, we use to cut out from Somers school and go race $$$ guys from Yorktown and Peekskill there I made more money there then working at Caldors in Mt.Kisco I learned of the spot from some hot rod guys we met when we went to Boces Auto class anyway thats all turned into houses now ………………………………………………………………………….tomato

robert

Hey Tomatohead, Upstairs Bob here. Thumbs up on the Stormville arial photos! Really good shots.

mr-shine

This could really be nostalgic – Stormville Flea Market/Airport has no bathroom facilities – just porta potties.
                        Kind of like the early days at Dover.
                        Remember when there were just oversized “outhouses” ?

“Mr-Shine”

tomblake
                        Participant

I remember those days of the old outhouses. Not very nice but would go back if the drag strip was there.

jimv

There was a bunch of guys up here in the RI area that had 1/8 mile drags at Quainsettpoint awhile back, think it was ‘NE christmas tree or timing tree” something like that.It was pretty cool but as soon as the town found out people where having fun they closed it down!!they tried to get a strip put in the boonies of Richmond, RI off exit 4 on 95 , in the middle of a gravel bank & the towns people shot it down, bbunch of idiots, wasn’t going to hurt anything, they where even going to use the gravel they dug up to make 15 ft , birms the length of the track to keep the noise down, plant trees, pay for the cops , & rebuild the roads going to the track!!
                                They use to run motocross between stormville airport & the prison so nosie might not be too much of a issue.
                                Best thing to do is go knock on doors & go to a town meeting, lotta “yuppies” up there now & there not too tolerable of things.I do know someone who lives up the street from there so maybe they could go to the meeting to propose the question.i could ask.
                                i think 1/8 mile is the way to go, cars doing 80-100 are easier to get by then cars doing 100-180mph!!lol
                                My 2 cents
                                JimV

dino
                                Keymaster

WOW !…..Hit a nerve here …Huh? Lets recap the fantastic response AND issues that have surfaced.
                                    ONE….We have (All) “preconcieved” THAT Nothing could be done at the old location …So WE took off in a differant directions….some good …some marginal …and details still coming in.
                                    …………Lets Look at that, Some ,up to now silent Forum members, have noted really wise input.. The new owner has never been approuched with a proposal.! Why ? there wasn’t one .So ….He should BE at the Dover-Fest…and Have Some Kind of Plan presernted to him ………….If you show that its Profitable , Safe, Has public support, Expenses are covered (Grants-sponsors -volunteer-profitable Business plan) then, All options for negitive responce have been addressed …and he’s the hero …….Thats Business …WE have some Very successful business Talent here with 227 on the Forum . Thats Step ONE …Once that ( OLD LOCATION) Has been totally eliminated from consideration…THEN we go to NEXT OPTION …another location …And Start all over with the process of logistics,planning and resources. BUGBOY chimed in on this and we shouldn’t rule it out

TWO…… Strormville seems to look good .But it has been noted that pavement bad and locals “Might” be big block.

THREE….SOMERS …NOW HOUSES says TOMATOEHEAD

THIS WILL BE a THREAD To WATCH as more info Comes in………BRIAN and his ties to Dover Historian and locals and our “underground network” in the Wingdale area “MIGHT” surprise us all with Dover Owner Mr. Munsons reseptability of a “Sound Proposal” ….lets keep the Dialogue open and take the next steps!

masracingtd1167
                                    Participant

Dino did I misunderstand you are you saying that Doug Munson is the owner of the Dover property.

hvy70ss
                                        Participant

Hey All,
                                            I’m with bugboy on this one. I’ve always felt that a “resurrection” of the original site was the best place for a reunion or a future track. This has come up before in previous posts and the best 2nd choice goes to Island. Tony is always willing to help out clubs and organizations to get events on Sundays, which is their test and tune day. I run there often. Island for sure has the Dover feel…not much changed from the early ’70’s. But……let’s not rule out Wingdale. I feel for an “event” this year, use Island. We should seriously look into the old Dover site for a new track, even eighth mile. So now, who do we know with VERY deep pockets???

Bob Smith

masracingtd1167
                                            Participant

Did you know that there is an online petition to bring back Connecticut Dragway over 11’000 people have signed it to date

dino
                                                Keymaster

NO -NOT DOUG and not Munson…I got wrong…its MUNCEY…Brian Knows as does most in town ..he has office there…

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Nice about Conn. …….We gotta focus on Home-Base…DOVER …WILL AND SHOULD LEND THEM Support !Whats the site ?

bug-boy

I really think it would be the best to do. getting the old track back. Stormville air port wont happen. people tried to get a car show there and the town shot it down. they don’t want the noise . a lot of people moved up there from the city and they want there quality of life. But the old location is possible. If we bring forward a good business plan a increase of revenue for the town of Wingdale and Dover it could happen. I don’t know who the owner of the property is now but i can find out. every one likes to have a little coin in there pocket. we live in a area with A LOT of drag racers. it can happen and if it does we can get it claimed as a historical site that way it will help to keep it with state funding.

bug-boy

if any one wants to call me about it my # is 462-3368 its my work # and i always answer it i have a 24-7 tow truck. I also own LTR AUTO for those that have seen my TV comerchal.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.