TOMMY D’s Auto Service & Repair -Dover Guy!

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION TOMMY D’s Auto Service & Repair -Dover Guy!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    67gt428
    Participant

I went up to see Vic today , The space he shown me would not fit my needs also i really have no connections in that area.
        I was looking at a newly renovated small gas/auto service station…has 2 bays with new lifts and a air compressor for $2,500 a month..I also know people in this area….the company wants $19,000 to hold in account for fuel and $5,000 for 2 months rent….I will have to get a tire machine/ballancer/press/strut spring compresor…….

The guy who is in there just opened it in Nov 09 and is leaving in a couple of days….He bought a bunch of new shop equipment and went over his head….Buy good used stuff if it gets the job done thats all you need…….

The sales of gas should cover the rent….

Any input i would like to hear from you……Also anyone who might know any possible customers in Dover Plains area ??

Tom

67gt428
        Participant

Well i turned down the full service station . It’s way too expencive here in NY…..My wife said to me lets move to another state, So now we are looking into moving…Now we have to find a state to fit our needs, one thing is since we have 2 kids is a good school……a good location..need a house with some property atleast 1-1/2 Acre or more, dont want a place with laws saying that your only allowed 2 cars and you can’t work on them…So for now NY is on hold……….

Thank you all for your responses and help…..Tommy D

dino
            Keymaster

North Carolina ! …low ‘overhead”..nice weather…do the search ?

mikey

Opinions for free> 😀 If you want to have a repair shop. do that, and only that. Gas WILL NOT pay the rent,because to be price competitive, you’ll probably only make a penny or two a gallon. Gas is a come on, so you can sell customers other stuff. Been there,done that, and you can have the damn shirt. My advice, do one thing, and do it right. Also, if you like decent weather, go south. either of the Carolina’s, or Florida………………Mikey 😆

anonymous

Here’s a little food for thought saying that inspired me over the years…

“To Do A Common Thing”
                        “Uncommonly Well”
                        “Creates Success”

67gt428
                        Participant

Thanks guys !! My wife would like to move to PA , I like NC……My brother retired from the Air Force and lives in Goldboro,NC not that far from Seymour Johnson AFB. IM going to check out NC…….I do like to hear from people that live in other states and you know the laws and regulations.

dino
                            Keymaster

My county has No Smog inspection and 2200 ft. sq.ft. home -taxes only $500. yr.! “we be in da country “.VERY out of the way …but Hey -do your homework and locate just outside of the high rent district in a neighboring county.Short ride to civilization. I’m 30 minutes from Southern Pines-Golf mecca and nice stores .All we have here is fast food ,chewing tobacco, and bass boats…AND Rockingham Dragway ..Roxrec and Paulie know.

67gt428
                                Participant

Hey Dino…..We looked at a couple of houses in Rockingham on ( REALTORS.COM ) and to my suprise my wife wants to go down there for a week and take a look……I checked up on the schools and they have high marks…..Plus most have some good property…I like to have privacy ….we will look in a couple of locations and a shop of some sort………….
                                    If you dont mind me asking …..How much property do you have??

Tommy D

cullyflower

A few tips that I have for you to have a successful search for a good location for your business.
                                        1) Only enter PA. or New Jersey to get to I-95 south entering Delaware.
                                        2)After passing welcome to Delaware sign drive 200 miles south on I-95.
                                        3) upon reaching 200 miles your search can begin.
                                        4) You can look east , west or further south it’s a good place to have a business without all
                                        the B.S. that a business has to put up with up here.

dino
                                        Keymaster

Tommy …Do work for ALL the realters here…Can steer ya in the right direction….Be advised …economy taking locals for a beating here. Call me …I’ll fill ya in …Need to locate where there’s some Business action .Recommend Wilmington Area and any place north of it alomg the coast …Also Fayetteville is Booming ’cause the Base -Ft, Bragg is expanding. Camp LeJune area good too.

mikey

Hey, cullyflower and Dino are right on the money 😮 ……….Mikey 😆 😆

dino
                                                Keymaster

Tommy ….Duh -> me WE HAVE ODF Real Estate guys On the Forum! In North Carolina! Roger Garren….Greensboro Area …Can Network and access Info for Ya … Me bad, to forget rcgarren@yahoo.com …user name: rcgarren Also Gary Balfe In Monroe,N.C, Keller Williams Realty….not on forum yet ,But I’ll Catch him! Both Former Dover Racers…Can’t go wrong with that !

bobrizzi

Don’t know if this can help out but the Pennysaver just came in REPAIR SHOP DOVER,NY 2 bay garage, 3160 RT22 contact Kim @518 312 7600 Riz~~~

67gt428
                                                        Participant
                                                            quote bobrizzi:

Don’t know if this can help out but the Pennysaver just came in REPAIR SHOP DOVER,NY 2 bay garage, 3160 RT22 contact Kim @518 312 7600 Riz~~~

THIS IS THE ONE I TURNED DOWN IN JANUARY………didnt want to deal with gas…….I just spoke with kim again 3 days ago….in the contract says they are responsable for everything that needs repair or replacement except the hoses and nozzles……i will make between 5.5cents to 10.5 cents a gallon….based on gallons sold……..

IM JUST UNSURE OF DOING THIS IN NY BECAUSE NY IS TAXING US TO DEATH AND IT IS GETTING WORSE……I CAN MAKE A BETTER LIVING OFF THE TAXES I PAY THAN THE MONEY I TAKE HOME IN A PAY CHECK.LOL!!!!!!!

Thanks for the response…..Tommy D

67gt428
                                                            Participant

Hi Everyone…..

I found a very good huge 2 bay shop, has most of the needed equipment included , including a NYS Inspection machine.
                                                                Has room to fit 4 cars inside has 2 lifts…cost is 1850.00 a month

Going to see my Lawyer tomorrow…And to register the name…which at this point i havent came up with one yet….

Any one have any name ideas…..I will be doing just repairs/service….No custom stuff……(maybe later on)

Then i will have Dino hook me up with a sign…

Thanks for any input !!!

Tommy D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.