TOMMY D’s Auto Service & Repair -Dover Guy!

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION TOMMY D’s Auto Service & Repair -Dover Guy!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    67gt428
    Participant

pics

Attachments:

67gt428
        Participant

one more

Attachments:

bossguy

Is that near Allens tree service Tom?

67gt428
                Participant
                    quote bossguy:

Is that near Allens tree service Tom?

Yes it is , The son now runs the tree service and the parents have this shop. Thats all i really know about it

67gt428
                    Participant

The garage is a 4 bays 40×50 , has no real office . Does have a bathroom….LOL !!!
                        I am waiting for my name for the busness to be ok’d….

I will mostly doing brakes , front end & suspensions , exhaust , tune ups and such… many kids lower hondas…I may install lowering kit also

mikey

You really should look into collector car and classic car repairs like Bob Rizzi was talking about. If you can do the old school stuff, that’s always a plus. Also, If you can weld, and have a mig, you can offer roll cage installs, mods, etc. Just depends on what you can, and are willing to do for a buck. My first shop was in Wappingers, and I did Gas, any type of auto repairs on anything that came in the door, and light body work and touch up. The shop was Next door to Valley Performance machine Shop on market Street. Second business was in Newburgh/New Windsor, and did work for three used car lots, plus any retail that came through the door. Also had two tow trucks, and was on the city towing rotation, good money there especially in the winter. Also did complete body work and paint, stock and race engine building and freshen-ups, then got into installing roll cages in street stocks and late models, and cage and frame repairs on dirt sportsman and modifieds. I also raced them and sponsored a few. I had two full time employees, and three part timers. I finally sold the business, and the name in 1987 and went to work on trucks. Finally had benefits, with a growing family that was necessary, and it seems like I would go to work and when I got home, the kids had grown a foot. Again, good luck, hope I didn’t bore you. ………………….Mikey 😆

bobrizzi

Mikey good advice car prep either restoration or race is a big plus…. most guys do not rush the repair shop and once a job is done word of mouth brings in customers fast…… If there is any Car Shows make it a routine to show up.Alot of guys have cars but either are to old to work on them,do not have the time or do not have the knowledge….. and you also pick up repairs on their daily drivers as well as family and friends.The size of the garage is huge if the landlord lets you U-haul Rentals sets up dealers with no investment ! to rent their trucks and trailers and with a repair shop you can service their trucks on location brake jobs,etc. and that also brings in customers . Good Luck Tom.

dino
                                Keymaster

Photos Most Helpful…Will copy -edit and shoot ya some ideas.

67gt428
                                    Participant

Yes to collector & classic car repairs…I think i will be moving towards that….i will see how things go and then move into that direction…….Can not do body work at this location…….or just take it head on now and advertize for it now…and also do performance work, speed equipment and such…..Old Skool…is me…I will look into it further……

Thanks!!!! Tommy D

67gt428
                                        Participant

I would like to get this shop going and see how things go and then look into doing classic cars. I know every one knows they dont build cars now they way they used to be…the suspensions , front ends , brakes……dont last very long…on and on …

67gt428
                                            Participant

Also i can’t get into anything to heavy at first as i will be the only one working……cant afford to hire anyone at this time..My brother will help me out on his 1 day off , and a couple of other friends here and then…I will have to cover the shop and home , I dont like to have work sitting around, I get the work done quickly and right. Some people dont have the money and want a quick/cheap fix to keep going , im fine with that. You just have to know who the BS ones are.

67gt428
                                                Participant
                                                    quote 67gt428:

I would like to get this shop going and see how things go and then look into doing classic cars. I know every one knows they dont build cars now they way they used to be…the suspensions , front ends , brakes……dont last very long…on and on …

The said above might be taken the wrong way…….the way i should have wrote it…..The old cars were built tough…
                                                    The newer vehicles—-A different story newer vehicles the parts dont last long at all ….Yes i did work for them for the last 6 yrs.i was the A mechanic and would make them from $7,000 a week (slow time of yr) to $14,000 a wk during busy time April thru Nov…Control arm bushings falling out , tie rods some vehs at 14k miles, broken springs , front bearing/ hub assy , I love doing ball joints on full size 4×4 trucks…..the brake rotors an the chevy trucks rust really bad at 17-18K miles…

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Ok …He’s ‘qualified!

patina
                                                        Participant

67gt428 Just curious you mentioned somewhere here that the place came with inspection equipment, do you have a NYS inspectors license it would come in handy.

Pat

67gt428
                                                            Participant
                                                                quote patina:

67gt428 Just curious you mentioned somewhere here that the place came with inspection equipment, do you have a NYS inspectors license it would come in handy.

Pat

Yes the shop has a NYSI machine and i have had my license since 87 . I just got word from my lawyer that the business name i requested is now mine.. Now i can get some signs made……will check on the sign regulations tomorrow……….now it will take a week and 1/2 to get my numbers……..

Tommy D’s
                                                                Auto Service & Repair
                                                                641 rt 216 Poughquag, NY 12570

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.