55 E/G – New old ride

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING 55 E/G – New old ride

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 1,035 total)
  • Author
    mikey
        quote dinotheweirdo:

you’re Up at 4 ? go to bed !

Read it again, Dino, it’s PM, not AM 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

mikey

Tom, I agree with you on the choice of trans fluid. I tried the Synthetic Royal Purple, and then went to the type F. I really think that the type F is the way to go. It has real “lubricants” in it since the “internals” are a little different than GM and Chrysler. Maybe clutch material, or brass content, pump configuration or what’s in the pump, not sure.
            Oh, Tom, I got the problem with the trans brake “Rev Limiter” fixed, it was a wire. Never hooked up to the solenoid wire. Trans brake worked, but if i held it wide open with the brake on, it went to 5000RPM, which is the converter stall. I put a 3900 chip in it, tried it out in front of the house, and it stopped at 4000. When I let go of the button, it was like being shot out of a cannon !! My wife said it was smokin’ the tires, and picked up the left front about 6″. My C/Gas Nova used to do the same thing. But, I think with a nice burnout at the track, I’d better have the wheelie bars on when the lights come down!! ………………Mikey 😆

P.S. I’ve got a trans temp gauge in the Willy’s, and the only time it seems to move, is when I take sorta long drives around my neighborhood. I don’t remember it moving much if at all when I make a pass. I’ll have to keep an eye on that next time. 😕

tomblake
            Participant

Mikey….if it’s picking up the front wheels in the street, right about having the wheelie bars down on the track.

Got a brand new transbrake solenoid today, installed it but it would not work.Checked the plunger movement and it was only .144 and should be .200. Put the old one back in and everything works good. New one being returned tomorrow.

babycakes
                Participant

Tom,gonna try her out this weekend?

tomblake
                    Participant

Pete….Still working on some small things but the car could be ready to test after about 20 minutes work. Got the center panels, seat, doors and front end off. Doing some of those things that will make it easier to work on the next time. The friend that helped me get it ready for the 4th race is working the next two weekends and I would like him to see it run when it finally runs good. Don’t know if I can wait that long but will be posting the results when we do test.

dino
                        Keymaster

Video a test in the street!

tomblake
                            Participant

Dino…..The street test would be fun and I know some of the neighbors do like the noise and fast cars, but don’t want to find out the ones that may not like it. Feel like I have been lucky taking the Mustang out a couple of times a week with no complaints.

dino
                                Keymaster

3 am?

tomblake
                                    Participant

Yes, but post before going to bed at 3:42. Had to get up early.

babycakes
                                        Participant

Tom.when I look at the time you get up.it reminds me of that ‘ole’ commercial ” time to make the doughtnuts” from Dunkin Doughnuts, remember? 😥 🙄

patina
                                            Participant

Cakes for you 😆 😆 😆

tomblake
                                                Participant

Pete…As mikey said, been to the track twice since the Dover race. At Lebanon couldn’t keep the rear tires from spinning and down track it ran very good, got to 134 mph. Came home and put the slicks on the car along with changing the rear end ratio from the 4.57 to a 3.70. First through it may be too much load on the converter. The tires are not spinning and now something in the drive line is slipping. Thought it must be the converter so we changed it and went back to test again. Same problem, still slipping bad enought to reach the rev limiter on the 1/8th mile with the 3.70 rear gear.
                                                    We are working on changing the cross member to be able to install the turbo 400 and/or the PG. We had to cut the PG cross member out because it was welded in place. Now making a cross member that will be moveable to adapt to either transmission.

babycakes
                                                    Participant

Thanks for the update Tom,I hope it all works out for you with ‘trans’ gremlins.Just like the weather,you never know what to expect with these hot rods! Gotta give you alot of credit,your a diehard,taking on the challenges,one at a time!

tomblake
                                                        Participant

The turbo 400 is in the car and it turns the wheels. Had it running with the drive line all connected. Just a few more minor modifications and we will be ready to test the car again, most likely this Thursday evening at the Lakeland track.
                                                            (Mikey if your ready, come on out with the Willis).

mikey

I’d love to , but I still have not rebuilt the brackets for the throttle pedal. I’ve already had, and scrapped 3 different ideas on the “fix”. Working on idea #4 right now. I want it sturdy, but I really don’t want to take the dash out, along with some of them wiring. I’m close though. …………Mikey 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 1,035 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.