55 E/G – New old ride

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING 55 E/G – New old ride

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,035 total)
  • Author
    tomblake
    Participant

The grill that was removed was a chrome florescent light fixture cover. I didn’t like that one either. The car is coming along but this is a big job for me, for others maybe not so big.

frank-j-majauskas
        Participant

You’re doing great Tom ❗ I think that project would be a big job for anybody ❗

Frank… 😎

tomblake
            Participant

Looked back at the front end and the major changes. Decided to post them all in one place.

Attachments:

babycakes
                Participant

Tom,it makes a world of difference with a ‘stock’ grill….NICE WORK!!! Pete.

tomblake
                    Participant

It took most of the day but the grill installation was completed. We had to fabricated brackets to hold the grill to the fiberglass clip. Than we had to assemble the chrome trim that goes on the hood with more tabs and brackets. Than some of the brackets needed to be fiberglassed in place. After all the parts were fitted together and the fiberglass cured we took some pictures and than disassembled the whole thing to be installed after paint.

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
                        Participant

Nice fit Tom, real nice ❗ LOOKING GOOD ❗ 😀

Frank… 😎

tomblake
                            Participant

Took another step today, primer on all the metal parts plus the stripped Fiberglass door.

Attachments:

babycakes
                                Participant

Tom to me, the ‘body’ is looking ‘razor’ straight at this point, really NICE. I suspect in the next few weeks you’ll be laying on some paint? Appreciate you sharing the updated photos, your doing a ‘GREAT’ job!!! Pete.

tomblake
                                    Participant

Here are a couple of areas that takes a while to do without showing a lot of progress. The hood needed some support, didn’t fit well and started to show cracks because it was pretty flimsy. The doors needed some building up to make them match the quarters and the front fenders.

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
                                        Participant

Hey Tom, you there ❓ 😆 We haven’t heard from you in about 10 days.
                                            Are you taking a much needed vacation from all that body work ❓ 😆
                                            Hope all is well down there ❗

Frank… 😎

tomblake
                                            Participant

Thanks for asking Frank, but no vacation from bodywork. The more I do the more I find that needs fixing. Some of the things I am doing just don’t make for good pictures. Building the edges around the door and flatting the edges of the hood, all fiberglass work. If it gets a little cool the fiberglass doesn’t cure very fast and results can take days. Example, the hood was made for a race application and is pretty flimsy. Had to reinforce some areas and add more to the edges to make them flat between the Dzus fasteners. Maybe getting too critical about the final result but if it isn’t done before paint it won’t get done for a long time.
                                                Today I just got the second rocker panel, first one tacked in place and the second one is trimmed to fit.

frank-j-majauskas
                                                Participant

Hey Tom, You would think that you’d be running out of car to work on pretty soon ❓ 😆
                                                    Well you know yourself that the finish paint will only be as good as the body preparation.
                                                    You’ve got a good game plan and the car will be a piece of art when completed. 😛

Frank… 😎

tomblake
                                                    Participant

Still working. Decided to install new rocker panels since almost all the other metal has been replaced. The car doesn’t even look like the same car anymore. The more I do the more looks like needs to be done. Going to have stop one of these days or I won’t make the race.

Attachments:

tomblake
                                                        Participant

A break from the bodywork today. Changed the center section from the 3.70 spool to a 3.25 Detroit Locker. Another step toward a more streetable driver. The removed spool center section will get changed back to the 4.57 gear from the 3.70. So now we can drive on the street with a 3.25 gear posi-traction and race with the 4.57 gear spool.

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
                                                            Participant

Nice plan of attack Tom ❗ Any problem getting those big meats out from
                                                                under the rear wheel wells in order to pull the axles out ❓ 😆

Frank… 😎

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,035 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.