55 E/G – New old ride

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING 55 E/G – New old ride

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 1,035 total)
  • Author
    tomblake
    Participant

All the mods done. Put on the doors and front clip and off to the track for testing Thursday.

Mikey….Take your time and fix the throttle pedal right just like you have done the rest of the car.

Attachments:

mikey

Thanks Tom, I will. Let me know if you’re definitely going, and I might take a ride down. I really want to see the car, up close and in person. 😆

tomblake
            Participant

We did get to test Thursday. The slipping problem was solved with the changing of transmissions. It launches hard now and showed the problem of the chassis needing adjustment. The rear end was left neutral, no preload, but now we need to scale the car or by trial and error adjust the preload.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt300/Tomblake/th_1stpasslaunch.jpg

babycakes
                Participant

Tom,looks like your finally on the right track! Gotta feel good,behind that wheel,with the ‘fruits of your labor’! It only gets better from here! I’m hoping Mikey has the same luck as you with “Pappa’s Toy”! Pete.

dino
                    Keymaster

Quiet from the “Oddjob” garage….you ready to test?

tomblake
                        Participant

Tested last week, car is running good except need to make chassis adjustments. Working on a more streetable engine and will convert the car from race car to both race and street like the Mustang.

frank-j-majauskas
                            Participant

Tom, the 55 looks great ❗ Yeah, that would be really nice to be able to use the
                                car for street or strip as you please. What is the c.i. of the motor in the 55 now ❓
                                How about hp ❓ What is your best et with the car ❓ It looks like you never have
                                trouble looking for another project. 😆 Keep us posted and “Happy Thanksgiving” to
                                you and your family… 😛

Frank… 😎

tomblake
                                Participant

Frank….Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
                                    Engine in the 55 now is a 587 cu. in. BB that dyno’d at 934 hp with one carburetor. We haven’t got a good ET yet, at the Dover race we couldn’t stop the street tires from spinning but ran a 11.2 at 133 mph. Came back home, put on the slicks, changed the rear ratio and than the transmission started to slip real bad, ran several mid 6’s on the 1/8 mile with it slipping. Changed the transmission from the PG to the turbo 440. That fixed the slipping problem but now the chassis needs some adjustment (pre-load on the ladder bar suspension). Wish I had an in car camera for the first time I let go the transbrake button with the turbo 400, surprised me and didn’t expect that hard of a launch.
                                    We are putting together the street engine now but would like to get a good test run with the 587 before we take it out. The engine has developed a blow by problem and that may make my decision to pull it before the next test, but still undecided as of now.

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
                                    Participant

Hey Tom, I guess you told me what I really wanted to hear. I was hoping that you might make a “all balls out” run with that motor before switching it out with the street/strip
                                        replacement. Sounds like you have the bases covered ❗ 😆 Well, keep us posted. We
                                        love seeing what you’re doing ❗ Hey Tom, it appears that you have quite a collection 0f
                                        572 ci motors ❓ If you have a really cheap,cheap,cheap, cheap one that you want to get rid
                                        of, let me know ❗ 😆 😮 😛 Second thought, don’t bother… 😆

Frank… 😎

tomblake
                                        Participant

Frank……Only one 572 engine and that’s the one in the Mustang now. The 587, an all out 14.5/1 compression race engine went into the Mustang when we started all this. It was the only engine left from our race days. All our race stuff was stolen except for the 587 and it survived because it was in a friends air conditioned business being stored. When we came back to Lakeland we were starting the engine up on the shop floor every week until we found a place to put it. That’s when we found the Mustang, a place to put the motor. We were driving it to car shows on race fuel till the race fuel got up to $13/gallon. Than we got the low compression 572 so we could use pump gas in the Mustang.
                                            The 587 became a backup motor for the Mustang till we got the 55 Chevy. Than the 587 being the only engine not in a vehicle went to the 55 and that became the new home for the 587. Since we want to drive the 55 on the street we needed an engine that will use pump gas. We have switched both cars over to E85 pump fuel but there are not that many stations that carry the E85. So our next plan was get an engine that will run on pump gas (91 octane) that fuel is available all over. The new engine is a lower compression 10.25/1 and that’s the new engine we are putting together now.

tomblake
                                            Participant

The new engine is coming along, more parts will be here Wednesday.

Attachments:

mikey

Looking good,Tom. I’m still working on my throttle pedal bracket. Got one side welded, now just need to mount (weld)it back to the car. I’ll be in touch.
                                                    ……………….Mikey 😆

tomblake
                                                    Participant

The new engine will be done next week, last part is scheduled to arrive Tuesday, rebuilt ATI Damper.
                                                        Planing to test the 55 for the last time with the race engine tomorrow Saturday at the Lakeland track.

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
                                                        Participant

Hey Tom, Good luck tomorrow ❗ Give that race motor a good thrashing before
                                                            you retire her ❗ 😆 Looking forward to your report tomorrow… 😆

Frank… 😎

tomblake
                                                            Participant

Not a perfect night of testing but a good night. The engine said a goodbye with the best 60′ and two of the highest mph runs.
                                                                Set up the rear ladder bars best way I could without scales. Turned out close but needs a little more adjusting.
                                                                Didn’t make a full pass on any of the 3 tries, due to mostly tires spinning, but did make the two fastest mph runs 108.8 and a 109.5. Only one pass in the 6’s but letting off and feathering the throttle on all the passes the car felt pretty good.
                                                                The last pass was the best launch with a 1.43 – 60′
                                                                The slicks are old and not hooking up very good, the chassis needs a little more adjusting and the engine has the blow by problem but all that aside testing turned out ok.
                                                                Nothing broke, we can change engines and now freshen up the race motor. Next project will be to make it streetable with a real license plate.
                                                                The street engine is coming along and should start the engine swap next week.

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 1,035 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.