STORMVILLE AIRPORT CONCEPT who knows ???

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION STORMVILLE AIRPORT CONCEPT who knows ???

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Ouch! but then again …”run on Someone elses money”….the suthen way of Nascar ….I’m in the middle of That now 😀

tomatohead
        Participant

Cullyflower ,Dino I “waste” money all the time ……just ask my wife !!! 😀 I waste money on beer 😀 , money on car parts 😀 , money going out to dinner 😀 , money on ebay 😀 , an on an on 😆 …………anyway I like to spend my money ,I dont think Ill be able to spend it when I am DEAD !!! 😆 so check with the other 259 members wait make that 262 members Iam ready to spend some money or donate some money or waste some money on any kind of rebirth of Dover Drag Strip how ever slim the chances are I think some of the other members mite agree……………..tomato……..hey cullyflower sounds like you know some farming too !!!

cullyflower
                quote Tomatohead:

hey cullyflower sounds like you know some farming too !!!
                Cullyflower ,Dino I “waste” money all the time ……just ask my wife !!! 😀 I waste money on beer 😀 , money on car parts 😀 , money going out to dinner 😀 , money on ebay 😀 , an on an on 😆 …………anyway I like to spend my money ,I dont think Ill be able to spend it when I am DEAD !!! 😆 so check with the other 259 members wait make that 262 members Iam ready to spend some money or donate some money or waste some money on any kind of rebirth of Dover Drag Strip how ever slim the chances are I think some of the other members mite agree……………..tomato……..hey cullyflower sounds like you know some farming too !!!

Tomato I grew my first field of tomatoes when I was eight. Retired from tomatoes at sixteen couldn”t stay home to pick
                them when there were drag races to go to.

Back to business. If we are going to attempt to reconstruct Dover we would need to get an option to lease or purchase the
                property. Then you need a good lawyer and some experts in various fields to help. You go to the public meetings with an
                entourage like a rock star. And just like them you are paying all of these guys.
                I think that we should contact Island Dragway and rent the place for Dover Dragstrip reunion drags. Have a streetrod meet
                as part of it. If englishtown gets sixty plus funny cars at the funny car reunion we need to have a funny car eliminator
                paying some $$$ to win. We could probably get some really good magazine coverage from our friend in the business.
                The reason I am putting this idea out for consideration is that if you are putting on this show and get noticed by the
                right person then you have a partner and you use their money.

tomatohead
                Participant

I said something like this in another post and I Agree 120% on renting Island for “Dover Races” and I dont know when the last time was ?? Ithink there was one at Lebanon , there was a Dover race , I didnt make it becuase I didnt know anything about any of this Dover stuff till the website came up and I found it , thanks Dino !! 😀 …..Dover is the first track I ever went to !!! the first thing I remeber I ll never forget we were on the spectator side and I saw what was then a 65 Dodge with the stacks coming out of the hood coming back on the return road , know it now but didnt then , was 9 or 10 ………………………………….they used to call me “cherry tomato” then !!!!!!!!!!!!

dino
                    Keymaster

Let me throw this in the mix…just heard again (from a reliable source) …the mention of how the town hated the noise AND had a large petition circulating to get them closed…pretty dumb after 15 years of operation…that was in 1976 . Where are those people NOW…but even more…what would the present people think. Never let it happen..back then it exsisted and they were against it…Who knows ?

bossguy

My Boss, Chip Brownell, has been on this site and thinks its pretty neat. He told me the mayor of Dover used to go to the nearest neighbors to the track and hand them 300.00 cash on big (noisey) weekends and tell the homeowners to go to Lake George or somewhere for the weekend. Presumably the money came from the tracks payment to the town. The Mayor was a longtime customer of ours and is in a nursing home now but his wife just bought another car from us.

dino
                            Keymaster

THAT is almost TOO hard to believe ….BUT i’ve heard worse….Haven’t we learned a lot about how politics rule everything in the last 10-15 years !Not to say it’s not true…Starting to sound like a Soap Opera ,Huh ? check Dovers Last Day for a bunch of other storys of Why and how it closed…most seem to believe low car count -no income and the gas crisis…but the issue NOW is what you deal with TODAY. that was 1976 …like Smokey Told me today …”EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED “..gotta go with the flow.Todays attitudes ,todays poeple and what or, not they accept and agree to . It’s all about the money …like everything else.

tomatohead
                                Participant

I ve heard a song sung by a girl something like….”Money Changes Everything”……..anyway maybe those who opposed the track have moved or have died or something else in our favor and that was a while ago the general area is the same , there is still really nothing around that area…. just that the track pavement is missing …….you know the way they removed the gravel pretty much almost set up the place so that if it was done again it would need just a little leveling in the shut down area and it would almost be level………….boy can you imagine that………… ❓ tomato

dino
                                    Keymaster

cully seems have been there-done that. And He’s looking at things from a practicle AND creative point of view. Do what works and then take the next step…HEY Great dialogue here !

cullyflower
                                            quote dinotheweirdo:

cully seems have been there-done that. And He’s looking at things from a practicle AND creative point of view. Do what works and then take the next step…HEY Great dialogue here !

Dino I do speak from experience in dealing with projects a lot less controversal than rebuilding Dover the problems
                                            are never ending. Way back if someone needed something done you would go and give them a price and you
                                            could start the next day. Today you need to get a permit and then the headaches start. If it could be done I
                                            would be happy to run the paving machine. Tomato heads idea to go to Island is the way to go it will allow us
                                            to put on this show this year and not spend the next two fighting the locals for a Dover rebuild. Maybe we could
                                            speed up the approval process if we hire Tony Soprano to represent us since he is retired from the sanitation
                                            business he may be available 😆 😆 😆

tomatohead
                                            Participant

My wife is in mexico till the end of next week and will be landing at JFK later the day of the reunion Jan 10. so I should have some time to run “over the hill ” ! and see what Dino has to say about ALL of this !! and I would be happy to drive the ten wheeler with 25 tons of blacktop to paver with cully layin it down ! 😀 wouldnt be the first time for me either. You know its always nice to dream , but if nothing else I hope that the guys who have been in charge of this whole thing from the beginning would like to at lease have a Dover Drag Meet at Island if they think its a good Idea and Tony Soprano doesnt live to far ,his father was partners on a race track in NJ once !! 😀 ……………………..tomato

masracingtd1167
                                                Participant

I e mailed AL Smyth from PORT ATREE to see if it is possible to set up temporary timming equipment for a special event . He e mailed me back and said yes they have done it before and would be willing to help us out . So a race at Stormville would be possible. I do like your idea to run a race at ISLAND DRAGWAY. my thoughts would be to make it a two day deal with a cookout 1 day and racing the next.We would have to find out if we could get enough race cars to make it work. What dose everyone else think.

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Well lets put it this way…SOMETHING IS gona happen ! where …when ? BUT it will happen…Cause we have the interest behind it !

austin-shaker

Hi all im new here also. I used to race at Dover in the 70’s my cars were 1958 chev called BAM BAM ran M stock my last race with BAM BAM I was racing an old falcon , my memory tells me it was in black primer, in the shut down area me on right side of track the falcon lost control came over side swiped my car then vered off the left side of the track flipped and went down the embankment and down into the woods. It took a loader at the end of the day to get the falcon out. no serious injurys While i was helping the guy in the falcon out my family was trying to get to the end of the track in my 63 T bird and it caught fired in pits a day ill always remember. My other car was a 1963 austin healy call Austin Shaker Ran C/ALTERED class ran it a that year then sold it. i have wonderful memorys of Dover, I guess its time i dig out the old trophys and photos and start posting. I’m truly overwhelmed finding this site as I had no idea its was here. As far as Stormville goes its a super idea and should be looked into. i do know several venders at the flee market and if theres anything i can do please email meat INFORCER2002@AOL.COM PLEASE Make the heading so ill know its from someone at this site ,
                                                            stay well be safe I look forword to becoming more involved here. thank you to all the makers of this site and great memorys . Ron O

dino
                                                            Keymaster

THIS WILL BE DISCUSSED AT DOVER-FEST ….

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.